Jan. 3rd, Latest U2 Video to air on Qtv ? / First single release speculation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't forget "Winter." This one is going to be heard by some lucky people at the London premier of the movie Brothers on the 23rd.

yes. I think this is overlooked. We're going to have two songs this month to hold us over for February. Looking pretty good to me right now.

yes. I think this is overlooked. We're going to have two songs this month to hold us over for February. Looking pretty good to me right now.

So has it been confirmed yet that the song is in there?

It would be funny because it would be the first time in my life where I'd be so excited about a movie and not give one shit about it. :D

Is Brothers really going to premiere this month? It seems that after it got pushed from this past prestige season they'd hold it until the fall. Rumors were they'd premiere it at Cannes and proceed from there, I'd be surprised if after all this secrecy and waiting the song trickled out in the movie first. I like the cast, I like the director, but I'm sure it'll just be a neutered remake of the original.

I looked up POP on wikipedia; released on March 3 1997.

It says Discotechque was released on February 3rd?:huh:

I guess that means the single was released in stores...

I know I saw the video the last week of December 1996 late one night on MTV, and heard the tune on the radio all through January....

I can't believe we haven't heard anything yet.

I think getting news tomorrow is possible, and getting word by next week is likely. After just reading the (fantastic) Q interviews, it doesn't sound like U2 is trying any secret or new release tactics.

Is Brothers really going to premiere this month? It seems that after it got pushed from this past prestige season they'd hold it until the fall. Rumors were they'd premiere it at Cannes and proceed from there, I'd be surprised if after all this secrecy and waiting the song trickled out in the movie first. I like the cast, I like the director, but I'm sure it'll just be a neutered remake of the original.

The original sucks. Terrible idea to remake it.

I'm still kind of inclined to be hopeful for tommorrow (the 3rd). Could be wishful thinking, but if we don't hear anything in the next week I will be puzzled.

The original sucks. Terrible idea to remake it.

Did we see the same movie? I didn't think it was perfect, but I think the writer/director Susanne Bier is an excellent dramatist, telling realistic stories about loss and absence, her After the Wedding is one of my favorite screenplays this decade (and an excellently acted movie) because it dares to tell a complicated story and let it unfold through the current actions of the characters, rather than by giving us obviously-for-the-audience exposition the way mainstream movies doe, Brothers is a bit uneven, but features some heartbreaking performances.

Did we see the same movie? I didn't think it was perfect, but I think the writer/director Susanne Bier is an excellent dramatist, telling realistic stories about loss and absence, her After the Wedding is one of my favorite screenplays this decade (and an excellently acted movie) because it dares to tell a complicated story and let it unfold through the current actions of the characters, rather than by giving us obviously-for-the-audience exposition the way mainstream movies doe, Brothers is a bit uneven, but features some heartbreaking performances.

We certainly saw the same movie. To me, Susanne Bier represents conservatism and predictability. I am never moved by her films, her characters, her scripts. All I see is bleak sketches of the postmodern Danish family, with no real political or psychological point to them. "Brothers" failed miserably to make any artistic statement, and the plot was rather boring. Her films have no real value in my opinion, and although she can really get the best out of her actors, her films lack inventiveness and magic. Danish cinema has been stuck with social realism for over 10 years now, over and over we hear about the same problems facing the same archetypes. I'm sick of it. But that's my opinion, and we should be talking about U2. Who could still make a great song. But the Danish version of brothers was dangerously black and white in depicting the war, so much so that a U2 song, however low-key, would feel out of place.

/rant

Do you guys think the album/single art is already in the can given the push back of the album release date? If so, I imagine the only impediment to getting the music out is mastering.

I looked up POP on wikipedia; released on March 3 1997.

It says Discotechque was released on February 3rd?:huh:

I guess that means the single was released in stores...

I know I saw the video the last week of December 1996 late one night on MTV, and heard the tune on the radio all through January....

I can't believe we haven't heard anything yet.

I remember seeing the video the first day it was released, but I'm trying to remember when that was, but December doesn't sound right to me...

According to what I've read, the entire track didn't leak onto the internet until December 27, 96. So I'm thinking the video wasn't until the beginning of January.

But it wasn't suppose to be released that early, the release date was pushed up due to the leak.

So it makes sense that we haven't heard anything yet...

Just to let you know I went though the descriptions of the programme details on Sky for tomorrow, no mention of a new video or single.

yeah, the buzz around a new single is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. i'm really starting to think we won't hear it for at least a week or two.

yeah, the buzz around a new single is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. i'm really starting to think we won't hear it for at least a week or two.

I just want to hear about it, even if it is only a week or two away.

I'm confused by that quote in the link provided. So did the guy like the music or not? Seems like he's saying that its the same stuff as HTDAAB from four years ago. strange.

Yeah, we need some clarification ASAP. So did multiple people hear it? If so, we should have reviews popping up online today and tomorrow.

Don't forget you'll also get a few bad reviews from people too. If you already have a sound created in your head, and U2 doesn't create it for you, you will probably be disappointed.

example being any sort of Edge sounding guitar (the chimes). We already know there will be some on this album (Only Love/Magnificent).

The odds are in favor that most of the reviews will be very good though. But this french person's review seems to side on the negative, and is very vague. Saying something is too Vertigo tells us nothing about the new song.

And saying Edge has used the same sound for the past 4 years is a joke. He's used the same sound for the past 30 years; he's just done a good job of hiding it in some songs. But every album has Edge's chimey sounding guitar. Some albums (JT, HTDAAB) have a ton.

The interpretation I get from something being "too Vertigo" makes me just think its an upbeat record, like Elevation or something.

Which is nice. I dont get most of the rest of it though, its odd the person doesnt like it if theyre at an exclusive listening, you'd think the fan types would be eager to get in to something like that.

Actually, too Vertigo is about the most accurate 2-word review you could give to Get Your Boots On. You can decide if "too Vertigo" is a good or bad thing based on your opinion of...Vertigo.

Edit: I'm not terribly fond of this single choice either, even though I think (based on the clip) its a solid song in the vain of Even Better Than the Real Thing (as far as mood goes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom