Just ordered the U2 ipod!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
elfyx said:

Thanks for the insult. I was hoping to add snobbish to my list. And, unless you are willing to cite the actual studies themselves, I would tend to disagree. In fact, like most "studies" today there are usually an equal number of conflicting ones out there. So, besides your statement being a non-sequitor, there actually is growing evidence of adverse affects to lossy digital audio.

Can you cite one reputable study (or even a disreputable one) that talks about the "harmful" effects of lossy digital audio? Sounds like total bunk to me. At any rate, Apple has its own lossless format, so you don't have to worry about the dangers of lossy audio, fluoridation, or brain-eating nanobots in your cereal.

Here is a link to a study demonstrating how good AAC is compared to Ogg:

vvv.ff123.net/128tests.html
(replace "vvv" with "www")

By the way, you called iPods "overpriced" and then gave us a link to a page that showed that comparable iRivers were $30 more expensive! So, iRivers would be "obscenely" overpriced?

Finally, can your describe your "serious audiophile" iRiver setup? I use the following setup with my iPod and it sounds spectacular. Friends who claimed the iPod doesn't sound great are wowed by just how good the iPod can sound given the proper cables, amp, and headphones to take advantage of the excellent output from the iPod.

40gig 4G iPod -> Sik imp -> Zu Pivot -> Gilmore Lite -> Zu Mobius -> Senn HD650

You're not doing the iRiver a service with your misinformation. The iRiver is a fine product that can stand on its own merits. You don't need to trash the competition with nonsensical arguments.

Last edited:
Edited: The link I wanted to post magically turns from a link to a cartoon into a moan about money when its posted in another forum :madspit:
Ignore

Last edited:
if i buy this u2 ipod i wonder how long it will take me to download the complete u2 on a dial up connection :laugh: :slant:

Okay - I went to the apple store today - things i've learned
1. As of now the ipod will be only available online until they figure out if it is something that will sell - since at least 5 (no joke here) people inquired about it while I was in the store I would say this is a big yes
2. the ipod does not come with the album pre-loaded since you could not be able to easily take the songs and download them to a cd - hence the 50 dollar off.
3. The griffin itrip black ed. is cool
4. I got an ipod skin that is clear to show of the cool black ipod
5. Everyone thinks the black ipod is supercool
6. The ipod 60gb photo id supercool as well and is in stores now......
but it is not as cool as the black ipod:)

The apple guy I spoke with was a huge U2 fan and was very informative (west county - stl)

ok, i've got a couple of technical questions since i've never used an ipod...

will i only need a fast connection for downloading the complete u2? if so, i can borrow a friend's computer for that. i don't want to waste my money if a fast connection is required for other things about the ipod too.

i've never been into an apple store before. do they have a place where one can go in and download songs there?

for me to upgrade from windows ME to windows XP will be $100 from dell. it's something i know i need to do anyway for the future since i'm still using sucky windows ME.

i guess the main reason i want to know is cuz i can't afford to get high speed or dsl connection right now. if i don't need it for anything other than downloading large files like the complete u2, then i should be ok (once i borrow my friend's computer to download the complete u2) with just dial up and windows xp correct?

:confused: :scratch:

Last edited:
ya know i've heard some ppl say they didn't like the look of the new ipod, but i'd much rather have a sleek cool looking black one than one of the ugly pastel colors or white of the regular ipods.

ABEL said:
ok, i've got a couple of technical questions since i've never used an ipod...

will i only need a fast connection for downloading the complete u2? if so, i can borrow a friend's computer for that. i don't want to waste my money if a fast connection is required for other things about the ipod too.

i've never been into an apple store before. do they have a place where one can go in and download songs there?

for me to upgrade from windows ME to windows XP will be $100 from dell. it's something i know i need to do anyway for the future since i'm still using sucky windows ME.

i guess the main reason i want to know is cuz i can't afford to get high speed or dsl connection right now. if i don't need it for anything other than downloading large files like the complete u2, then i should be ok (once i borrow my friend's computer to download the complete u2) with just dial up and windows xp correct?

