Joshua Tree turns 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joerags

War Child
I can't believe the Joshua Tree turns 20 this year. I believe the album was released in early March of 1987. I may be wrong. I was 14 years old. I remember I didn't have money to bye it until a few months later. When I bought it, I fell asleep. :reject: It was just different than what I was used to at the time. I was used to pop music on the radio, like Bon Jovi and Madonna. But this album was the reason why I really became a die-hard U2 fan.

Does anybody else remember their experience of listening to the Joshua Tree 20 years ago?

I have an idea it came out on St. Patrick's day, I'm not 100% sure but I think it did. I vividly remember buying it on release day, I was at the record store when they opened and bought it on cassette too, JC. :giggle:

I was 15 at the time, and had saved up my babysitting money to buy it

It's the only album that I queued untiil midnight to buy. :heart: :heart:

I always remember the rumours going around that Adam Clayton was going to turn up. :giggle:

love2bmama said:
I have an idea it came out on St. Patrick's day, I'm not 100% sure but I think it did. I vividly remember buying it on release day, I was at the record store when they opened and bought it on cassette too, JC. :giggle:

I was 15 at the time, and had saved up my babysitting money to buy it

:shh: I was 21. :shifty:

Mmmmm.... :drool:.... Joshua Tree. I turned 16 that March & bought my first cassette of JT in the summer with my first paycheck from my summer job. I played it so much that by Christmas my best friend bought me a replacement cassette becuase the first had been played to death!! :yes:

Thank goodness CD's can stand up to the abuse better than those cassettes could! :up: :D

BluRmGrl said:
Mmmmm.... :drool:.... Joshua Tree. I turned 16 that March & bought my first cassette of JT in the summer with my first paycheck from my summer job. I played it so much that by Christmas my best friend bought me a replacement cassette becuase the first had been played to death!! :yes:

Thank goodness CD's can stand up to the abuse better than those cassettes could! :up: :D

:up: I replaced JT 3 times the first year I had it, because I kept wearing out the cassettes! I think all my money went for walkman batteries and JT cassettes that year, lol!

My JT experince began 6 years ago when watching VH1, WOWY was on and my heart and ears melted.

MY favourite song ever.

I will also turn 20 in March...what do you know? Also my favorite record of all time, its almost a part of me because the same age.

I was 14 (almost 15) when it came out. I bought the cassette to listen to on my Sony Walkman* and my JVC boombox. :)

I got a proper hi-fi with a CD player for Christmas that year, and JT was one of the first albums I bought on CD.

It remains my favorite album of all time. Still brilliant after 20 years.

wm10.jpg
:D

Last edited:
It was released 10 March 1987. It was the first day of the new uni year and after lectures I went into town and bought the VINYL RECORD, that's right, kids!

I remember I also got a parking ticket. Bastards! :madspit:

I remember comparing it to Who's Next. Who's Next was my favorite record at the time, and I thought that U2 finally put out an album where you didn't have to skip any songs. Those kind of albums were very very rare to me back in those days.

joerags said:
I can't believe the Joshua Tree turns 20 this year. I believe the album was released in early March of 1987. I may be wrong. I was 14 years old. I remember I didn't have money to bye it until a few months later. When I bought it, I fell asleep. :reject: It was just different than what I was used to at the time. I was used to pop music on the radio, like Bon Jovi and Madonna. But this album was the reason why I really became a die-hard U2 fan.

Does anybody else remember their experience of listening to the Joshua Tree 20 years ago?

It was one of the finest and most defining experiences of my life. To U2 I will be forever endebted for the finest piece of work and the finest piece of musical work by anybody ever.

I think it was the first album I ever bought on the day it was released. I bought it after work and had to drive 30 miles out of my way to get it. I'm pretty sure I bought it on vinyl too, although I later replaced that with a cassette.

I was 14 when JT came in March of '87. I was kind of out of the U2 loop, so all I remember was when WOWY started getting played on MTV.
That's right, no too long ago MTV used to play videos.
Anyway, I thought Bono's hair looked really cool.
Happy 20th JT!

I was 15. I think all I'd heard off of it was WoWY but not sure. Anyway I bought the tape and wore it out, then my buddy got a car & we played his in the car, and wore that out.

Streets for the first time? Ah, bliss.

Whoa, it doesn't seem that old. It's stood the test of time and has become one of the all time classic albums.:up:

I was 5 years old when it came out. My parents bought it on vinyl...which I swiped when I became a U2 fan 8 years later. :wink:

martha said:
I remember comparing it to Who's Next. Who's Next was my favorite record at the time, and I thought that U2 finally put out an album where you didn't have to skip any songs. Those kind of albums were very very rare to me back in those days.

What about 'Seven and the Ragged Tiger'...it's an 80's classic...:shifty:

:reject:

Back
Top Bottom