I've been on a 'Bad' kick for the past week...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
The Wide Awake In America version is amazing, it speaks to me.

I'm also liking the Washington 1992 performance, the beginning of it is great when Edge strums before launching into the song.

I like Bad, particularly versions where there are snippets, like Norwegian Wood in them. My question is also, what is the best MUSICALLY, version of Bad? Not so much vocal or emotion, but the music is just right on par.

I think the ones from the Vertigo Tour are great, especially the Vegas and Toronto versions.

the versions from the JT/LoveTown Tours were the best in my opinion. a full 8-12 minutes long with Snippets and the "Wide Awake/Am Not Slleping" parts.

They are all musically brilliant, so more is better. Therefore, the version is from New Jersey in 1985 is the best, because it is over 16 minutes long.

POP versions are good because musically they're different from every other tour in which the song appeared. They retooled it a bit. I wish they'd do that again.

Screwtape2 said:
The version of Bad on Rattle & Hum is the best. :wink:

That performence is quite weak in Bonos voice performence, the best vocal performence on that song must be 1986-06-15 :

http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=3509C734000029C4

this one is very good 2005-12-04, he hit a high C in Wide Awake, and this is from last year :)

http://www.you send it.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=38D401703EE0B2A8

YBORCITYOBL said:
the versions from the JT/LoveTown Tours were the best in my opinion. a full 8-12 minutes long with Snippets and the "Wide Awake/Am Not Slleping" parts.

In the LT versions he ha alot of problems hitting Wide Awake, so the LT versions was quite weak I think

Best versions from what iv heard:-

Live Aid
Kiel 1992-this version is known as "norwegion wood" self explanitory why
dublin 1992-amazing-with "the first time" snippet
Glendale 2005-amazing
and erm, Live Aid again lol

Bad is good

Nice topic. I hadn't paid much attention to 'Bad' for years and I also got into it recently. It's just stunning to hear the passion Bono emotes in each performance in 1984 to 1987--- and it is a "performance"; he doesn't feel that passionate every night but he clearly willed himself to engage the song as much as possible.

I really think when they were flying live with 'Bad' in 84-87 they reached their apogee of the very thing that makes "U2". In that way, it's their definitive song. It obviously only works with a very special vocalist and some elasticity on the band's part. To try to imagine one of the recent white rock bands, from Oasis to Coldplay, trying to perform a track that requires the emotional commitment of 'Bad', is too horrible to even contemplate.

If I ever heard any of the "new" bands covering Bad I think I'd throw up in my mouth...I mean, Coldplay??? Ugh, that would be ugly.

Back
Top Bottom