Just Listened To Hawkmoon 269 in the Rain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I was walking home in the rain today, and listened to Hawkmoon 269 on my headphones for the first time. It was like listening to a brand new classic U2 song. It struck me how beautifully orchestrated this song is, the keyboards and the tap-drumming, Edge's swirling, warbling guitar, and the lyrics.

Like a rhythm unbroken
Like drums in the night
Like sweet soul music
Like sunlight...

Like the hot needs the sun
Like honey on her tongue
Like the muzzle of a gun
Like oxygen

Like a needle needs a vein
Like someone to blame
Like a thought unchained
Like a runaway train
I need your love

On this last verse, Bono just SCREAMS, but stays in tune. His scratchy soul pierces through the melody like the very needle through the vein.

And of course the beautiful ending refrain:

In the heart of the heat of the love
In the heart of the heat of the love...

It's like the U2 classic that got away -- on not just the mainstream, but the fans too.

Last edited:
For *years*, I have been posting about Hawkmoon being U2's hidden gem. It is by far their most underrated song.

I remember listening to that song on long bus rides home from college, and just loving every second of it. It represents everything that I love about U2 - the unrestrained rock, brilliant poetry, deep emotion, and explosive sound that leaves every other band in the dust. Bono sings his lungs out on the tune and it was one of those songs they rarely played live because you know it would blow out his vocal chords if he tried that on a nightly basis.

Note: Always turn up your bass on Hawkmoon 269. The timpani, drumming, deep vocals, and heavy bass are truly amazing every time.

AJ

hawkmoon. wonderful lyrics. i love this song.

i read once that bono used the numbers 269 because of a sign he saw on the highway.

like oxygen...i need your love.

I remember when I first got Rattle and Hum I would listen to it in my room at night with the lights off and my headphones on. I would get chills when I heard Bono's voice at the end of Hawkmoon 269.

bonosgirl84 said:
hawkmoon. wonderful lyrics. i love this song.

i read once that bono used the numbers 269 because of a sign he saw on the highway.

like oxygen...i need your love.

One of my alltime favorite songs - I have to agree with Hawk269 here, however bgirl, the band attmepted to record this song som many times, the version they used was number 269.

and that's exactly why i don't believe everything i read.

269 mixes for completion, huh? i like the highway sign idea a lot better. it's much more romantic. but if it's mixes, then i guess it's mixes.

Bonogirl84, I read that in a NME interview. The Revelation magazine. It was an Indian reservation - he saw it on a road sign. I think. I have the magazine. I'll see if I can find the article. If so, I will post it.

I love this song so much. Just reading this thread about this song gave me chills.

One of their best songs ever. :yes:

:heart: rain :heart: (and not cos i live in the desert and don't get enough of it. it rains PLENTY in massachusetts)

:heart: hawkmoon :heart:

Back
Top Bottom