Joshua Tree Deluxe: Paris DVD, etc, part two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anu

Editor
Staff member
There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you
I have not had enough chances to watch this but am right now and wanted to remark on how absolutely incredible this concert is.

It's great to hear all these songs that never make it to the setlist anymore.

It's great to see the band so young and 80s fashionable.

This is why I am a U2 fan.

Yes. Yes. It's easy just to think of the technological aspects of U2 shows since ZooTV, but this is really four guys on a stage banging it out.

Best era of U2 ever TUF/TJT/RAH :drool:

The DVD was fun to watch. Great version of WOWY, and always cool to hear Trip live seeing as it's been a goner since then.

It's nice that they added this DVD and the package is good...I just wish they'd put in something Phil Joanou directed on that tour.

I really like the whole boxset, you can see how lovingly its all been put together, the band really have tried to make this a high quality product. I reckon a lot of this was Bono's idea, he came up with the DVD and book idea for the HTDAAB release, and this treads very similiar ground.

The book's great, really interesting hearing the thoughts of Bono, Edge, Adam, Eno and Lanois, I think they all by consesus believe the album to be the bands first truly great collection of songs.

For me the DVD's the highlight, I know many people were dissappointed with the Red Hill Mining Town video, but I think unrealistic expectations may have played their part. Adam and Edge are basically AWOL and although Bono's performance is probably a bit too histrionic at times, its totally in keeping with his eighties persona, so I don't really have a problem with it. The Paris gig shows the band firing on all cylinders, Bono's voice is full of passion and dynamism, especially on Exit, and overall everyone seems to be really enjoying themselves.

Just imagine what future releases could entail. :hmm: :drool:

DevilsShoes-
What a descriptive and positive review. I hope to get the boxed set soon-but even more excited after reading your post.
I already agree with you about the RHMT video.
:up:

DevilsShoes said:
I really like the whole boxset, you can see how lovingly its all been put together, the band really have tried to make this a high quality product. I reckon a lot of this was Bono's idea, he came up with the DVD and book idea for the HTDAAB release, and this treads very similiar ground.

The book's great, really interesting hearing the thoughts of Bono, Edge, Adam, Eno and Lanois, I think they all by consesus believe the album to be the bands first truly great collection of songs.

For me the DVD's the highlight, I know many people were dissappointed with the Red Hill Mining Town video, but I think unrealistic expectations may have played their part. Adam and Edge are basically AWOL and although Bono's performance is probably a bit too histrionic at times, its totally in keeping with his eighties persona, so I don't really have a problem with it. The Paris gig shows the band firing on all cylinders, Bono's voice is full of passion and dynamism, especially on Exit, and overall everyone seems to be really enjoying themselves.

Just imagine what future releases could entail. :hmm: :drool:

I totally think you hit the nail on head. Especially during Exit, he loses himself in that song and you can see why he has said it won't be sung again because it takes him to a different place that he doesn't like. It's an awesome performance.

DevilsShoes said:

For me the DVD's the highlight, I know many people were dissappointed with the Red Hill Mining Town video, but I think unrealistic expectations may have played their part. Adam and Edge are basically AWOL and although Bono's performance is probably a bit too histrionic at times, its totally in keeping with his eighties persona, so I don't really have a problem with it.

I wasn't disappointed, I expected it to be bad...and it was wonderfully bad...:hug:

I could completely understand why they never released that video...:yes:

The boxset is :drool:....

It's fascinating to see the effect that Joanou's cameras had on the band between the second leg and the third leg. Ebert's comment in his Rattle and Hum review that the band is mostly silhouettes is striking when you compare the Paris gig and the final Rattle and Hum film.

What's interesting is that U2 really did take note of the Rattle and Hum treatment they got, as they really replicated it a great deal in the Zoo TV tour, particularly in the cinematic lighting style they subsequently adopted.

For some reason, the Paris DVD video treatment is very "ordinary" to me. (Not to say that the performance isn't fantastic, for it is.) Nonetheless, I'm glad that they gussied up their live show...though it's fascinating to look back on a time when it really was just four guys and a very loud noise.

nathan1977 said:
...though it's fascinating to look back on a time when it really was just four guys and a very loud noise.

It was amazing to be able to see the show 2x back then, and watching this Paris dvd brought me right back again. It was like no time had passed by. :drool:

Sure thing, Daniel.

equationie2.jpg

Enjoy!

elevated_u2_fan said:
I'm too lazy to look...

Anybody want to repeat how to get The Daltons Easter Egg?

1. Go to Video menu on DVD
2. Click the white bar above the "U2" at the top
3. It asks for a password and gives you some letters and numbers to choose from. Type "BETTY"
4. Dalton Brothers footage will play.

Enjoy

JCOSTER said:
^ You must get the boxed set its beautiful and the paris concert, OMG, :drool: :drool: :drool:. Brought back memories.

:hyper: Man, when I get my new credit card, there goes the food $!! * Making list of things to buy: Videos, T-shirts, movie tix, train tickets, videos, movie tix, movie tix .....and tires for my car.*

Wow, listening to that Sun City version of Silver and Gold really reminds you how powerful and cool Bono's voice used to be before Lovetown ended. :rockon: I love it when he sings in that deeper low voice he used to in songs like that and God Pt. II, etc.

Back
Top Bottom