John Lennon Tribute on TNT...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pvanort

The Fly
(I have gone back and edited this because since I posted this, this program has gotten it's share of cheesy! But I still think Dave was great!) It's on right now! Very emotional so far. I did'nt like the version of 'Imagine', but the Dave Matthews solo acoustic version of 'In My Life' was frickin' outstanding!! I almost cried...

------------------
"I'm already gone... Felt that way all along..."

[This message has been edited by pvanort (edited 10-02-2001).]

You have got to be kidding me.

1. The cover of "Imagine" was just awful. I'm getting sick of these singers who think they're the next Whitney Houston.

2. Dave Matthews is such a burn-out. He destroyed the song. He even messed up while playing guitar. I can't understand why so many admire that guy.

This tribute, though for a good cause, is there to attract an MTV audience. You would think that Paul, George, and Ringo would make some appearences (maybe they will). But what are these bands ? Once again, I agree with the cause, John Lennon was an inspiring artist - but the people covering these songs don't even belong playing one note. What about the bands that SHOULD play - U2, the Stones, Oasis, etc.

*Turns off TV in disgust*

~Zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

" The greatest lesson you'll ever learn - is to love, and be loved in return" - David Bowie

"Hey John Lennon ! We don't need your help." - Bono

While I didn't see these performances, you have to realize that they're "tributes," not photocopy performances! You are likely to get more Dave Matthews in a John Lennon song if Dave Matthews is playing it. As such, you are going to hate this tribute if you hate the artists in it. Not like that was a surprise anyway, now is it?

But I agree. Where's Oasis at least? Aren't they the quintessential Beatles fans? Apparently, though, Liam refuses to come back to America for some reason. He's so interminably cranky that you wonder why that band even stays together.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Originally posted by Zoocifer:
You have got to be kidding me.

1. The cover of "Imagine" was just awful. I'm getting sick of these singers who think they're the next Whitney Houston.

2. Dave Matthews is such a burn-out. He destroyed the song. He even messed up while playing guitar. I can't understand why so many admire that guy.

This tribute, though for a good cause, is there to attract an MTV audience. You would think that Paul, George, and Ringo would make some appearences (maybe they will). But what are these bands ? Once again, I agree with the cause, John Lennon was an inspiring artist - but the people covering these songs don't even belong playing one note. What about the bands that SHOULD play - U2, the Stones, Oasis, etc.

*Turns off TV in disgust*

~Zoo~

I do agree that there are more than a few bands or performers, who I would like to see as part of this, but I was expecting a MUCH worse line-up, possibly going so low, as to include things like N'Sync, etc!... I'm not even a DMB fan, but I just found his version very touching, with the images mixed in, and right after Kevin Spacey's speech dedicating the program to all those who are helping ion NYC...

------------------

I agree that the girl who sang "Imagine" reeked the place out. It was earsplitting. Dave Matthews sucked. However, STP's version of Revolution rocked. I am currently being unimpressed by Marc Anthony's "Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds." Sean Lennon performed with Moby and some other dude.Unfortunately, he seems to have inherited more from Yoko than John. What a shame Julian Lennon didn't come, as well as the other Beatles. I still hold out hope Paul will make a surprise appearence, he's been in NYC since before the attack.

Originally posted by U2Kitten:
Sean Lennon performed with Moby and some other dude. Unfortunately, he seems to have inherited more from Yoko than John. What a shame Julian Lennon didn't come, as well as the other Beatles.

Obviously you haven't heard Sean's solo album. Sounds just like John. I must admit that it would have been cooler have Sean Lennon be the lead singer than Rufus Wainwright ("the other dude") in that tribute. Julian Lennon sounds and performs too much like his father. The critics smashed his career as a result.

But I have to admit. Yoko Ono is quite hard to listen to; way too avant-garde when grouped together with her late husband. Anyone ever hear Ono's "Kiss Kiss Kiss" from Lennon's last original album, "Double Fantasy"? I couldn't stop laughing. I doubled over the first time I heard it, and I still do.
tongue.gif

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

Oh but now "Instant Karma" is being butchered.
frown.gif

The biggest insult to that song since Nike used it in an ad campaign in 1990.

Oh well...it's a good cause. Right?

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by pvanort:
It's on right now! Very emotional so far. I did'nt like the version of 'Imagine', but the Dave Matthews solo acoustic version of 'In My Life' was frickin' outstanding!! I almost cried...

