Joshua Tree vs. Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you think there really that bad I'd take those songs over MOTD, Exit, In Gods Country and One Tree Hill anyday

There is no comparasion between the two. JT was the push over the top for U2 and without JT we probably wouldn't have had AB - no record label in their right mind would have let a band depart from their "style" so radically as they did on AB. Of course it probably helped that U2 and JT bailed out Island and they would do anything for them (but that's beside the point). I think AB is their masterpiece. The proper way to really listen to AB is through headphones. The layers on this are so deep and just adds so much colour, complexities and texture - absolutely brilliant work.

*goes back for more caffine* :hyper:

I'm partial to JT because it was my first U2 album, and it's what made me a fan. WOWY is my favorite U2 song ever, and RTSS is in my top 5. But don't get me wrong I love Achtung Baby. My choice is a totally selfish one. I can't actually discern one album from the other as far as their merits.

ZeroDude said:
Do you think there really that bad I'd take those songs over MOTD, Exit, In Gods Country and One Tree Hill anyday

Exit, In Gods Country and One Tree Hill are all great songs IMO.

In my opinion Achtung Baby is #1 with Joshua Tree coming in as a close second. There is not a single weak song on Achtung Baby. The one song on Joshua Tree that I think is weak compared to the rest of the album is "Trip Through Your Wires" (still a good song, just weak compared to the rest of the album). Now, if they had decided to put Heartland on Joshua Tree in place of Trip Through Your Wires, then this debate would be MUCH tougher....

U2One said:
In my opinion Achtung Baby is #1 with Joshua Tree coming in as a close second. There is not a single weak song on Achtung Baby. The one song on Joshua Tree that I think is weak compared to the rest of the album is "Trip Through Your Wires" (still a good song, just weak compared to the rest of the album). Now, if they had decided to put Heartland on Joshua Tree in place of Trip Through Your Wires, then this debate would be MUCH tougher....

From Q magazine:

Producer Steve Lillywhite remembers the mixing of "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" (notably absent from the forthcoming Best of) as being especially testing.

"They hated that song," he says. "I spent a month on it and I still don't think it was as realised as it could've been. The Americans had heard it and said, That's your radio song there, because they were having trouble with some of the more industrial elements. It's almost like a covers band doing a U2 moment. Maybe we tried too hard."

WGRYWH is a very weak song indeed...

Joshua Tree - Hands down, no contest.

AB has too many weak songs IMO, it's more fractured.

JOSHUA TREE is by far the better record. AB is great too but it does have "weaker" songs on it. The best way to see this is by comparing all the songs from both albums head to head and you'll see that JT comes out on top every time.

They are two completely different sounds.....but, if I'm on an island and can only bring one CD to listen to, it would be AB

Achtung Joshua! said:
JOSHUA TREE is by far the better record. AB is great too but it does have "weaker" songs on it. The best way to see this is by comparing all the songs from both albums head to head and you'll see that JT comes out on top every time.

Really? Let's try!

Streets vs. Zoo Station - Streets
I Still Haven't Found vs. Even Better Than the Real Thing - Even Better Than the Real Thing
With or Without You vs. One - Damn. With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky vs. Until the End of the World - Until the End of the World
Running To Stand Still vs. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town vs. So Cruel - Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country vs. The Fly - The Fly
Trip Through Your Wires vs. Mysterious Ways - Mysterious Ways
One Tree Hill vs. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World - One Tree Hill
Exit vs. Ultra Violet - Very close, but Ultra Violet wins
Mothers of the Disappeared vs. Acrobat - Acrobat
Love is Blindness

AB wins 6 to 5(7 to 5 if you count Love is Blindness) for me!

It's all a matter of personal opinion of course but:
ISHFWILF is way better than EBTTRT
TTYW is also way better than MW (always hated this song)
So with that being said it's no wonder JT wins for me but it is indeed a close poll.

Mysterious Ways trumps Trip... by alot, I don't recall TTYW having a bellydancer onstage live...nope uhuh:wink:

Achtung Baby pushed forward, not only U2's music, but rock & roll as we know it.

Related to this, I remember the first time I listened to POP, full-blast on my home stereo, and I thought "This is the future of rock & roll".

I love the recent albums, but there's a tiny elf inside me that wants to hear a new, cybernetic, electrifying U2.

:)

Id say Achtung Baby because of it being brilliant experimentally as well as musically its harder to do then making a conventionally good rock record as Joshua Tree, or How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb.

I'd say that AB has stronger individual songs, but I think as a whole album I slightly prefer JT, but not by much.

Musically-wise though, I find JT far more striking and idiosyncratic than AB, which to me sounds more conventional of the two, strangely enough.

Last edited:
Zoo Station,
WGRYWH (Even the band hated it),
TTTYAATW,
UV ummm no these are great songs.

the lyrics in wild horses are simply amazing. Arms is a great drinking song. UV simply rules . but no album ever in the history of existence has a better final three songs. they take you on a emotional visual ride. simply brilliant.

AB has so many levels to it, the key is to forget that you heard them on the radio and they were played to death. !!now judge them!!. AB is pure poetic and sonic landscape brilliance

djerdap said:

Really? Let's try!

Streets vs. Zoo Station - Streets
I Still Haven't Found vs. Even Better Than the Real Thing - Even Better Than the Real Thing
With or Without You vs. One - Damn. With or Without You
Bullet the Blue Sky vs. Until the End of the World - Until the End of the World
Running To Stand Still vs. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Running To Stand Still
Red Hill Mining Town vs. So Cruel - Red Hill Mining Town
In God's Country vs. The Fly - The Fly
Trip Through Your Wires vs. Mysterious Ways - Mysterious Ways
One Tree Hill vs. Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World - One Tree Hill
Exit vs. Ultra Violet - Very close, but Ultra Violet wins
Mothers of the Disappeared vs. Acrobat - Acrobat
Love is Blindness

AB wins 6 to 5(7 to 5 if you count Love is Blindness) for me!

Streets vs Station - no contest, Streets
I still vs Even better - no contest again, I still...
WOWY vs One - hmmm. a tie
Bullet vs UTEOTW - UTEOTW
Running vs Horses - Running
Town vs Cruel - So cruel
IGC vs The fly - IGC
Trip vs Ways - MW
OTH vs Tryin' - One tree hill
Exit vs UV - Ultra violet
Mothers vs Acrobat - Acrobat
Heartland vs LIB - Heartland

1 tie, 5 wins for JT and 4 wins for AB (excluding LIB as it doesn't have competition on JT, unless you count Heartland in which case it's 1-6-4) .

(it's harder if you skip Zoo station - by far the weakest song on AB, when you get I still vs One and WOWY vs Until the end of the world!)

Last edited:
The Fly being worse than In God's Country, i guess every1 has their own opinion

Streets vs Station -Streets
I still vs Even better - I still
WOWY vs One - One
Bullet vs UTEOTW - UTEOTW
Running vs Horses - Running
Red Hill vs Cruel - Red Hill
IGC vs The fly - Fly
Trip vs Ways - Draw (hate both)
OTH vs Tryin' - One tree hill easily
Exit vs UV - Exit easily
Mothers vs Acrobat - Draw
Can't really do a comparison with LIB

6-3 to TJT.

Wow, that was closer than I thought... :ohmy: :ohmy:

Yahweh said:
Id say Achtung Baby because of it being brilliant experimentally as well as musically its harder to do then making a conventionally good rock record as Joshua Tree.

I think that is the most common misconception people have here concering the Joshua Tree. I think if you reversed your album titles in your quote you would find that to be more accurate and reflecting of U2. Hard to believe, but the Joshua Tree was the "brilliant experimental album" of its time, with the exception of maybe In God's Country. Purposefully being uncool (making a gospel song a top 40 hit in the 80s?!?!), combining lyrics that originated in tradional Irish poetry of yearning with American rock and blues, introducing for the very first time to the world the infinite guitar technology, and creating a unique soundscape that took the listener to an actual place. U2 could actually trademark the sound of a desert because of this album.

And let it be known, with the overwhelming success that Joshua Tree was, Achtung Baby! was born out as a reaction of that. One album necessitates the existance of the other. You have all heard the phrase, "Achtung Baby! is the sound of 4 men chopping down the Joshua Tree." Very true.

Long live the Joshua Tree!

oh, and yes, Achtung Baby! is a great album too.

LemonMacPhisto said:
The Fly being worse than In God's Country, i guess every1 has their own opinion

Yes, I prefer imagery and story-telling over aphorisms and one liners.

Yes, both Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are so opposite they cancel each other out...

...making Zooropa the winner

:eyebrow: :wink: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom