Kite or In A Little While, as singles??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POPMUZZZIK

The Fly
So which single will be released next? IALW or Kite should definately be released. POP had five singles, and that album was way out of the Top 100 by the third, and even second, single. A new single would make ATYCLB stay even longer on the charts, because it's survived more than a year. Stuck shows no signs of coming back.
A NOTE TO U2's U.S. MARKETING TEAM: release In A Little While or Kite this month. Stuck did very well on Adult top 40 (# 9) and the American top 40 (it was in the top 40 for 12 weeks). Kite or IALW could equal, and maybe surpass, that success.
What does everyone else think?

Originally posted by POPMUZZZIK:

So which single will be released next? IALW or Kite should definately be released. POP had five singles, and that album was way out of the Top 100 by the third, and even second, single. A new single would make ATYCLB stay even longer on the charts, because it's survived more than a year. Stuck shows no signs of coming back.
A NOTE TO U2's U.S. MARKETING TEAM: release In A Little While or Kite this month. Stuck did very well on Adult top 40 (# 9) and the American top 40 (it was in the top 40 for 12 weeks). Kite or IALW could equal, and maybe surpass, that success.
What does everyone else think?

Well. I think Kite probably will be the next single released. I think IALW SHOULD be the next single released. In the end I don't care really. Hit em with Grace and see what happens.

When the album first came out Kieran, most people I talked to, and many in this forum, said that In A Little While should be a single. It's top 40 material.

Definitely IALW...I think Kite may be overkill on the kinda slow...thoughtful ballad thing...for now. It'll do well when it's released in a little while (sorry had to do that)

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

I don't think there will be another single personally, if they are gonna be making a new album they will probably wait to put a new single out there until then. Or maybe not. IALW would be great, or a live NY although that might be overkill in the current times. Kite would have been my first choice before stuck, although stuck live is great.

"Kite" IS the new radio single. There will be no more videos or new singles. They are now going to concentrate on the new album which they have already started.

Gherman, if Kite has been released, it's not getting any airplay here on the east coast. U2.com or youtwo.net haven't mentioned anything about Kite being released. The only way to know for sure is to wait until it's been annouced on u2.com, or other websites.
People here have said that they heard it on a few stations in Canada. But that doesn't mean its been released. What U2's U.S. marketing team should do is release In A Little While or Kite, and make a video for it. The grammies are coming, plus the superbowl, and the album is still doing great. A new single will keep this interest going longer, and will help the album reach 4X platinum status.
To help get album of the year, a new single must be released. BD was already recognized at the grammies, and the album can't win album of the year based on the great success of "Stuck" alone. U2 have reached a new, younger audience with the success of Stuck at the top 40 level. It was a HUGE American top 40 hit, maybe bigger than BD because BD was bigger at the modern rock stations.
In a Little While or Kite will match or surpass the success of "Stuck," which reached #9 on the Adult top 40. Even if either Kite or IALW don't do well, at least an attempt was made to further the success of ATYCLB.
The band seem very concious of wanting to be on the U.S. radio, and it may take more promotion because their an older band. But it worked with BD and "Stuck." Their record company should at least try again with a North American (and maybe Europe also)release of IALW or Kite. But they need to do it in January, before the album slides because of the post-holiday decrease in sales. A great video needs to accompany this new single. It doesn't seem worth it if the band is going to make great records, but their record company doesn't release the proper singles from it.
I hope an attempt is made to release one more single. Even POP had five U.S. singles.

IALW!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Please o please It's me fav. song on the CD. *psychic message to Bono*

------------------
~*Mona*~ 97%compatible with Bono
"Perhaps Miss PLEBA herself" ~GypsyHeartGirl~

"Bono...a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

YOU KNOW I BELIEVE IT

i believe kite entered the airplay chart at 74 this past week in canada. on thursday (the third) it will be updated again...not bad for a song that hasnt even been "released."

------------------
-death bear

IALW will never be released as a single. Bono can't sing that song every night, it is too much of a strain on his voice. That is why they didn't release Running to Stand Still. They planned to, and they filmed a video and everything, then at the last minute Bono decided that it would be too difficult, and they didn't end up releasing the song!!

Kite has a video in Canada. It is the performance from the DVD!!

Zoomerang, that's great news! It's obvious that radio stations like Kite because they're playing it when it's not even the current single. That's even more reason why it should be released in N. America.

This is what bothers me about the release of U2 singles. It's clear that the stations want new U2 to play, but here in the U.S. their record company takes so long to release a song. They should release it now! while interest in the album is peaking again (i.e. grammies, band of year recognition, etc.)

Spinninghead, I noticed that In a Little While was removed from most of the setlists for their 3rd leg of Elevation. They usually don't release a song that they don't play in concert. And yes, you're right, the song is hard to sing. But I hope IALW gets released to N. American radio anyway.

There's no point of U2 making great songs if they're not going to get played on the radio. The band have even said they were concious of getting on the radio with ATYCLB. It's a guarantee that either In a Little While or Kite will get good (or even great) airplay if it's released in N. American. They're sure to do good on the charts also.

If their record company doesn't release another single from ATYCLB to U.S. radio, the band should break up. They definately shouldn't make another album. What's the point? If the songs were average, I would understand. But both of the 2 songs mentioned will do great on radio.

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
IALW will never be released as a single. Bono can't sing that song every night, it is too much of a strain on his voice.

No offence, but that seems like a rather limp reason not to release it as a single. It's like all those old Beatles hits - do you think they could ever reproduce some of that stuff on stage?

As for the Kite video, that's nothing to write home about IMO. This will seem pretty harsh to some, but I thought it was possibly the most feeble performance from U2 that I've seen in a while. Normally I just laugh when people say Bono's voice is wrecked, but here he can barely hold the notes.

------------------
"I could meet you
We could be on the same side of the table
We could talk about what kind of person
you were tryin' to attract
We could look down from on high
and laugh..."

Originally posted by Kieran McConville:
No offence, but that seems like a rather limp reason not to release it as a single. It's like all those old Beatles hits - do you think they could ever reproduce some of that stuff on stage?

some songs are just studio songs, they are hard torepat night in and night out on a tour, the Beatles never toured past 1966, so they basically became a studio band, and when they did perform live it was no longer than 30 minutes and their tours were very short. I think its a very plausible excuse and besides Kite is a better song anyway.

------------------

Originally posted by U2DMfan:
some songs are just studio songs, they are hard torepat night in and night out on a tour, the Beatles never toured past 1966, so they basically became a studio band, and when they did perform live it was no longer than 30 minutes and their tours were very short. I think its a very plausible excuse and besides Kite is a better song anyway.

Yeah well I disagree, so we'll agree to disagree, yes?

I'd like to see WILATW because I think it would be fresh since it hasn't gotten airplay & never was performed live. I think it would sound great on the radio...I think Kite will be the last single, and I can see it doing well on the AC charts. The live performance from the DVD would make a nice, and refreshingly, live video.

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
IALW will never be released as a single. they didn't release Running to Stand Still. They planned to, and they filmed a video and everything, then at the last minute Bono decided that it would be too difficult, and they didn't end up releasing the song!!

It wasn't Running to Stand still, it was Red Hill Mining Town. They played Running to Stand still basically at EVERY show for the JT and lovetown tours.
Anyway, I reckon it will be Kite....but I don't want Kite to be burnt like Walk On was. So I reckon they should wait to see what happens with Stuck after the grammies.
Just my two cents worth.
WHYWHY

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see. If there's another single, it's almost certain that it will be either Kite or In a Little While. With either, they can't lose. They're both good songs.

It's amazing that 17 months after the release of ATYCLB, the album is still floating in the Billboard top 60, and that they have a hit song on the charts with "Stuck..."

Hopefully a new single will be released this month. It's the perfect time. U2 are everywhere: "Stuck..." and "Beautiful Day" are still getting huge airplay, they won at the AMA's, they finished number one in almost all of the Rolling Stone awards, Spin magazine named them "band of the year," they're playing at the Superbowl, and they have 8 grammy nominations. Now is the perfect time for a new single. Stuck has done its job for six months, now a new single should be released to keep interest going.

Originally posted by WHYWHY:
It wasn't Running to Stand still, it was Red Hill Mining Town. They played Running to Stand still basically at EVERY show for the JT and lovetown tours.
Anyway, I reckon it will be Kite....but I don't want Kite to be burnt like Walk On was. So I reckon they should wait to see what happens with Stuck after the grammies.
Just my two cents worth.
WHYWHY

Your right!! Thanks for correcting me
smile.gif
!! I remember reading that in a few places, but for some reason I always thought of RTSS, but of course RHMT is a much tougher song to sing!!

------------------
Official Dog-Walker of the ScottPhisto Society

I don't mean to be arrogant, but ...I do feel that we are meant to be one of the great groups. - Bono, Rolling Stone, 1981

I heard the most AMAZING version of Kite on the Phoenix 11-23 bootleg. Bono can sing that song damn well.........

Hah, I had this question as a poll up on my website for a couple of months and the 429 votes overwhelmingly leaned in favor of Kite although In A Little While is my personal pick for this. And, to whoever said "Kite IS the next radio single", that is not necessarily so everywhere. Wild HOney (believe it or not) is getting played daily on L.A. Alternative Rock (of all formats) station KROQ here in L.A.

Ok, here's the poll results:

What should the next single from ATYCLB be?

Kite 199 (46%)

In A Little While 76 (17%)

When I Look At The World 55 (12%)

Wild Honey 17 (3%)

Peace on Earth 23 (5%)

New York 55 (12%)

Grace 4 (0%)

429 Total votes

this is uncanny. when beautiful day was first released someone on this board mentioned nonchalantly that the play list WILL BE the order of the single releases. i forgot who it was.

foray

Is anyone else a bit upset that Kite might be/will be/could be released as a single? I don't know...any U2 on the airwaves is a good thing, but the thought of my local Top 40 station playing it in between Britney Spears and 'NSYNC really saddens me. I think, if this makes any sense, that Kite is really too beautiful for radio.

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Yes, Paxe, Kite is a much better song than the stuff that gets played on top 40 stations. But the exposure can only help U2. For that reason, I hope it gets released.

Back
Top Bottom