Just back from Oakland 2...INTENSE!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
This was my fifth show this tour and they're all fantastic, they all have their moments, but this one...whew!

Setlist: I'm terrible at remembering these, so someone else will have to provide. They played I Will Follow this time, which they didn't last night (right?). Otherwise standard, but...they had an audience member, Scott, play guitar for Borderlands (more on that later) and added impromptu Slow Dancing
smile.gif
(who's that by?) a snippet of Young Americans at the end of Bullet and Don't Worry somewhere in there. It just seemed every song right where it needed to be.

I Will Follow, and indeed the whole show, seemed to me, being a Christian, to be very in the Spirit. Bono was singing about God, to God, so there was even more exhilaration to the song, so uplifting!

Bono had a fit and smashed his guitar against the drum stand at the end of I Will Follow. This is something different!

TWO PEOPLE ON STAGE! Scott played guitar, very well, over with the Edge, followed Bono telling him to play verses or chorus from the tip, while Bono had to make up the second verse because he completely forgot it, so he sang something like, "This was written at a time, when I had this feeling, I don't have it as much any more, wonder..." Then, "It was Van Morrison, Van Morrison inspired me to write this.." Then back to the chorus and we all sang. Perfect. Scott hugged and talked to the Edge then walked along the ramp to Bono and gave him a big hug and said something to him. BUT BEFORE THAT on Until the End of the World, Bono brought a girl up with a leapord skin cowboy hat, slow danced, sang to her, then started a play dance with her instead of doing the usual with the Edge, leading her by the hand...he ran her around to the Edge, then all the way around and back to her spot so he could finish the song with the Edge. It was great!

No Doubt band came into the heart during Seargent Peppers. We had better positions than they did
wink.gif
. (I was fourth row back on Adam's side.)

Bono quips (not word for word but basic idea): "The U.S. Secretary of Finance said he can't forget about Africa, he gets 2000 emails from U2 fans every day."

"Glide Memorial Church ought to set up over in Dublin"

"New York is one place where they allow freaks...and I was thinking where is one other place in the world where this is so, and I thought...yes, Dublin"

"I have a confession to make before God and you all, I smashed my guitar earlier tonight..(thinks for a moment)...hehe All you need is love (said abashadly).

"The vibe here tonight..."

"We would like to spend every Monday night playing here...then we would all have to get divorces and you would all be broke
smile.gif
"

As leaving the first encore "You rock."

A few I might be missing, anyone else get any?

The band was top form, high energy (like really high), Bono's voice was great (must have cut back on the cigarettes
smile.gif
). Larry was much more animated tonight than last night. Adam cool as usual. The Edge, stunning. Crowd was even more into it than last night. Lot of excitement in the air.

Midway through one of the slower songs somebody in the crowd passed by me, stoppped to waltz and then kissed me! This was, of course part of my plan to get Bono jealous.
smile.gif

I may be dreaming but I think I made eye contact with Larry for about 3/4 of an entire song, which one I don't remember now.

I had plenty of room to dance around, I always love to do that at concerts
smile.gif

Met beardog, her sister and elevatemysoul and her husband, spent a nice time with them. Hope all you other interferencers there had a great time.

BTW, the GA line was a little in disarray this time because a group waited at another gate and wouldn't join our numbering system. The security at the show said they wouldn't honor our system (that 300 people were abiding by). But we ironed it out. Watch out in Sacramento!

Ok, If I forgot anything I'll add it later
smile.gif

Which guitar did Bono smash????

------------------
How do you keep a moron busy for an hour? Two words... Extreme Paddleball

"wow...look at those two birds... they look just like airplanes, the way they're flying..."

" because they are airplanes..."

Wow, thanks for that review. I love to hear what Bono says in the shows.
The one with the financial department won't forget because of thousands of mails every day from U2 fans, how cool. Bono must be proud.

Just got myself a call from a mindblowned friend of mine who was there. She said she now understood what I went through at Slane, the thing about being spirituel uplifted.
Amazing, thanks again!

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

"Hur er leget? Was it right? Hur ?r l?get?" ~ Bono tries to speak swedish in Stockholm. Hur ?r l?get? means How are you doing? by the way.

You know Debbie, these reports are getting beter and better! I always read them biting my poor nails, or what has been left of them, LOL
Thank you, I?m glad you have such wonderful time.
smile.gif

Originally posted by DebbieSG:
This was my fifth show this tour and they're all fantastic, they all have their moments, but this one...whew!

Setlist: I'm terrible at remembering these, so someone else will have to provide. They played I Will Follow this time, which they didn't last night (right?). Otherwise standard, but...they had an audience member, Scott, play guitar for Borderlands (more on that later)

That guy Scott is good.

Check out some of his work here:

http://www.u2germany.com/scott/

Ok, I know they played A Sort Of Homecoming last night but why did you call it Borderlands?? Is this some type of U2 fan code name for ASOH???

Sounds like it was another great show. From what I have heard so far it sounds like Providence 2 and Oakland 2 are probebly the best shows of the 3rd leg so far.

Originally posted by Blue Room:
Ok, I know they played A Sort Of Homecoming last night but why did you call it Borderlands?? Is this some type of U2 fan code name for ASOH???

Um, no, it's my code. As you can see, I am clueless when it comes to the U2 catalogue. Get too carried away just listening I guess...
smile.gif

Autumn454 and She Is Raging, I don't know what pissed him off (missed notes??) and I was trying to figure out what guitar it was myself...it wasn't the green one he was using for the rest of the songs.

