Just theoretically thinking...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would like to think that they would've got along, but who knows? Perhaps he'd be the kind of guy who'd show up at the end of U2 show to join them in a song.

Or maybe he'd slag the jaffa cakes out of them..

Hard to say...

Interesting topic though! :hmm:

Rent the USA vs. John Lennon DVD when you have the chance. There we see the only major difference.

Lennon scared the %^*& out of Nixon, and Bono is one of the few humans on earth who still likes Bush.

Other than that, they are so similar, but that doesn't necessarily mean JL would have liked the B-man.

Anu said:

and Bono is one of the few humans on earth who still likes Bush.

I don't know, I would have to hear that personally, from Bono. With no cameras or microphones around.
Appreciation and liking somone are 2 different things.

Bono will have one hell of an autobiography to write some day.

On the issue of Lennon and Bono, I can't imagin. Lennon could have gone all in with Bono on board or backed off and pursued his on agenda. Who know??

I am not sure i would say Bono likes or maybe even appreciates Bush. Fact is......he has to go through him to get his message over. its about the ends justifying the means

gman said:
I am not sure i would say Bono likes or maybe even appreciates Bush. Fact is......he has to go through him to get his message over. its about the ends justifying the means

at one point Bono said he would work with the devil himself if it meant helping people in the third world find debt and AIDS relief and clean drinking water. i think that was in fairly direct response to his working with w.

Does he like Bush?

See Bono In Conversation pages 235-236.

"We get on very well," Bono says in response to a direct question on this topic. At the end of the question, he calls Bush "humble."

Bono does disagree with how the war has been waged and is quite clear about that but is nowhere outspoken like Lennon was against the Vietnam War. Ali and Bono would never have a bed-in for peace or march with the likes of Abbie Hoffman.

And with Bono's clout today, being outspoken against this war would carry a lot of weight.

Anu said:
Does he like Bush?

And with Bono's clout today, being outspoken against this war would carry a lot of weight.

There could be a whole forum devoted to discussion of this topic. I think Bono weilds his influence very admirably and effectively. I think if he'd tried to influence the issues he has in addition to the war, he'd have spread himself far too thin, come across as a busybody and egomaniacal, and probably have achieved very little.

Many people think of him as a busybody egomaniac as it is.

On the pro side, I think Lennon would have respected Bono's humanitarian work, although probably rolled his eyes at some of it, and they would have shared the experience of being part of these mammoth bands in that not many reach that stature.

I think they would have shared some of the same humanitarian interests and might have had a few good conversations.

On the con side, I don't think Lennon would have worked with the powers that be. I don't think he trusted them and I don't think he liked them much--having been a target of that power.
I think he was more cynical than Bono. I think he would have been more needling.

I think he was shyer than Bono and I don't think he would have comfortably embraced being as public a humanitarian as Bono is.

I think he was quicker-witted than Bono. Bono rehearses and recrafts his answers, is repetitive. I think Lennon would have gotten bored with that fairly quickly.

I think he would have answered God II with an acid response.

So I think they would have been cordial, but not buddies.

Anu said:

Bono does disagree with how the war has been waged and is quite clear about that but is nowhere outspoken like Lennon was against the Vietnam War. Ali and Bono would never have a bed-in for peace or march with the likes of Abbie Hoffman.

I think Bono is a unique position, what other artist has actually tried working with the powers that be to get his humanitarian work done?

In that sense it probably makes him one of the most effective, but in another it limits what he can actually say...

powerhour24 said:
Liam Gallagher spouts off against pretty much anyone the world likes that isn't him. They make good music sometimes but he needs to learn he's not that important and to shut up.

Liam Gallagher has launched some stinging attacks at U2 over the years, here's a quote he made during U2's Vertigo tour taken from the Sydney Evening Telegraph.

Liam Gallagher insulted the Irish band after learning that they watch footage of themselves immediately after gigs. Gallagher said, "W*****s, Haven't they got f*ck-all better to do? I'd rather be out getting pissed [drunk]. I certainly wouldn't go back after a gig and analyze it."

Furthermore, the Oasis frontman mocked U2 and what he imagines they say to each other after the gigs. "No wonder they're the biggest band in the world: 'Oh Edge, the fourth guitar solo wasn't right tonight.' 'Oh sorry, Bono,' "If that’s what people think rock’n’roll is…” Gallagher said".

As for John Lennon, id say he may have disliked U2 in their early days when they were a fairly new band but id find it hard to believe him not liking U2 now after all these years maintaining their status as the biggest band in the world. Id imagine he'd get on very well with Bono to. Bono pretty much gets on with everyone.

Last edited:
"W*****s, Haven't they got f*ck-all better to do? I'd rather be out getting pissed [drunk]. I certainly wouldn't go back after a gig and analyze it."

Furthermore, the Oasis frontman mocked U2 and what he imagines they say to each other after the gigs. "No wonder they're the biggest band in the world: 'Oh Edge, the fourth guitar solo wasn't right tonight.' 'Oh sorry, Bono,' "If that’s what people think rock’n’roll is…” Gallagher said".

Remember reading this. Pissweak, Liam.

... although for one brief moment in 1995, he and Bono were rather close.

The Sad Punk said:

Remember reading this. Pissweak, Liam.

... although for one brief moment in 1995, he and Bono were rather close.

Yeah, yeah, trading guitar picks with their tongues. Just goes to show you don't dare Bono cause he takes you up on it.

Dana

bonoliamkiss.jpg

:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom