Jacknife Lee will be in the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2tour.de says so, at least. Here's what the German article says:
"The work on the follow-up CD of How to dismantle an atomic bomb has obviously begun. According to a statement from Management firm Big Life representing the producer Garret "Jacknife" Lee, he is to go in the studio with U2 soon."

And this is from Big Life Management's Jacknife Lee's biography site:
"Garret is soon to begin work with the Editors on their new album and will rejoin U2 for a month in September for what is sure to be another highly creative recording ."

Sooo...Jacknife producing/mixing and Rubin engineering? :confused:

Last edited:
I kind of like the idea of a quick, highly concentrated trip to the studio with lots of creative people around. Get some serious ideas flowing, and then follow up on them after the tour's finished.

With Rolling Stone's piece, the Rick Rubin story, the leaked tracks, and now this, it all appears to point in the direction of a few new tracks for a full greatest hits 1980-2006 album to be out for Christmas... Disappointing, but probably true.

PookaMacP said:
With Rolling Stone's piece, the Rick Rubin story, the leaked tracks, and now this, it all appears to point in the direction of a few new tracks for a full greatest hits 1980-2006 album to be out for Christmas... Disappointing, but probably true.

That doesn't mean anything. We didn't have any indication of that from the official site, neither from the band's members/crew. Even Bono hasn't started with his idiot things about the "next big thing"...

No one else but the Rolling Stone said anything about a greatest hits U2 album.

I wonder where Eno/Lanois are? Will they not be involved with this album? Or did they do their part already? (the "trusted pair of long time producers" that picked the best out of Bomb leftovers earlier this year)

PookaMacP said:

I'm sure that this won't be the case.

well, the good news is that the band is working on SOMETHING.

Adam has put down his spoons, Larry has stopped grooming his tour mullet, The Edge has discontinued his search for the perfect cowboy hat, and Bono is no longer in africa digging wells.

U2girl said:
No one else but the Rolling Stone said anything about a greatest hits U2 album.

Well, Lisa Robinson does mention it in her Vanity Fair column and someone I know (online) who runs a site for CD release dates mentioned to me that he heard the rumor of a possible Greatest Hits package from U2. He's promised to check on it for me...we'll see.

However, I'm hoping for a full blown album of 'rock candy' from the boys. Taking the songwriting genius they've shown on the last two albums and coming through with a rawer sound, with even louder guitar. That's what I want. :yes:

Hmmm...interesting, so maybe this GH package is really happening. Isn't it a bit odd that no bigger leak has come out about this? Are we really getting our U2 release news from RollingStone and Vanity Fair???

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Well, Lisa Robinson does mention it in her Vanity Fair column and someone I know (online) who runs a site for CD release dates mentioned to me that he heard the rumor of a possible Greatest Hits package from U2. He's promised to check on it for me...we'll see.

However, I'm hoping for a full blown album of 'rock candy' from the boys. Taking the songwriting genius they've shown on the last two albums and coming through with a rawer sound, with even louder guitar. That's what I want. :yes:
I hope all this news (I really don't give much credit to it) are wrong and based in another dumb rumor spread through a circle of journalists.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

someone I know (online) who runs a site for CD release dates mentioned to me that he heard the rumor of a possible Greatest Hits package from U2. He's promised to check on it for me...we'll see.

Wouldn't that have been from Rolling Stone?

its been mentioned in 2 magazines, not one murmour on any other internet sites, or any other magazines (Q in the UK for instance who are normally VERY uptodate with things coming out),

so lets all just look forward to whatever the band has planned for us :)

Two thoughts when I read that article:

1). Will Jacknife be the sole producer, or will it be another hodgepodge of producers?

and

2). Looks like there's U2 soundtrack material in the works. I wonder if the beach clips are soundtrack material or album material. (the soundtrack stuff was mentioned in the Big Life article):

It was in 2004 that Garret spent the highly creative and productive period of time with U2, working on tracks that would become the multi million selling album "How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb". Garret has production credits on seven tracks on the album, including the Grammy Award winning "City Of Blinding Lights", the stunning "A Man And A Woman" as well as "One Step Closer". During the summer of 2005, Garret was once again called on by U2 for more additional production and mixes for various tracks featuring on upcoming soundtracks.

:hmm:

Well, all I have to say is: Get Jacknife Lee out of that studio. Everything he touches turns to shit.

Utoo said:
Two thoughts when I read that article:

1). Will Jacknife be the sole producer, or will it be another hodgepodge of producers?

and

2). Looks like there's U2 soundtrack material in the works. I wonder if the beach clips are soundtrack material or album material. (the soundtrack stuff was mentioned in the Big Life article):

:hmm:

He was in that Pirates thing wasn't he?

Personally I don't think the 3rd Best Of, coming out in fall '06 makes much sense, but it could be at the request of the label.

Does anyone remember where the news item is for this?

Anyhow, disregarding speculation of the 3rd Best Of....

I think to work with someone like Rubin, this would need to be a solid commitment on both parts, considering U2 will need to be rehearsing sometime in November, U2 will only have at most 3 months to record with Rubin (accepting the rumors, that is).
Taking into consideration all of Rubin's projects, U2's timetable or "window" of opportunity, I'd say there isn't anything substantial to this rumor outside of Best Of tracks.

With Jacknife Lee, I doubt his plate is as full as Rubin, but in any case, we are talking about such a small window, any work in the fall of 2006 for U2 has to be either preliminary work for album #12 or work on the 3rd Best Of.

So accepting speculation of a 3rd Best Of, does make some sense. U2 might want to 'test the waters' with Rubin for a track or three. And with Jacknife, the process may be eaqsier with the previous working relationship and such.

Also, you have to consider that the Rubin rumor has already been extinguished because he's simply too busy to work with them (he's supposedly producing about 5 upcoming albums) and that if the Rubin thing was a wish that couldn't materialize, then Jacknife Lee might be the best person to bring along who wouldn't mind taking a break for a few months so u2 can go play the tour dates.

and I called fanfire today about my music rising shirt and the recording at the start asked to press 1 for 'u2 ticket presale' press 2 to speak to a cust rep.

U2Man said:
Well, all I have to say is: Get Jacknife Lee out of that studio. Everything he touches turns to shit.
I agree!

Kill it with fire, Larry! Get the revolver from the drawer under the old desk in the corner of the room, and hide it, Larry!

Just wait for the right time.

Sounds great, I'd say we have a new album or EP before the Vertigo tour restarts. Everything is pointed on september in the news.

The timing just seems odd for a full-length album, with the tour to disrupt everything. I'm very curious to see what the band is up to.

The last time a tour disrupted recording of an album was the Conspiracy of Hope Tour....and you all know what we got after that...:hyper:

This is very exciting news. Even if you're not a fan of Lee, we now know for sure that they're working hard towards a new album. :drool:

I don't think it will be new stuff for a greatest hits. I think we're looking at an entirely new album in early '07.

U2Man said:

How do you know what his production sounds like? He was just an additional producer for most tracks. His only true producer credit was for A Man and a Woman. I know there are mixed feelings about that track but I don't think people complain about the production of that song. I would say it is better produced than many other songs on the album or at least less overproduced.

This greatest hits thing just can't be true. I don't see why the band would be flooding the market so darn heavily. With a GH album, an autobiography, a dvd release, and the tour re-starting, PLUS more ONE work from Bono...they're just begging for the average person to get sick of them. What happened to playing McGonagles so sparsely that your fans were left wanting more? :scratch:

bsp77 said:

How do you know what his production sounds like? He was just an additional producer for most tracks. His only true producer credit was for A Man and a Woman. I know there are mixed feelings about that track but I don't think people complain about the production of that song. I would say it is better produced than many other songs on the album or at least less overproduced.

:up:
Yeah, Jacknife Lee didn't have such a relevant role in the album, he mostly joint after the first phase of production. And I think he did a good job with that "Fast Cars" remix (it sounds different, gives an even more freshier vision of the song). the guys seem to trust in him and enjoy to work with him, I guess...

Back
Top Bottom