Jerry Falwell blames gay people and non-Christians for Tuesday's tragedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Falwell's lost it, I think, in trying to blame anyone but the terrorists who hi-jacked the planes, the terrorist leaders who organized this, and the rogue states that supported and harbored them.

Two points, both of them obvious, I think:

1. Falwell is only speaking for Falwell, and in no way does he necessarily represent the views of other Christians. He doesn't represent mine, and I believe he doesn't represent the VAST majority of Christians.

(Honestly, I think the attack against us happened not because we are evil, but because we are good.)

2. These kinds of foot-in-mouth statements, these mis-blamings occur ALL THE TIME from ALL SIDES. If I need to remind you, President Clinton himself tried to blame the Oklahoma City bombing on "right-wing radio". The statements are stupid and condemnable, but not surprising.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

September, streets capsizing,
Spilling over, down the drain

"You know, by God, I actually pity those poor bastards we're goin' up against. By God, I do. We're not just gonna shoot the bastards, we're going to cut out their living guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy...bastards by the bushel."
from the film Patton

Also, those of you familiar with the Old Testament of the Bible might recall that whenever the Jews ("God's chosen people")ever failed to live up to His mandate, a group of Babylonians/Assyrians/etc. ("wicked, heathen peoples") just happened to show up and massacre/exile/conquer them. Pretty ironic. I believe this to be a fair (though perhaps oversimplified) interpretation of some of the events described in the Old Testament. (I hope I'm not offending anybody Jewish or Muslim or Arabic here--I honestly don't know and would be interested to hear their interpretation of events like this.)

In conclusion, people who believe in a God that resembles the one described in the Bible should be prepared to accept that divine judgment happens. (Again, I'm not saying with certainty that this is what happened on Tuesday, but it's a possibility.)

Anyway, I've been rambling on about this thread for way too long now, so I'll stop.

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 09-14-2001).]

Whatever happened to 'I totally disagree with what you are saying, but will defend to the end your right to say it...'?

Whatever happened to 'I totally disagree with what you are saying, but will defend to the end your right to say it...'?

I will defend this priciple to the day I die. No matter how unpopular it makes me.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Falwell's lost it
Did he ever "have it"?

Seriously, do you let people like this walk around without a minder? Put a ring through his nose and let him dance for money! (No offence, bear lovers)

This is truly disgusting and sad to hear these men attack other groups of Americans and attempt to imply they are somehow responsible.

It just goes to show that unity in the U.S. is both elusive and an illusion, something you only hear in a song. We are all still bigots, racists, lovers, liberals, conservatives, moderates, haters, lovers and we will always let our petty differences divide us. Sorry to burst the unity bubble, but these two very dear Americans, Mr. Falwell and the eager to agree Pat Robertson have just confirmed that we will never be able to be truly united as Americans first and foremost.

If we can't do it in a time like this, when the Hell can we???

I note that the Rev. Billy Grahm in his speech yesterday blamed no one...I wish he would call those two up and give them a good scolding...but he is to much of a gentleman...however his son Franklin just might....

Did anyone else notice how the Rev Grahm went over and shook the hand of all the other religious leaders on the stage with him..even the Muslim...Pat and Jerry could learn a lot from him. He believes what he believes is the right way...but he respects the rights of others to believe as they want...

Those two know anything they say will be taken out of context and screwed with...so why aren't they extra careful to get their views across without being so inflammatory...

This is America...believe what you will...but have take tact lessons or something!

Don't other countries have pagans...and abortions...and secular society? Why should God single America out for his wrath...why isn't..oh... Denmark... undergoing this trial by fire firsthand?

dream wanderer

[This message has been edited by dream wanderer (edited 09-15-2001).]

To Jerry and Pat:

What you two prove is that even the stupidest of men get legitimacy if they "pretend" to know the Bible. You would both be labelled an extremist hate bloc without the Bible.

Oh I love how you always will blame liberals for tragic events like this. Well, dumb fucks, if you want to play games, I can put the blame on conservatives. Want to see how I can do that?

1) President Reagan both trained and funded Osama bin Laden billions of dollars to drive the Soviets out of Afghanistan during the 1980s.

2) President Reagan funded and armed Iraq during the seven year Iran-Iraq War during the 1980s.

3) President Reagan arguably funded and armed Iran during the Iran-Iraq War, hence perpetuating the war longer, generating billions for our defense contractors.

4) President Reagan created the militias during the 1980s, as the last line of defense after the National Guard, in case nuclear war would have ravaged our manpower. These same militias also arguably bombed Oklahoma City in 1994.

5) President Bush I sloppily started the Gulf War, apparently scarring Timothy McVeigh into hating the U.S. (he apparently witnessed atrocities like burying Iraqi soldiers alive while still in their trenches) and turning previous terrorist ally Osama bin Laden into a sworn enemy (he claims we defiled "sacred" Islamic land during the war).

6) President Bush II has angered international tensions with increasingly nationalistic language. Only "coincidentally," the U.S. has been bombing Iraq for the past couple weeks, and, after hearing what happened, Saddam Hussein rejoiced over our bombing. I think that Hussein is just as much of a suspect in the WTC disaster as bin Laden, perhaps with both of them conspiring together.

See, Jerry and Pat, you two are a dumb asses, along with the rest of your fanatical "Christian" cohorts. While I can successfully argue the top six points, there is no one to blame but the terrorists. You, to me, are two amongst many who unknowingly have created the "Anti-Christ," as anyone who mindlessly twists and contorts His message into such hate speech, especially in times like these, is surely no ally of God. Repent, Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, for your own Judgment is near...

Melon

------------------
How long must we sing this song?!

Back
Top Bottom