Joshua Tree Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not the greatest album ever BY FAR, however, it does have some outstanding songs.

"Streets" - best opening song and best concert song EVER

"With or Without You" - best U2 hit song featuring Bono's soaring vocals

"One Tree Hill" - one of U2's all time best songs (my second favorite after "Pride")

"Exit" - one of, if not the, most dark and spooky U2 song

However, there are plenty of weaknesses:

"Bullet" - the placement doesn't flow on the album as it annoying disturbs the mood created with the first 3 tracks. Plus, I simply don't like this version of the song - I skipped over it in '87 and I skip over it today.

"Trip..." - AAAAHH! Worst U2 song on an album, ever! (No offense meant to the Interference member with the same moniker.) It's a loud, obnoxious song that, at best, should have been a b-side.

"In God's Country" - a very catchy song that grabs you, but it is alos overly simplistic, in both the music and lyrics. Bono sounding way too preachy here and Edge sounds like he hit one string on his guitar and let the echo effect ring throughout the song.

Overall: Best album of '87 by far. One of the best of the 80's. But not U2's best by any means.

Originally posted by doctorwho:

"Bullet" - the placement doesn't flow on the album as it annoying disturbs the mood created with the first 3 tracks. Plus, I simply don't like this version of the song - I skipped over it in '87 and I skip over it today.

B]

You gotto be kidding. With "Bullet the blue sky" U2 has ever created one their most powerful song. The lyrics are simply mindblowing. One of the best finishes to the song by The Edge.

Originally posted by doctorwho:

"In God's Country" - a very catchy song that grabs you, but it is alos overly simplistic, in both the music and lyrics. Bono sounding way too preachy here and Edge sounds like he hit one string on his guitar and let the echo effect ring throughout the song.
B]

It is of small duration song (2.57 ) but that doesnot mean it is simplistic. It is one of my favorites on the album

Trip..." - AAAAHH! Worst U2 song on an album, ever!
B][/QUOTE]

Have you ever listened to Numb ? I agree Trip is not the best of songs but its a good one atleast.

AcrobatMan

Any more Hardcore TJT fans
smile.gif

"Streets" is probably the most awesome opener to an album I've ever heard. It's like walking into a Gothic church streaked with sunlight.

And of course JT will always remain the ultimate U2 album in the collective consciousness, for better or worse.

[This message has been edited by Saracene (edited 05-18-2002).]

I know I'm probably in the minority, but I actually prefer many of the JT B-sides to the album tracks. If I had to choose a 12 track dream JT this is what it would be...

SIDE 1
1 Streets
2 Still Haven't Found
3 With Or Without
4 Luminous Times
5 Walk To The Water
6 Running To Stand

SIDE 2
1 Red Hill
2 In God's Country
3 Spanish Eyes
4 Sweetest Thing
5 Deep In The Heart
6 One Tree Hill

I was the same Acrobatman. Bullet was my fave for a very long time. I always wondered why it wasn't loved more. I guess U2 do as they forever play it at gigs.

I love JT but its not my fave album. I think JT has just become the ultimate u2 album. The one album that all fans appreicate for what it is, one of the greatest ever recorded, and even though it may not be a lot of newer fans personal favourite, I think most of us, appreciate it as that one U2 album that deserves a lot of respect.

There are just too many songs on JT to single out a few. I can't really fault any of them. My only criticism of JT is the poorer recording and the low sound on Exit!

------------------
I am a cowgirl of funk

*Last Train to Bono*

[This message has been edited by zooropamanda (edited 05-18-2002).]

oh

I thought this thread was about how everybody loves my hometown

**jezebel goes back outside**

btw, I agree to disagree with doctorwho. I think The Joshua Tree is the best rock album ever, with Dark Side of the Moon following closely behind. Just my .02

I love JT and almost always rank it as my favourite U2 album. Oddly enough, I don't listen to it that often. When I do, I always listen to it beginning to end and it's a very moving and special experience.

Streets is my favourite U2 song. WOWY used to be--still love it, but not my favourite. Prefer the live version of Bullet. Running is amazing. Red Hill is very moving. The studio version of ISHFWILF is excellent but I don't seem to like it as much as many U2 fans. One Tree Hill brings tears to my eyes, Exit is powerful, God's Country is fun but not the greatest. Ditto for Trip. Really, I think Mothers is the overlooked gem on this album. That song gives me chills like you would not believe.

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

Back
Top Bottom