Remembered a couple other things, Bono switched from POE right into Molly Malone (fitting after he read some names from the flight crash and so many of them were Irish) and at the end of Kite he talked about being with his father on caravan by the ocean at the age of eight and "trying to start up a dialogue" with him, then sang the verse "In the summer I can taste the salt in the sea..." again. It was really sad but nice.

Maybe Bono was channelling Pete Townshend.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

sheisraging asked my exact question...which guitar!!!???
eek.gif

You gave the exact answer I was hoping for......not the green one. Phew!!
smile.gif

Great review SJ, I'm glad it was all that...and more, for you.
A residency at Oakland? sounds quite good. How does Oakland view illegal immigrants? I feel a LOT of people would suddenly feel the urge to move there.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! They played Homecoming again??????!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you lucky, lucky people!!

*trying very very hard not to be jealous out of my mind*

How incredibly cool of this Scott guy to start playing it! What a man!
biggrin.gif

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 11-17-2001).]

Originally posted by scatteroflight:

How incredibly cool of this Scott guy to start playing it! What a man!
biggrin.gif

Incredibly ballsy, too.

Sounds great!!!!

------------------
And I have no religion
And I don't know what's what

OH MY GOD! IT WAS SO UNBELIEVABLE!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

A Sort of Homecoming/Unforgettable Fire were the 2 songs I have dreamed of hearing live.
I have finally semi-recovered from the last 5 days and 4 shows, wow! I have no voice left, literally. But thats ok!
I was in the stands last night, I brought my Mom, she loved it! We were in the 25th row and there were 2 girls next to us who wanted their friends who were in the 10th row to be with them, so they TRADED tix with us!!! So we were side stage aisle 10th row! It was great! I hadn't seen it from that angle, and I really enjoyed it!
Bono had so much energy again! I couldn't believe my ears when that Scott guy started SOH, amazing! Bono really did a job on the words, we gotta find a bootleg of that, it was too funny! But still awesome-
I wish they'd move to the Bay Area too-
2 great nights in Oakland! WOW!

Needing pics and video!!!
U2SJ@hotmail.com

OMG!!!!!!! second night in oakland was absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hehe....i been on this feedback forum for soo long..actually since july of 2000 but had to re-register cause something with my password and username got messed up. anyways, hello to everybody. haven't posted much.

well....if anybody here can possibly get the show on cd i'd love to hear from you. i will pay to have that concert among my most prized boots. see ya in sacto next tuesday!

------------------
"The world is often a wicked place, when you look around, but it's also full of beauty...and beauty is the consolation prize really...and we just have to find more of it and we have to look for it in unexpected places...its not just in those fashion spreads,
that's not real beauty...There is beauty to be found in everyday things."
?Bono
http://home.pacbell.net/sylviaji/

Right on review...I was there and it was incredible. The only other thing that I didn't see mention of: wasn't there a moment during Pride or SHFWILF that Bono asked for the house lights, but they didn't listen?

There was just something in the air. I had seats on the side in front of the stage instead of behind where I was on Thursday night and again back at San Jose, maybe that was it, being in front. But it just rocked, the crowd was soooo loud and it seemed everyone knew it was special night.

Sorry, I hate to go on in light of many who haven't yet seen them once, but I've seen a total of five elevation shows: DC, Seattle, SJ and twice in Oakland. Last night beat them all out, the impromptu songs that were played, the noise of the crowd - its spirit, and the heart and soul (overused, yes) of the band's playing -- all of it just melded.

My grandmother used to sing Molly Malone to me when I was little.

If anyone has a bootleg of this to share, I would be forever indebted. God, I hope someone recorded it!

I totally agree! The heart was incredible last night! My friend shook hands with No Doubt's bassist when they were in the heart. Gwen's security guard wouldn't allow us to talk to her while she was in there
frown.gif

I can't believe they played PLEASE! That song is so prophetic! AMAZING! This was definitely one of the top three concerts of my life! The concert was great, but I have to say that the Oakland security is completely incompetent. THere was a near riot getting into the heart! I was LITERALLY the last person they let into the heart. They said three more people as we were approaching and three people went it and we were the last ones and they said "Sorry, no more." We argued with them for a second and then someone shouted three more and me and my friends entered the heart! The heart could EASILY have fit 100 more people! All in all it was just amazing. How do they do it? BTW, does anyone know if the Sacramento venue will use the same heart wristbands
wink.gif

Well here's a full setlist for the show. Below is a setlist from the first show for comparison. Has anyone gotten pictures or found a bootleg? Let us know if anything surfaces!

OAKLAND 2

Elevation
Beautiful Day
UTEOTW
New Year's Day
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stuck in A Moment
Slow Dancing
Kite
Angel of Harlem
ASOH (with Scott)
All I Want Is You
WTSHNN
ISHFWILF
Pride

Encore1:
Bullet
What's Going On
New York

Encore2:
One
POE/Molly Malone
Walk On

OAKLAND 1

Elevation
Beautiful Day
UTEOTW
New Year's Day
Out of Control
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stuck in a Moment
Kite
Wild Honey
Please
Bad/Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses(snippet)
WTSHNN
ISHFWILF
Pride

Encore1:
Bullet
What's Going On
New York

Encore2:
One
POE(snippet)/Walk On

I thought that version of Bad with a bit of Molly Malone was so beautiful and touching when I saw it on the Notre Dame webcast. I thought nothing could be cooler than the version I saw in Vancouver when Bono sang a bit of 40 during Bad, but that comes close.

Oh hang on, I just noticed that here he did it with POE. That must have been cool too...

------------------
You've got to cry without weeping
Talk without speaking
Scream without raising your voice

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 11-18-2001).]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom