Joshua Tree vs. Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
Which album in your opinion is better and had more of an effect on their careers and why?

I'd say Achtung Baby, because coming right out the gate with The Fly was amazing, and it brought in a whole new aspect for the band, and many new fans. Judging by how they made the album at 1st with little lyrics ideas and some melodies is genius,

you can't compare those two like this... JT shot them to 'superstardom' and so on :), while AB was the key album to band's next decade.

Ah, the classic debate... it's hard to say which one is better, since each is just that solid in the eyes of a lot of people. But opinions are important... and in that case, I would choose Achtung Baby just based on the number of times I hear it.

that's funny... i don't like them :scratch:

and to the main topic: i have also listen to AB many more times than to JT

Speaking of which...

isn't it true there's a naked adam on the cover of Achtung? Ive never seen it and I have the album

Lancemc said:
how about this for a debate....

Adam's left testicle vs. Adam's right testicle

:up:

Thats more a debate for PLEBA ????? :laugh:

Some...uh...interesting remarks in this thread! Ha ha ha! Anyway, for me the choice is beyond clear: Achtung Baby. No way around it, boys and girls.

It depends. Joshua tree is pure poetry and is a artisitc masterpiece, but if I needed something to get me going, I would put in AB. I think Joshua Tree is better musically, but AB is just a more fun album to listen to.

The Joshua Tree, because "Streets", "Still havent found" and "With or without you" have to be in the top 5 from U2.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Which album in your opinion is better and had more of an effect on their careers and why?

Hard to pick.
I think JT is better, however I would say AB was a bigger impact on their career.

Achtung Baby is my favorite album ever so no doubt Achtung gets my vote.

Achtung .... just. But I can change my mind!

Joshua Tree is more of a chill out record (with the exception of Bullet and Exit). AB is very energised.

I like a higher number of songs on AB, but the songs I like on JT I like more than most of the songs on AB. So I dunno :crack:

Look at the two albums the only non- class song is TTYW so proof for Achtung being better, ok so not really but you get my drift.

weak songs on AB UMM SORRY coo coooo... AB Hands down , no contest, JT a masterpiece but AB has much more deep introspection, where JT about outside the body influences,, AB cuts to the core of our souls

I think in terms of the success it brought them, it would be Joshua Tree, but in terms of the growth of their artistry, it would be Achtung Baby.

As Achtung Baby is my favourite, it gets the edge.

As far as impact on their career, it is hard to say. JT brought them the global success, but AB allowed them to survive and thrive past the '80s.

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer as to which is the "greatest" in an artistic sense - it's the old " comparing apples and oranges" dilemma. I consider both albums to be flawless. I can only say my favorite is JT simply because of what that album means to be personally, with AB a very close second.

Last edited:
It's too close to say ... in terms of which had the biggest effect on U2's career, I think they're both equally important, but for different reasons.

Personally, JT is my favourite. All because of Red Hill Mining Town - how I love that song.

Back
Top Bottom