Kite new version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
After looking at the youtube link and listening to Sydney 3's performance, is it too far fetched to say this song could become the Bad and UTEOTW of the 00's?

A non single that was a show stopper, and outdoes the studio version. Epic from start to finish.

Sorry, what i meant by magic was that it can reach a wide audience plus the :applaud: :rockon: :drool:

Good idea U2girl. The new Kite (Live) deserves its own thread.

I just was thinking about one of the reflections made below, is Kite (Live 2006) the 00s equivalent of Bad (Live) from the 80s and Please (Live) from the 90s – “a breathtaking set piece, show-stopper, classic live epic”?

From Elmo at u2log yesterday:

I really hope some good quality bootlegs of these Australian shows make it out soon, because what U2 have done with Kite on this tour is like what they did with Bad: take a stand-out album track and turn it into a breathtaking set piece, show-stopper, classic live epic.

Edge takes the roof off with his extended solo/outro during which Bono flies the kite in the crowd. And when you think things literally can’t get any higher, Bono sings one last chorus, letting go of the kite. And it is honestly the most incredible, moving moment I have ever seen U2 perform, ever. And what makes it all the more beautiful, is that it is just them as a band, this heart melting song and Bono flying a kite – a freaking kite!

Who cares in that moment, about all the technology, all the sensory overload? U2 don’t need that. It’s like Bono has taken all he talks about not wanting to ever grow out of feeling wonderment for world, and solidified it into the most perfect piece of theatre he’s ever created. But it is such a heavy song – ‘I want you to know that you don’t need me anymore / I want you to know that you do need anyone, or anything at all.’

This track for me, sums up everything about U2 that makes them the greatest band in the history of music: the simple fact that life is complex. We have to grow up and be responsible, people will die and leave us on our own, everything you know will change one day, in an instant. ‘Who’s to know when the time has come around? / Don’t want to see you cry/ I know that this is not goodbye.’ But smell the flowers while you can, because so much is so lovely about the world. I don’t mean to go so over the top here, but I want to convey as best I can, the beauty and the magic of this moment. I cried. DAMN!

If it’s true that Bono is the driving force behind U2 who pushes them to keep going, then I don’t think we have anything to worry about them stopping any time soon. I know we were all traumatised by the ‘we have to go away’ speech, preparing for every tour to be the last – I can’t see that happening for a good long while.

In terms of mastering their craft, I think U2 have hit a new creative peak, and Bono doesn’t seem happy to rely on passion alone in his performance anymore – he could easily take up a second (or is that third, fourth?) career as an opera tenor – he holds incredibly difficult notes for long, loooooooong periods. Night after night, making it all look easy. We’ve waited a long time to see this, and it has been so, so worth it.

U2’s commitment – to their fans and to eachother – is inspiring stuff. You can stay true to your essence while pushing yourself ever further. The latest U2 singles – Saints, and Window in the Skies, one a nod to their roots, the other looking to the future – could not be more different, yet noone other than U2 could have created them.

OK. I’m feeling totally awestruck at the moment, so I’ll stop.

These days run away like horses over the hills.

U2Soar said:

I just was thinking about one of the reflections made below, is Kite (Live 2006) the 00s equivalent of Bad (Live) from the 80s and Please (Live) from the 90s – “a breathtaking set piece, show-stopper, classic live epic”?

From Elmo at u2log yesterday:

I really hope some good quality bootlegs of these Australian shows make it out soon, because what U2 have done with Kite on this tour is like what they did with Bad: take a stand-out album track and turn it into a breathtaking set piece, show-stopper, classic live epic.

Edge takes the roof off with his extended solo/outro during which Bono flies the kite in the crowd. And when you think things literally can’t get any higher, Bono sings one last chorus, letting go of the kite. And it is honestly the most incredible, moving moment I have ever seen U2 perform, ever. And what makes it all the more beautiful, is that it is just them as a band, this heart melting song and Bono flying a kite – a freaking kite!

Who cares in that moment, about all the technology, all the sensory overload? U2 don’t need that. It’s like Bono has taken all he talks about not wanting to ever grow out of feeling wonderment for world, and solidified it into the most perfect piece of theatre he’s ever created. But it is such a heavy song – ‘I want you to know that you don’t need me anymore / I want you to know that you do need anyone, or anything at all.’

This track for me, sums up everything about U2 that makes them the greatest band in the history of music: the simple fact that life is complex. We have to grow up and be responsible, people will die and leave us on our own, everything you know will change one day, in an instant. ‘Who’s to know when the time has come around? / Don’t want to see you cry/ I know that this is not goodbye.’ But smell the flowers while you can, because so much is so lovely about the world. I don’t mean to go so over the top here, but I want to convey as best I can, the beauty and the magic of this moment. I cried. DAMN!

If it’s true that Bono is the driving force behind U2 who pushes them to keep going, then I don’t think we have anything to worry about them stopping any time soon. I know we were all traumatised by the ‘we have to go away’ speech, preparing for every tour to be the last – I can’t see that happening for a good long while.

In terms of mastering their craft, I think U2 have hit a new creative peak, and Bono doesn’t seem happy to rely on passion alone in his performance anymore – he could easily take up a second (or is that third, fourth?) career as an opera tenor – he holds incredibly difficult notes for long, loooooooong periods. Night after night, making it all look easy. We’ve waited a long time to see this, and it has been so, so worth it.

U2’s commitment – to their fans and to eachother – is inspiring stuff. You can stay true to your essence while pushing yourself ever further. The latest U2 singles – Saints, and Window in the Skies, one a nod to their roots, the other looking to the future – could not be more different, yet noone other than U2 could have created them.

