jerry mele

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lemmy

Babyface
I'm wondering what happened to Jerry Mele, the former head of security.

I know he was hurt on the the Pop tour in Mexico City.

Thanks for your help.

he moved to hawaii 4 years after that and died a year ago

He did? What of? Related to injuries from Mexico?

That's sad.

Anyone????

I've been interested in Mr. Mele since reading about him in At The End of the World.

There's a section in chapt 34 that talks about the security team on that tour, Jerry in particular. His philosophy concerning concert security was pretty inspirational.

So he actually died of lung cancer or you're fully bullshitting us?

You're last 2 posts confuded me, Tomer.

^ :rolleyes:

Anyway, I found this on the U2 FAQ.

In the Mexico City PopMart video, Bono tells the crowd at one point, "We almost lost a brother last night." What's the story behind that?

After the first concert in Mexico City one night earlier, there was an incident involving U2's chief of security, Jerry Mele, and the sons of Mexican President Ernesto Zedillo. As the story goes, bodyguards protecting the Zedillo sons tried to leave the concert through a restricted area and ended up in a fight with TV crews using heavy equipment in the area. As the President's sons were leaving by car, Mele tried to get them to stop by standing in front of their car. They refused to stop, accelerating slowly until Mele was off the car. The accident left Mele with severe injuries, and that tour (which ended 9 days later) was the last he worked for U2.

http://www.u2faqs.com/live/

I've Googled the hell out of 'jerry mele'...the man's an enigma.

Thanks, neutral. I've seen that one.

from At the End of the World, pg 291- " Jerry got into security 12 years ago, when he running a limousine service. One night someone attacked a celebrity wh owas renting one of his cars and the star's bodyguard froze. Jerry stepped in and handled the situation. The star fired his own man on the spot and insisted Jerry come to work for him. Since then he's provided security for a string of big names, none of whom he wants listed on the record, except for the heavy metal band Slayer, who have asked Jerry to use their name. That band's crowd included skinheads, neo-Nazis, the worst of the worst. His first night with them, Jerry told the crowd that he was not there to challenge their beliefs or change them- he was onlyto make sure they all had a good time and forgot their troubles for a couple hours. So in thatspirit he was going to hand out tags. He wanted them to tag their weapons and pass them in to be checked. After the show was over they could pick them up again. He collected 300 knives and 56 handguns.
"We're gonna win in the end," Jerry says. "I promise you, we are gonna win."

Jerry Mele is not dead, as I spoke to him just last Monday. Jerry, like U2 bodyguard John Sampson, works as a bodyguard for the Rolling Stones. I have encountered Jerry on 3 occasions in the past 4 months here in Los Angeles. In May and July he served as bodyguard for Keith Richards when Keith played with Willie Nelson in May and at the Gram Parsons tribute in July. Last Monday, the 31st, Jerry served as a bodyguard for Ronnie Wood, when Ronnie played with Rod Stewart at the Hollywood Bowl. On all occasions, Jerry allowed fans to meet the guys and get things signed, so he is a pretty cool guy. Last Monday I asked him if he was going to work with U2 next year and he said he hoped to.

I had heard that one of the Mexican Presidents son's body guards actually pistol whipped him as they tried to pass through a restricted area and Jerry tried to stop them? I never heard the being run over story?

Hopefully the above post about him is correct. I havent heard about him since Popmart, other than he was injured badly in Mexico. Jerry is a super cool guy and was very respectful to the fans and people with access who were not crew on Popmart and Zoo. Nothing against Scotty but Jerry just seemed to be way more accomodating and down to earth. Then again, most of the people on U2's crew are generally pretty cool on the whole (with a few exceptions!! LOL ;) ) If Jerry is healthy U2 should definately get him on board for next year!

Last edited:
I had heard this story a few years back during the Elevation Tour. It is believed by some that the Popmart in Mexico video was and will be the last concert U2 play in Mexico. If they don't hit Mexico on the Atomic Tour ;), then I will believe this. What a shame.

martha said:
Tomer needs to stop posting nonsensical bullshit in threads like this. :rolleyes: It's not funny, it's annoying, and sometimes people are really trying to get serious information.

Agree. That particluar one was not fuuny at all. :madspit:

Thanks, Hallup! That's great !

Blue Room- GO BUCKS! See you humps in November!

lemmy said:
Thanks, Hallup! That's great !

Blue Room- GO BUCKS! See you humps in November!

LOL, hey, both teams have a LONG way to go before the game at the Penitentiary!! Look out for that Wolf Pack!!

martha said:
Tomer needs to stop posting nonsensical bullshit in threads like this. :rolleyes: It's not funny, it's annoying, and sometimes people are really trying to get serious information.

people

dont ever take me serious

ever

Tomer said:

people

dont ever take me serious

ever

If someone was a newbie and didn't know you were full of bullshit, then yes they would take your answer seriously.

Every minute of the day does not have to be playtime.

Back
Top Bottom