Kerry gets permission from Principle Management

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hanover

The Fly
US Presidental Candidate John Kerry made contact with U2's Dublin Office in relation to using the song 'Beautiful Day' during his campaign. As far as information goes...permission has been granted. Although a post has already been made concerning this topic. John Kerry had been using U2's song within direct breach of copyright. U2 it seems must have a soft spot for Kerry...ahhh...

Hanover, can you (or anyone) send me that newsblurb via email, etc? I'd like to post it if possible.

Well, that would have been slightly embarrassing for Kerry if they didn?t grant him permission.

I like Kerry, and I will be voting for him, but I hate it when songs (and not specifically U2 songs) are used for any sort of endorsement, political or otherwise. After I associate it with something, I can't quite get that association out of my head. Ruins the song for me.

ylimeU2 said:
I hate it when songs (and not specifically U2 songs) are used for any sort of endorsement, political or otherwise. After I associate it with something, I can't quite get that association out of my head. Ruins the song for me.

Me too :|

So image how those of us who despise Kerry must feel :censored:

Kerry has been using "Beautiful Day" at his appearances since the beginning of the year, at least. I'm sure U2 would have heard about it and told him to stop if they'd strongly disappoved.

Now, this shouldn't be considered an endorsement...just that the band hasn't found anything in Kerry's platform severely objectionable. But Bono has said that Kerry, along with Frist, was among the first Senators to work on legislation to help fight the spread of AIDS in Africa.

ylimeU2 said:
Well, that would have been slightly embarrassing for Kerry if they didn?t grant him permission.

I like Kerry, and I will be voting for him, but I hate it when songs (and not specifically U2 songs) are used for any sort of endorsement, political or otherwise. After I associate it with something, I can't quite get that association out of my head. Ruins the song for me.

I didn't see the broadcast but I can see how the song would ruin it. Commercials and endorsements ruin good songs.

i'm all for it. as long as U2 doesn't associate themselves with Bush, then i don't mind.

Bono was a big fan of former President Clinton. It shouldn't be too much of a surprise if Bono turned out to be left-leaning.

I'd like to think, though, that if that was the case, that conservatives would already have a different reason for listening to U2 than their politics. Those old threads we used to have asking how could conservatives be U2 fans are not cool.

Melon

I'm still a little confused at some of the reactions to the use of "Beautiful Day". The use of the song isn't a big deal legally, or wasn't until it was nationaly broadcast live at the convention.

You're living under a rock if you don't think Bono has strong left leaning beliefs, and always has. But if we're talking about in respect to his current political endeavours, and the current political climate, perhaps the smartest thing to do is to refer to quotes from Bono himself. He tells Bush he's "from the other side of the road" to him. Kinda spells it out....

(thanks many to EPandAmerica who hunted most of these down in another thread)

(On Iraq)

Rock star Bono, who has made a name for himself as a campaigner for Third World debt and poverty relief, said on Friday that British Prime Minister Tony Blair's backing for possible war on Iraq was "sincerely wrong."

"Tony Blair is not going to war for oil. Tony Blair is sincere in his convictions about Iraq," said Bono, speaking after a meeting with French President Jacques Chirac.

"In my opinion he (Blair) is sincerely wrong," said the Irish lead singer of rock band U2, wearing his trade-mark wrap-around glasses and a black suit.

(On mixing with politicians he doesn't necessarily agree with)

I'm representing countries who are still paying more servicing old debts than they are on health and education. They're my boss. I'm working for them. I just have to gag myself now, and I meet people who I wouldn't have-- Irishly, I wouldn't want to drink with, but I'll have supper with the devil if that's what it takes to get the job done and I probably have.

It is amazing what President Bush has done on AIDS. Those of us who worked on that were very proud when he put that in his State of Union speech this year. To put AIDS third on the bill in a State of the Union speech by a conservative president was unthinkable a few years ago."

Bono believes that he comes "from the other side of the road" to George Bush.

"I've lost my colour in order to do the work that I do.

The people who often pay for one's convictions are other people. But President Bush and the people around him and that I deal with regularly, and Colin Powell, have been true to their word dealing with me on two issues. One was something called the Millennium Challenge Account, into which he put $US10 billion for three years, which was a new way of seeing aid as a sort of fast track to countries that were tackling corruption and had good governments.

"We worked incredibly closely with them on the Millennium Challenge Account. As a result, I appeared in a photograph with President Bush. Now this, of course, set my band on edge, and meeting Jesse Helms and George Bush for someone like the Edge, he just can't get his head around it.

"But I have always said that there are too many lives at stake here to play politics. We have to elevate the debate. We have to, and I have to stay not bi-partisan but actually non-partisan.

It's a strategy that comes with risks. Is it possible to appear in public with the likes of Helms and Bush and preserve that precious commodity -- street-cred? If it's not, says Bono, it's a price worth paying. "Edge was pleading with me not to hang out with the conservatives. He said, 'You're not going to have a picture with George Bush?' I said I'd have lunch with Satan if there was so much at stake. I have friends who won't speak to me because of Helms. But it's very important not to play politics with this. Millions of lives are being lost for the stupidest of reasons: money. And not even very much money. So let's not play, Who are the good guys and who are the bad guys? Let's rely on the moral force of our arguments."

ylimeU2 said:
....... but I hate it when songs (and not specifically U2 songs) are used for any sort of endorsement, political or otherwise. After I associate it with something, I can't quite get that association out of my head. Ruins the song for me.

Luckily for me if I've strongly loved a song(s) for a long time , I can usuallly separate the song {enough strong previous memories} from the ad or endorsement that it's been now tagged to.

ex the instrumental opening for Tommy, used on Clariton pilols.

I I can still usually sing hum or think the music in my head without the commercial interupting.

"Edge was pleading with me not to hang out with the conservatives. He said, 'You're not going to have a picture with George Bush?'

Whoo hoo ! I'm lovin' their supporting Democrats and Kerry ! GO KERRY ! :D

Diane L said:
Kerry has been using "Beautiful Day" at his appearances since the beginning of the year, at least. I'm sure U2 would have heard about it and told him to stop if they'd strongly disappoved.

Now, this shouldn't be considered an endorsement...just that the band hasn't found anything in Kerry's platform severely objectionable. But Bono has said that Kerry, along with Frist, was among the first Senators to work on legislation to help fight the spread of AIDS in Africa.

Yes, and he believes in giving credit where it's due, whether it's President Bush, Senator Kerry or Senator Frist. Given that neither candidate is exactly in the Klan I wouldn't expect there to be major difficulties if Bush decided to use a U2 song. The last I heard he hasn't asked. It's obviously his personal preference to use country music. That's OK with me. I'm not a big country music fan but heck, some people are. Being from Alabama I'm around country music every day.

Earnie Shavers i remember that much music quote and thought that it was powerful the first time i heard it coming from bono's mouth.

btw good digging for the purpose of this post.

Back
Top Bottom