Just Saw Guided by Voices this Past Weekend...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Someone I knew invited me to go see them. I went b/c they are influential alt rock mainstays and I was curious. Also I remember the Edge listing an album of theirs as being one of the albums he was listening to or something that was in his top ten for a specific year. Mind you I have never really heard or had an idea of GBV's music before the show so I went in without an idea of who they are, what they looked like, or how they sounded.

Anyways. It was a dang fine show and my ears were screwed up for like a day and half but overall it made me interested in GBV.

The lead singer and head of the band, Robert Pollard, was very charismatic LOL. He is about the age or slightly older then U2's members. Anyways. Age hasn't been to kind to him... so to speak. He looked like somebody's drunk uncle coming back from a binge session. He was drinking tons of alcohol on the stage which is supposed to be a normal routine from what I understand and you could tell from his paunch that he let age and beer take over. While he sang he did some Daltrey twirls of the microphone and various hilarious hand motions that reminded me of Mick Jagger and Rob Halford. He was defintely charismatic.

Then this show and Mr. Pollard got me to thinking about Bono and crew. Age does make a difference sometimes and Bono and company have been able to in some ways avoid looking like dinosaurs. No disrespect to Pollard b/c he was probably spoofing/ mocking lead singers and just having fun with being a rock n' roller. however he was toeing the line between looking pathetic, like the emabarassing uncle at a wedding and a performance artist genius.

I sort of wonder how long Bono and co. can maintain a "young" image for people before they become caricatures of themselves. Or can U2 perform live and do all those enrgetic things till they're 50 and should they? When I think about it more, society doesn't want a rock star to be 40 years old and up. They don't want to see a 40+ year old jumping in the air and dancing around like a younger 20 year old rock star b/c it looks odd- think Robin William's Jack .

Should U2 stop touring at a specific age and just become a studio band b/c a 50 year old Bono running around a stage looks uncool?

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

I've got a couple GBV albums. Not bad indie pop stuff. They were likely somewhat of an influence on one of my favorite bands, Sebadoh.

As for your question about should U2 stop touring before Bono is 50 and look old on stage. I hope so. I have been hoping and praying for years that they do not turn into the Stones and become the butt of jokes because they drag their tired old asses out on stage to play a song they wrote when they were 18. I remember Mick Jagger saying when he was young that he didn't want to be 40 and still playing Satisfaction. Guess what, Mick, yr 60 and ......well, you know the rest.

U2 has aged gracefully, though. ATYCLB is a great record and more than I would expect from most bands their age. And I do hope they put out a couple more records as long as they don't suck. I guess what I'm saying is that I've grown up with this band, but I don't want to grow old with them. I want to remember them fondly, not as the band that started writing music for car and beer commercials. God, please don't let that happen to U2. Anyway, sorry for the ramble.

You know one thing that helps U2 from not being attacked as much about being rock dinosaurs as much as Aerosmith, the stones, the Who, etc. is the fact that they still sort of look the same and don't look as aged as... Credit their personal trainer... hehe

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Originally posted by Flying FuManchu:
You know one thing that helps U2 from not being attacked as much about being rock dinosaurs as much as Aerosmith, the stones, the Who, etc. is the fact that they still sort of look the same and don't look as aged as... Credit their personal trainer... hehe

or their lack of hard drugs. there is a reason VH1 has a U2 Legends special and not a U2 Behind the Music. Well, there are several reasons but one is that the band isn't a bunch of recovering junkies. oh well.

Originally posted by sharky:
or their lack of hard drugs. there is a reason VH1 has a U2 Legends special and not a U2 Behind the Music. Well, there are several reasons but one is that the band isn't a bunch of recovering junkies. oh well.

LOL... true, true

------------------

Not only do they look good, but they still make great music. Personally, I can't say that about the Stones or Aerosmith or any other so called 'dinosaur', but Mick can still move pretty good for a guy his age.

Back
Top Bottom