Joshua Tree turns 20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wasn't even a fetus yet. :wink:

I bought this album in May of 2002. I was 11, and it was love at first play. Bullet pulled me in, and Red Hill Mining Town kept me there. What a brilliant album. :yes:

A friend of mine who was trying to convert me in 1992/'93 forced me almost at knife-point to buy both AB and JT... I bought cassettes cos I didn't have a CD player then, and for many years I only played side 1 of JT cos it had the singles on it that I recognised... :reject:

It wasn't until much later that I became a proper fan and realised that it's all brilliant. What I wouldn't give to hear U2 play Exit live... :drool:

love2bmama said:
doh! I was wrong about it coming out on St. Patrick's day...didn't one of their albums get released that day? Am I just totally imagining that?

It was released on Monday March 9, 1987 in the United Kingdom. It was released on Tuesday March 17, 1987 in the United States. So if you bought it in the United States, you were correct!

LemonMelon said:
I wasn't even a fetus yet. :wink:

I bought this album in May of 2002. I was 11, and it was love at first play. Bullet pulled me in, and Red Hill Mining Town kept me there. What a brilliant album. :yes:

so while streets, ishfwilf and with or without you did nothing for ya, the most boring track on the album pulled ya in? :ohmy:

U2Man said:

so while streets, ishfwilf and with or without you did nothing for ya, the most boring track on the album pulled ya in? :ohmy:

Nah, WOWY is more boring. :wink:

Besides, I bought Best of 1980-1990 before that, so I was already plenty familiar with those. :shrug:

FitzChivalry said:
I WANTED TO START THIS THREAD!!!! :yell:

(I was going to do it on Friday the 9th. :sad: )

:madwife:

hey, i started one yesterday, totally missed this one. I think a lot of us wanted to recognize this album. now we get to do it all together.

It's hard to express what that album has meant to me. Here a pic to take us back to those times:

time.jpg
[/B][/QUOTE]

Bytheway, if you want to celebrate the album I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend the DVD: Classic Albums-U2:The Joshua Tree . :up:

It has Bono, The Edge, Adam, Larry, Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno discuss the album at length, how the songs were created, written, what inspired them. It's not an album about the Joshua Tree videos mind you. It's excellent, not some piece of crap put together with a few repetitive clips of the band, where they aren't even playing their music. You can get it at Amazon.com used for pretty cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Album...4031330?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1173376265&sr=8-3

Last edited:
Yeah. The U2 Timeline Yahoo created is almost wrong on half of the the stuff.

---------------------------------------------------
2005: U2 surprise New Yorkers by a live performance video taping of "All Because of You" starting in Times Square and ending with a concert in Brooklyn.

2005: Wining 5 Grammys, U2 up their grand total to 19 golden statues. 2004: U2 sells out Madison Square Garden for 8 nights.

1987: The Joshua Tree earns U2 a two Grammy win for album of the year & Best Rock Performance by a group or duo.

1987: First number one hit "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" on Billboard Top 100 Chart.

They could have probably gotten any person on this site to do a way better job for free.

I'd had a poor quality leaked copy on tape for a week before it came out, wasn't thrilled with what I was hearing. Got it at lunchtime first day it came out (on CD) at Tower Records, about 20 people in line ahead of me all buying the same thing.

What a difference having a REAL copy made !

Utoo said:
In honor of the album, here's Edge's acceptance speech for JT at the 1987 Grammys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgRErUkTdFM

Adam's in the bathroom, Lanois sits behind them looking like a sasquatch in a tux, and Larry actually laughs. Classic.

I so remember this. My mother was like, "I can't believe you really like those slobs."

All these years later, she is saying the same thing. :|

I was 19. I had heard of U2, but I had never heard any of their songs until I heard WOWY on the radio a few weeks before JT came out. I still remember exactly where I was - in my dorm room, getting ready for my first class of the day. I think U2 became my favorite band before the song was even finished.

I was so broke that I couldn't afford to buy JT until a long time after it came out. Fortunately, one of the local radio stations played not only all the singles off the album, but a couple of non-singles like Red Hill Mining Town and Trip Through Your Wires, so I was able to tape them.

I remember how exciting it was to see the premiere of the WOWY video on MTV and see the band make the cover of Time magazine. It seemed like all of a sudden everyone I knew was a huge fan. I moved out of the dorms and into an apartment with three other women that summer and we all used to sit around and watch MTV and go bonkers whenever a U2 video came on.

I remember being at a party and hearing it over and over. I hated it because it was so overkilled at the time. I learned to love it though and I think it's a highlight of the 80s for me.

Utoo said:
In honor of the album, here's Edge's acceptance speech for JT at the 1987 Grammys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgRErUkTdFM

Adam's in the bathroom, Lanois sits behind them looking like a sasquatch in a tux, and Larry actually laughs. Classic.

:eek: Not often that someone not named Bono does the talking at the awards. :bow: at the legendary presenter.

Sasquatch in a tux :lol: Was Brian Eno there too?

Funny speech, as was the "orgasmatron" one a few years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kepGBza8iPE&mode=related&search=

Last edited:
STING2 said:

It was released on Monday March 9, 1987 in the United Kingdom. It was released on Tuesday March 17, 1987 in the United States. So if you bought it in the United States, you were correct!

No, it was released on March 9 in the U.S. as well. I bought it at Tower Records that day in 1987. And about 6 months ago I vistied the actual Joshua Tree -- well, the now fallen tree, but it is looking good even on yhe ground. No fan damage anyway. It's much harder to find now that it is lflat on the ground. The mystery is, who left that big metal and concrete tribute plaque out there?

OMG! That grammy 87 video took me back to a time when my only exposure to music pretty much was the grammys. lol. Sounds sad but it is kinda nostalgic for me. I do believe that the grammys used to better before the mid 90s. ;)

STING2 said:
Great find, this is one from the last time they were at the Grammy's a year ago is funny too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB88nQJrV-k&NR

As for this video... :eeklaugh: I really enjoyed the friendly banter! Edge says "song by song this is really our best album" which I don't know how he can say that with classics like Achtung and Joshua in the picture. But I guess an artist always promotes his/her latest work the most. So whatever. But the part I really found funny on this video is Bono realizing all of a sudden, out of the blue that the last 2 albums have long ass titles. He's like OMG I just realized how ridiculously long the titles are! No shit, Bono! Made me laugh out loud. Cos when you come to think of it, they probably don't put too much importance to whether a title is too long or whatever. It's the fans who analyze such things I guess. :lol:

Oh... and oh yeah, Happy 20th Birthday Joshua Tree! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom