John Oates (of Hall & Oates) mentions U2 in an interview...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kerc

The Fly
Musician.com: Did you guys ever get any flak for being white guys playing black music?

Oates: Not in Philadelphia. They got it because it?s part of the experience there. Sure, there was a bit of ?You guys are trying to sound black.? We just did the kind of music that we were influenced by as kids growing up. We looked at it like, ?Soul comes from the heart. Soul is a state of mind and an attitude. It?s not really a style.? If you want to make a clich? out of it, it becomes a style, but it?s not really a style. There?s Irish soul, there?s African soul, there?s American Indian soul?if you listen to traditional music of any people in the world, you?ll hear some pretty soulful stuff. That?s the way we look at it, and that?s the way we do things.

For instance, like the early U2 stuff?to me, that was some serious soul, but it was Irish soul. There was a lot of heavy emotion going down there. Soul is not domain of any one race.

Very well said, Mr. Oates.

------------------
Atr?eme con tu est?tica
Quiebra mi conciencia
Novato sin pr?ctica
Adicto a tu presencia...

Originally posted by kerc:
For instance, like the early U2 stuff?to me, that was some serious soul, but it was Irish soul. There was a lot of heavy emotion going down there. Soul is not domain of any one race.

Hey, I really love that. He is so right!
smile.gif

U2 are frequently referred to in interviews as an influence to a very diverse range of musical people.Cool
I just read Burton left FF. Timing tch*

[This message has been edited by cass (edited 04-26-2002).]

Originally posted by kerc:
like the early U2 stuff?to me, that was some serious soul, but it was Irish soul. There was a lot of heavy emotion going down there.

He should check out some of their later stuff, heavy emotion there too.

Back
Top Bottom