I've heard some of the album!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for sharing, Jim. My visceral energy is piqued (not sure if those words are in the correct context). I'm just so excited about the new songs. November can't come soon enough!!! I mean, "I Will Follow meets Zooropa". Aiyyyyeee:drool:

What would you compare Bono's screaming in the vocals like? Like his opera' like screaming during 'the hands that built american' performance?

Full Metal Jacket turned into Native Son..."as reported by ignorland".....so don't worry people......it could still be alive!

the weekend :applaud:
Dublin :applaud:
U2!
new music inside the studio!
Jim and a bunch of U2 fans:applaud!
mix all these things together :hyper:
thanks for telling us how good it sounds and how well they seem
....giving birth to an elephant.......:lmao:

slainte Jim ( for when you have recovered from Dublin and feel like another :D..). Thanks for sharing your story.
I have a feeling we are in for something really really special with this one. A culmination, the time is right :heart:
I hope there is a song called Native Son.
Edge's mum :up: for letting 'em use the shed to play in all those years ago. She'll be proud when she hears him play on this one:up:
I don't want to rush November, but I am looking forward to the album.

'All Because of You' - great, metallic silver guitar, a nice melody, a catchy chorus. Sounds like Bruce Springsteen (with Bono's voice) fronting Neil Young. Came to me in a dream, as they say... :up:

I've been thinking how it would look if U2 worked with AB's team again (Eno/Lanois, Lillywhite and Flood) - but this is close enough.

It looks like it will sound closer to 90's U2. With so many names mentioned so far I hope it's good!

Convoy said:
What would you compare Bono's screaming in the vocals like? Like his opera' like screaming during 'the hands that built american' performance?

nonono faster and happier. Groovier (?!) maybe wailing was the wrong word :)

No idea how many track are on the album, and Michael I like your description 'metallic siver guitar'. That fits with what I heard.

I'm glad that so many of you like my vague desciptions - now I guess we just need to wait till November.

Thanks,
Jim

Ok, I'd rather give birth to an elephant than wait till November...

Well I guess sometime by late August/early September we'll have some samples.

So long as it sounds like 'A Day Without Me' live rather than the Album version.

War and Peace or Else, I love that title. I just can't imagine what the lyrics to that song are gonna be like. Hopeuflly awesome.

Do you remember some of the other song titles that were rejected? How about "Jahweh"? I was always interested about that God song.
And about Full Metal Jacket turning into Native Son - Bono mentioned Native Son in february 2003. And then, just a couple of days later, in a MusiCares interview, he mentions two songs - "Lead Me in the Way I Should Go" and AGAIN, Full Metal Jacket. After he mentioned Native Son. Maybe they are not the same...

Jim you rock! Thanks for sharing this. I won't try to read too much into it because U2 is always full of surprises but I'm just happy they're at work and the AB references don't hurt.

And here's a return from a visit to m-w.com just because this is my fave word:

Main Entry: vis?cer?al
Pronunciation: 'vi-s&-r&l, 'vis-r&l
Function: adjective
1 : felt in or as if in the viscera : DEEP <visceral conviction>
2 : not intellectual : INSTINCTIVE, UNREASONING <visceral drives>
3 : dealing with crude or elemental emotions : EARTHY <a visceral novel>
4 : of, relating to, or located on or among the viscera : SPLANCHNIC
- vis?cer?al?ly /-r&-lE/ adverb

:drool:

jim, didn't you make any pictures of this "close encouter of the 3rd kind"?
And yes, Flood is definitly in there. I met Bono in may and he also said to us : Flood is in here. (i can't remember anything, but i have it on dvd:wink: )

Talking about pictures, seems like the "photograph" for the French U2 website U2 Achtung went in the HQ studio, as well, and had a chat with Bono, on June 9. He apparently had a chance to hear 4 songs of the new album. Bono told him the album will be completed in few weeks.

Check out, the news (in French) and the photos: u2achtung DOT com

Great stuff.

Cheers,
-Cyril

"It discussed longer than last week with Bono. During the discussion, he said himself that the album was going to include/understand 4 or 5 songs of quite hard rock'n'roll and the remainder in the traditional style of U2. The recordings will be finished in a few weeks."

Man, I have to stop logging onto this site, I'm getting too excited about the new album. Thanks a lot for all the info, Jim! I think a couple years ago when all the Bono and Edge quotes started about the new album, this is the sound I was looking for. Perfect, I was hoping for some "I will Follows" on this CD.

About the last quote, its pretty cool if 5 tracks are really rocking, you know u2 will have 11 tracks MAX on their album, so thats a good mix. Have you checked out the pictures from u2actung.com from the studio?? I like that graffiti that says "More Work, Less Holidays."

Did you all get this in your inbox this morning? Either The Sunday Mirror's been reading Interference, or we know who Jim is now.

Copyright 2004 MGN Ltd. ?
Sunday Mirror
June 13, 2004, Sunday

HEADLINE: BONO'S AT A LOSS OVER NEW ALBUM

BYLINE: EDDIE FITZMAURICE

BONO has admitted he doesn't have a clue what to call U2's
long-awaited new album.

The singer says the band is already thinking seriously about going
back on the road for the first time in almost three years.

But with the disc due for release in October or November this year,
they were still agonising over fine details, such as the name and even
what tracks to feature.

"I still don't know if it (the album) is a boy, or a girl, or an
elephant, which is always a difficult birth," Bono said.

Latest reports claim the album will include Tough, _ a tribute to
Bono's late father, Bob Hewson, althoughFull Metal Jacket, which Bono
has described as the "mother of all rock tunes," is rumoured to have
gotten the chop.

There is also reportedly no room for American Prayer, a song written
in praise of the US with lyrics from the American Constitution.

Bono added: "We're thinking a lot about taking these songs on the
road, which is where we really find out what the tunes are about."

U2 is said to be kicking-off a world tour in Miami in March, 2005.

I am in a bit of shock here...

I have nothing to do with this newspaper. That information came from a discussion that I had, unless he has said exactly the same as somebody else??

But I doubt that he said exactly the same to somebody else....perhaps the elephant comment but not all the rest. It's too much of a coincidence.

Is this the Sunday Mirror in the UK or Ireland??

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about this. My insticts are that these were my words/report for this forum only and I am extremely pissed off that they have been quoted in this way. The point about U2 not having a name for the album has been taken totally out of context ('agonising over fine details'?!!). The quotes are the same as mine though. Unless one of the other people that was with me have blabbed this, but the odd thing is that from a 25-20 minute conversation, the quotes used are the same as mine and they have only ever been posted here on interference.

There were other things that we discussed and I'm so glad now that I didn't cover them here as they were about things other than the album, and which I would have been even more furious about seeing reproduced in this way.

I'm sure that HelloAngel will re-itterate my sentiments about how this is reported from out private discussions. As soon as you relay things from a conversation and define them as 'news' they become something else which is why I was cautious about doing that. I just wanted to share my comments with fans..maybe I should have just kept this to myself.

Jim

maybe I'm overreacting....it's all just a bit too spooky for my liking.

Back
Top Bottom