Okay now wait a minute! As I said in my first post 'SO FAR' which was right after STP. There has been an increasing amount of cheese building here, like this version 'INSTANT KARMA'... I dunno... :p

------------------

And now Lou Reed is ruining "Jealous Guy." I hate tributes now!

mad.gif

biggrin.gif

Melon

------------------

Well, Sean Lennon's solo was cool, the only real redeeming part of the last half. Of course, I like his music, so I don't count for objectivity.

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by melon:
Well, Sean Lennon's solo was cool, the only real redeeming part of the last half. Of course, I like his music, so I don't count for objectivity.

Melon

I agree. I especially liked his version of 'Julia'...

BTW... Who was that with David Copperfield? Jaysus!...
biggrin.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by pvanort (edited 10-02-2001).]

there was a 1988 tribute to John Lennon that was decent, Elton John did Imagine and Bono did a solo performance, and he was full on Rattle and Hum era Bono. He sang into the mic with his long hair down in his face.

I haven't seen this show since 1989 and no one ever mentions it.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Originally posted by david:
there was a 1988 tribute to John Lennon that was decent, Elton John did Imagine and Bono did a solo performance, and he was full on Rattle and Hum era Bono. He sang into the mic with his long hair down in his face.

I haven't seen this show since 1989 and no one ever mentions it.

Was this held in Central Park?? I want to say I remember something like that for some reason...

------------------

Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
Can you tell me please , what song bono sang

I really don't remember what song he sang.

I was 12 years old when I saw it, it was aired on The Disney Channel.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

It was nice too see one of my husbands ( Kevin Spacey) sing..please no mean comments now ! I thought he was very passionate !

I liked Sean singing "This Boy" with Rufus Wraingright and then singing "Julia".

Also Craig David did a great job at covering "Come Togheter"...

Originally posted by Naya:
It was nice too see one of my husbands ( Kevin Spacey) sing..please no mean comments now ! I thought he was very passionate !

LOL! I thought Kevin Spacey's version of Mind Games was fantastic...better, it's sad to say, than most of the performances by professional singers
rolleyes.gif

------------------
"I buy socks."
--Adam, when asked what he does with the money he would have spent on drink

"Do you know," lectures Larry Mullen Jr, "One of Hitler's first military acts was to carpet bomb the village of his birth? He was obsessed by obliterating his past."
"We should do that to the Q photo library," muses Edge. "Destroy all evidence of mullets!"

--Q Magazine interview, "The Elastic Bono Band"

Originally posted by Naya:

I liked Sean singing "This Boy" with Rufus Wraingright and then singing "Julia".

Also Craig David did a great job at covering "Come Togheter"...

Yeah, I was quite surprised! Spacey was one of the best last night...

------------------

Naya and Ivan:
Bono/U2 also sang the Beatle's "Help" and Lennon's "Cold Turkey" (not to mention Dylan's "Maggie's Farm) at the Giants Stadium Amnesty International concert in 1986. I have a tape: amazingly emotive versions by Bono, of course.

U2 (and Oasis and Julian Lennon and the remaining Beatles) have too much pride to take part in such a worthless event.

BTW, what has Sean Lennon ever done? It seems he inherited his mother's musical talents. (Julian sounds like a dead ringer for John, tho, I must admit)

Glad to hear that some more objective ears are calling out Dave Matthews as the crappy singer he is. I can't believe some people like his never-ending version of 'All Along the Watchtower'. After his concert I had to dig through my tapes to pull out a little Jimi Hendrix and remind myself that it actually IS a great song.

Originally posted by Judah:
Naya and Ivan:
Bono/U2 also sang the Beatle's "Help" and Lennon's "Cold Turkey" (not to mention Dylan's "Maggie's Farm) at the Giants Stadium Amnesty International concert in 1986. I have a tape: amazingly emotive versions by Bono, of course.

I have that tape too, man was it a good show, and how hot Bono was in that suede fringed jacket!

I take back what I said earlier about Sean Lennon, the second half of the show revealed he does have a good voice after all. Not as much like his dad's as Julian's, but good.

I liked STP. I was confused at the very least by "Nowhere Man" as performed by Natalie Merchant, however.

------------------
The King has spoken!

PLEBA- You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. :)

Tpyos skcu

Actually, 'Nowhere Man' could've been worse I suppose. I did'nt find that one too offensive...

------------------
"Hey, pardon me for askin', but who's that little ol' man?..."

Back
Top Bottom