OK. I’m feeling totally awestruck at the moment, so I’ll stop.

These days run away like horses over the hills.

Great post! I know how you feel, I am in constant awe of them and it's really hard to put in to words how they move me. It's nice to know so many others feel the same way.:wave:

Hi Jeannieco!

Hi U2girl, End Of World is definitely an outstanding Live song yet I see it as more of 90s equivalent of Bullet (Live). In that they are both more of a “rock” song [and they have had other great Live rockers such as Last Night On Earth, Elevation’s Gone and The Fly, Vertigo’s Love And Peace, even the Early 80s with Electric Co. and Tick Tock]. Whereas I see a similarity in the “emotional” dimension in Bad > Please > now the new Kite.

U2Soar said:
Hi Jeannieco!

Hi U2girl, End Of World is definitely an outstanding Live song yet I see it as more of 90s equivalent of Bullet (Live). In that they are both more of a “rock” song [and they have had other great Live rockers such as Last Night On Earth, Elevation’s Gone and The Fly, Vertigo’s Love And Peace, even the Early 80s with Electric Co. and Tick Tock]. Whereas I see a similarity in the “emotional” dimension in Bad > Please > now the new Kite.

I agree with U2Soar (hey John!).

I have always had a soft spot for Kite - the first time I heard it the strong melody instantly caught me (which is rare for me...usually I need to listen to songs a few times to dig them...).

It really is an incredible song and it makes me happy to hear what they have done to it on leg 5.

I actually thought it was going to be a huge hit when I first heard it - but maybe the fact it wasn't a hit makes it that much more special to U2 fans.

Can't wait to hear it live in Hawaii!!

Cheers,
Brady

How about for the Window In The Skies CD Single

Version 1

1. Window In The Skies (Single Version)
2. Kite (Live) (best performance from this 5th Leg of the Vertigo Tour)
3. Keep On Rockin’ In The Free World (U–Jam version from today or from if they do it again in Hawaii)

Version 2

2. Mercy
3. The other song that they recorded with Rick Rubin – beach clip 402 or 404?

U2Soar said:
Hi Jeannieco!

How about Bad in the 80's - One in the 90's - Kite in the 00's for emotional dimension

Bullet in the 80's - UTEOTW in the 90's - (LAPOE?) in the 00's for rocking song

U2Soar said:

Version 1

3. Keep On Rockin’ In The Free World (U–Jam version from today or from if they do it again in Hawaii)

Version 2

2. Mercy

:drool: :drool: :drool:

'd buy it

Hi Brady, I enjoyed Kite when it first came out but for me it wasn’t in the stellar category. And it when it became associated with Bob Hewson’s death it became for awhile emotionally difficult to listen to. However, over the years it has been a consistent favourite among Interferencers. So, I started thinking about it more and recently Michael Griffiths wrote about it. One of things that he pointed out was his dissatisfaction with the last lines of “hip hop drove the big cars….” They were annoying lyrics. I made an edit of the song and removed those lines. Then bang they’re doing it Live again and gorgeously extended! You may even shed a tear too when they perform it Hawaii.

Cool to hear that you’ll being seeing the first and the last Vertigo Tour shows! And I hear that while you are there that you’re gonna do your own personal Iron Man Triathlon : - )

At the time, I thought that Kite would have made a good early Autumn Single release (and In A Little While for a Summer Single release). In hindsight, 9/11 did not make it an appropriate time. Though late in 2001 the video of Kite from the Boston DVD got incredible rotation on MuchMusic promoting the DVD. (I don’t know if it got the same attention on VH1?)

I hope to hear you, Kevin, Mick, and John perform this new Kite in the near future!

U2Soar said:

Sorry, but "Please" is no show-stopper. Also, it was officially a single, so it can't be counted (as this thread was about non-single songs).

"Please" is a good song, don't get me wrong. But it's slow place brings down a concert. "Bad" and "Kite" may also be slow songs, but they grow and build. Plus, there's a certain power to them. "Please" lacks that.

Also, "Kite" has now done something "Please" never did - it's been performed on more than one tour.

So while it may be too early to declare "Kite" the next "Bad" or "Until the End of the World".

I haven't seen the YouTube version of "Kite" yet. But I'll try to watch it later to see if it merits this :drool: type of praise. :)

U2Soar said:

Version 1

Version 2

2. Mercy

Heck, throw in a remix or two of WITS or some "Bomb" era songs and these CD singles would really rock! I like these single CD track-listing. I like it a lot actually. But as they are CD's, throw on a remix or two as well.

Of course, since this is SUCH a good idea, it means U2 would never do it. ;)

But Kite is a currently performed song...Please isn't.

Bad has stretched from The Unforgettable Fire to today, UTEOTW has gone on since ZooTV. If they're still playing Kite on their next tour we can really compare them...let's hope they are.

OMG!!!!

I just went to see the song on you tube...

awesome!!!

Especially the ending...what Bono does...I don't wamma say and ruin it for those who haven't seen it yet!

But go see it if you haven't already!

doctorwho said:

Sorry, but "Please" is no show-stopper. Also, it was officially a single, so it can't be counted (as this thread was about non-single songs).

"Please" is a good song, don't get me wrong. But it's slow place brings down a concert. "Bad" and "Kite" may also be slow songs, but they grow and build. Plus, there's a certain power to them. "Please" lacks that.

im not quite sure what boots youve been listeing to but the popmart please is simply amazing and an absolute show stopper..just listen to the rotterdam bootlegs.....best song of the entire show :drool:

Back
Top Bottom