"KILL BONO"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gherman

New Yorker
When I went to a POPMART show back in 98 or so I saw a fan wearing a shirt that said "KILL BONO." I still don't know what to make of this shirt. Do any of you have some insider info. on what this shirt or saying is all about?

reminds me of this:
metoony13.jpg

which I thought was funny

:huh: you're not talking about the book right? The book is really good :up:

Great inside stuff on Bono's teenage years. If I get it back from the last person I loaned it to I'll let you borrow it :D

If you haven't read it already:wink:

Thanks Kat, I have the book and it was good to a point, then the guy started getting on my nerves. I did like reading about the authori's friendship with Bono and the gang and their antics, the whole band competition thing and music scene back then.

I don't like the kill bono t-shirts and thought of kill bono, that is disturbing to me.

Lemonfix said:
I believe that at one point Bono wore a KILL BONO shirt on stage at a Popmart show.

He did, it was the May 24th 1997 Columbus Ohio show. I was at this show. A fan threw it on stage and Bono thought it was funny and put it on. I have a picture of him wearing it somewhere in my home, but its hard to tell what it says exactly in the picture from what I remember of it.

118705-24-97_Columbus_Kill_Bono_T_shirt-med.jpg

I had this picture on my hard drive. You cant really tell but he is wearing the "Kill Bono" shirt in this picture. I have a better one somewhere though.

Blue Room said:

He did, it was the May 24th 1997 Columbus Ohio show. I was at this show. A fan threw it on stage and Bono thought it was funny and put it on. I have a picture of him wearing it somewhere in my home, but its hard to tell what it says exactly in the picture from what I remember of it.

Ok, now I know why I remembered the whole Kill Bono shirt thing....I was at that bloody show! Apparently I am getting general U2 history confused with my own experiences, and vice versa :wink:

~BrightestStar~ said:

Interestingly, it's only called that in the States (if I recall correctly)
Elsewhere, it's called simply "I was Bono's Doppleganger" or something to that effect.

A little less creepy. :wink:
Wasn't "Killing Bono" the original title, and the UK publisher decided to change the name 'to be safe'?

WalkOn21 said:
Wasn't "Killing Bono" the original title, and the UK publisher decided to change the name 'to be safe'?

No. Doppelganger is the original and Killing Bono was the title for the US version.

pepokiss said:
what... the whole forum went to that show? :eyebrow:

BTW: that MAKEBONOHISTORY shirt is great...

:eyebrow: I think two people in this thread went to the Columbus show. :shrug: Obviously I did, I shot the picture I posted.

It's like changing the title of the first Harry Potter book from "Philosopher's Stone" to "Sorcerer's Stone," because they didn't figure a lot of 12-year olds would know what a philosopher was. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom