Just heard U2's Satellite Of Love cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canadiens1131

ONE love, blood, life
This has to be one of the most beautiful things I've heard recently. I knew the original (?) by Lou Reed and Edge and Bono just do it so much better, in my opinion.

Anyway, lovely song, I just learned it tonight on guitar, it has such a great dreamy quality to it. Can't wait to perform it :drool:

Does anyone know if it was Edge or Bono singing the falsetto parts of the chorus during the Zooropa leg? The vocals double up, one high and one low but I cannot distinguish them from the bootleg I have,.

Would've been a great closer to the 90s B-sides disc (if they didn't turn it into a crappy remix disc halfway through).

Canadiens1160 said:
Does anyone know if it was Edge or Bono singing the falsetto parts of the chorus during the Zooropa leg? The vocals double up, one high and one low but I cannot distinguish them from the bootleg I have,.

That was all Bono and a taped vocal by Lou Reed. That is the tour performance of it.

U2 has done some great covers in their time but this has to be my fave. 10 times better than the original and I'm a Reed fan. Unfortunately I only have it on cassette and no longer even have a cassette player. One of the reasons I'm debating buying the digital box set, for so many of my b-sides I no longer can listen to.

It is a good cover, isn't it? I also know the guitar tabs and it was one of the first songs I learned how to play. It was U2's version, too. Nice song.

Do Miss America, I'm not sure it's on the Complete Box Set (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) cause of legal issues over covers. But it might be on itunes for the single off AB it appeared on.

Aardvark747 said:
Live versions are even better of that one!

Totally,

Especially at the end, the way the words are drawn out..

sat-e-llite of...............

and into the rumble of bad

u2bonogirl said:
his falsetto was so sexy:drool:
I put that on repeat when I got the single and couldnt turn it off

Of course the best falsetto ever is on Can't Help Falling in Love :drool:

But why bother with good B-Sides when instead we could listen to Discothèque [Hexidecimal Mix], all day, every day :eyebrow: :wink:

typhoon said:
Would've been a great closer to the 90s B-sides disc (if they didn't turn it into a crappy remix disc halfway through).

Amen. I mean, what the hell was up with that? The first half of the disc was pretty solid, but then it turned to crap (except for the MW remix. That version is better than the original, which, oddly enough, I didn't discover until hearing the song pop up on my iPod and being like "wtf is this???" I never even bothered listening to that entire second half because I was getting tired of damn dance remix shit). What ever happened to Holy Joe? Always? A non-dance mix of Salome?

Satellite of Love - yeah, it's brilliant. My dad's a huge Velvet Underground/Lou Reed fan (he introduced me to them, in fact, along with several other great bands such as Television...I owe a lot to him) and not a big U2 fan (he likes them alright, and he did see them in concert with me) and he thought it was great. I love how it's all slow and then it kinda kicks in at the 3:00 mark. Total jam then. I also love the way Bono sings it, from the beautiful falsetto to his could-be-mistaken-for-Reed-himself voice (Monday Tuesday Wednesday Friday...Harry Mark and John). U2's never been much of a cover band, but this is definately an exception.

Canadiens1160 said:
But why bother with good B-Sides when instead we could listen to Discothèque [Hexidecimal Mix], all day, every day :eyebrow: :wink:

I prefer the Discotheque [DM Deep Extended Club Mix] myself...the fact that it wasn't included on the Best Of disc is an outrage! And what ever happened to the Howie B, Harry B mix?! :wink:

and the sad thing is, that as a 9 year old I listened to my Discotheque remix disc...over and over and over again. I just couldn't get enough of that song in all its many wonderful forms :wink: but can ANYONE tell me: what the HELL is up with the Howie B Harry B mix?! I mean, the only thing that pops in my head when I hear that song is a big "WTF?" that's not BONO singing, is it? and I mean...just...I've wondered about this for oh-so-long, somebody tell me please, I'm on my knees!

AtomicBono said:

what the HELL is up with the Howie B Harry B mix?! I mean, the only thing that pops in my head when I hear that song is a big "WTF?" that's not BONO singing, is it?

I'm sure it is..

Ive noticed that while remixing U2 tracks, to get them into the right key or tempo, the producers have to either slightly speed up or slow down the original lyric tracks.

The only problem with this is it sometimes makes Bono sound a bit weird.

try listening to Mysterious Ways - remixed by Massive Attack on the melon cd.

It's my least favourite of all the M Ways remixes, simply for the fact it's been slowed down so much they sound like tits.

trevgreg said:

Do Miss America, I'm not sure it's on the Complete Box Set (correct me if I'm wrong somebody) cause of legal issues over covers. But it might be on itunes for the single off AB it appeared on.

Damn, well I know some covers made it I just assumed this one would. Well I still have all those other B-sides pre Pop that are still on cassette and not on the greatest hits that I need.

I remember buying the CD single of "One" and listening to it for the first time in my car on the way home from the store. The B-sides were "Satellite of Love", "Lady with the Spinning Head", and "Night and Day". I couldn't believe that this was a CD single with B-sides. The songs were so great and so much better than what any other band was putting out as their top shelf material. I kept thinking "how great is this band" as I listened to it over and over.

There is a new dance remix of Satellite of Love (by Lou Reed, though) that is playing all over the dance clubs in Argentina. They did a pretty good job, I must say.

Back
Top Bottom