I'm in the same boat as ABEL...I have dial up and with all the new stuff coming out and a tour to fund :wink: I need to save as much $ as possible. So if anyone can answer ABEK's (and now my) questions that'd be very very cool.

P.S. stars, you asked me the other day bout if bought the ipod yet...I'm holding out until I see the tracklistings. Right now I'm 50/50 down the middle about the whole thing.

Yeah, I was finally able to track down some people who own one. I played with it for a bit and it is a cool piece of technology. I didn't even know that the wheel is actually a touch pad - I thought it actually rotated, which would not have been durable.

It just has such a nice solid feel to it. I'm definitely getting one now. The week of the release is already going to be an expensive week for me with all the things I must buy - U2 CDs, iPod, iPod accessories, U2 Digital Box Set, Evanescence live DVD, Seinfeld DVDs. I'm lucky if I get all this for under $1000. :)

its annoyed me that there has been confusion with whether the things pre-loaded! I really was hoping it would be, but oh well!

I have never bought an ipod or any other mp3 player device yet, but this one is making me seriously consider it at last. I see several people discussing the technical pros and cons of iPod vs. Iriver(?) But this really caught my eye:

" What everybody seems to be taking for granted with this whole "digital music revolution" is the growing evidence of adverse affects on our health and aural systems listening to lossy digital audio can do to the human aural system."

Do you mean adverse effects on our health as in damage? To what - eardrums, brain cells? I don't want to start up the fight again, but I would just like a link to any information about this. I have heard the issues about cell phones but I thought that had to do with the transmission waves. Is there really something dangerous about codecs per se, such that using the same machine to listen to one type of coded music is more dangerous than using it to listen to another type of coded music???

ABEL said:

You don't necessarily have to download anything if you get an ipod. I guess a lot of people do put songs on it that they buy from itunes but you can just put music on it from your own PC if you want.

I don't think the stores have places to buy songs, not sure though. I haven't been to our store for awhile. :scratch:

I'm gonna have to buy one from apple australia....which i didnt want to do.
Apple USA dont allow for payments outside of America...so i have to pay an extra $100 dollars for the aussie one, which is $569 ($359 US convertes to about $469 Aussie)

bono_man2002 said:
I'm gonna have to buy one from apple australia....which i didnt want to do.
Apple USA dont allow for payments outside of America...so i have to pay an extra $100 dollars for the aussie one, which is $569 ($359 US convertes to about $469 Aussie)

I'd look around on eBay, or a Mac reseller (Smalldog, CDW, etc). You'll definitely be able to find someone in the US that's willing to ship internationally.

yeah, i'll do that, still i might end up paying upwards of $500, but yeah i'll see..there's one that ends in 20 minutes....i'll be watching.

I ordered mine this morning. I can't WAIT to get my hot little hands on the thing! I'm really glad I waited to get an MP3 player. I thought about going with a mini iPod, just for the lower cost, but 1,000 songs just isn't enough for this music freak. :wink:

And the fact that this one is U2-related just makes it an even sweeter package.

corianderstem said:
I ordered mine this morning. I can't WAIT to get my hot little hands on the thing! I'm really glad I waited to get an MP3 player. I thought about going with a mini iPod, just for the lower cost, but 1,000 songs just isn't enough for this music freak. :wink:

And the fact that this one is U2-related just makes it an even sweeter package.

Yeah, I almost bought myself a Mini bout three weeks before I heard about the U2 iPod. I've been coveting an iPod forever now and I would have hung myself if i had missed out on this.....!

perzadie said:
I Is there really something dangerous about codecs per se, such that using the same machine to listen to one type of coded music is more dangerous than using it to listen to another type of coded music???

No, unless the music you're listening to is polka encoded in Ogg-Vorbis on the iRiver. This combination causes Mad Cow Disease. Note that the letters in"Ogg-Vorbis" can be rearranged to spell "Grog Bovis," which is Latin for "cow intoxicant."

Back
Top Bottom