I've noticed something interesting about this album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Not one of the tracks fades out. Every track has a perfectly defined ending. I like this alot in songs.

Once I heard a theory that good songs have a defined ending. Maybe it's true eh?

Yeah, I like it. Except for COBL. At the end the song it gets quieter as each instrument kinda checks out. I'd love to hear it wind down to almost a finish, then just kick back in again, go up another notch and then fade out With Or Without You style.... but that's just me.

Last edited:
i noticed that too. I dunno if I agree about it being necessarily a positive feature. I think that in a very general vague sort of way it's a positive feature, but no more than that.

Musicians generally view the fade as a cop out. I know, I've actually fought with my former band about it. Having a propper ending for a song sorta show more skill, that you actually wrote an ending. U2 have skill.

Ah, but With or Without You and WTSHNN had fade outs, to only name a couple. They're still great songs! Are you saying U2 'copped out' on these numbers?

-Miggy

where the streets have no name most certainly does NOT fade out...unless you are referring to the inferior single version

Fade-outs can be genius when used for the correct song..ie WOWY, but I agree that they can be used as cop-outs when a band cannot write a complete ending for a song.

Sleep Over Jack said:
Fade-outs can be genius when used for the correct song..ie WOWY

I disagree. I prefer the live versions of WOWY in which they play the ENTIRE song and don't fade out while Edge is just strumming the chords (or whatever, sorry, I'm not a musician). I'm thinking the R&H version, if anyone knows what I mean.

But anyway, that's not the point.....I too enjoy the way the songs END. :up:

Personally, I'm glad the live end of "with or without you," especially the coda/extra verse, is NOT on the album version. It's one of those things that make it so special live. I am, however, really conflicted on whether the coda belongs on the studio version of "One"

For me, a good song lets you think about and feel what the author of the song is trying to say and then lets you draw your own conclusion, come up with your own ending for your own life.:wink:

At least that's what every GREAT U2 song has done for me - let me live out its truth in my own life.

And I think that's one of the main reasons why their songs are so GRAND.

So I think U2's songs are BEAUTIFUL JUST THE WAY THEY ARE. :hug:

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

For the fade out U2 songs that are ended live, haven't you all notice that Mullen ends all of them with the exact same drum roll? Talk about being one-dimensional.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
For the fade out U2 songs that are ended live, haven't you all notice that Mullen ends all of them with the exact same drum roll? Talk about being one-dimensional.

Cheers,

J

Your becoming a bit of an over-the-top cliche of your former self.

I've noticed it too... I actually like it, I can't really say why... I generally like songs with a "proper" ending. ;) Plus, it really suits the mood of HTDAAB somehow.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

actually he has two.

watch any of the live concert videos especially ZooTv and you'll hear them. So he's really TWO dimensional.

I think they have their place. Without the fadeout on WOWY, the song seems to lose some of its power. As much as I love the extra verse in performances of WOWY, the song loses some of its beauty or timelessness that's present in the studio recording. The fadeout is what gives it such an epic quality - it's more than just a song. That fadeout on WOWY is just perfection.

Then there's always the other side of the boat - imagine One with a fadeout. :ohmy:

Sleep Over Jack said:
Fade-outs can be genius when used for the correct song..ie WOWY, but I agree that they can be used as cop-outs when a band cannot write a complete ending for a song.
I agree. I like it when bands will take advantage of studio magic, especially when it's most appropriate. I think it's also cool when they take it on the road and add new verses/solos to fill in the parts that fade out.

Back
Top Bottom