itunes concert question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudeman

Refugee
not sure if this is in the correct forum...
anyway, if this itunes concert thingie turns out to be true, do you think they'll be making available absolutely everything from a given show - i mean including the snippets of other people's songs that they like to throw into their own songs. i think those bits were edited out of the boston dvd (where was 'in my life' and the snippets of 'wild horses' they had been performing in 'bad' at shows immediatly around this show?). i'd imagine that including these bits would be a publishing/copyright nightmare (requiring payouts to the authors), and i think that's why they weren't included in the officially released versions.
anyway, these little bits make a huge part of the experience for me, and i'd like to think that we'd be getting the ENTIRE show, not the record company's version of it. that's why i never listen to the boston dvd rip when i want an elevation tour fix - it's been sterilized, there's no warts or real personality to the show itself. so if the shows for sale thing happens, do you think we'll get it all, or will they chop out all the non-u2 penned material. i think i'm being a bit of a tool here, but i am what i am.
just wondering what you guys thought.
:huh:

Last edited:
didnt they show Bono singing Bob Marley on the Boston DVD??

i have no idea on the itunes thing - i doubt it will happy fully personally. its a logistical nightmare to put every single concert on itunes surely. maybe a select few, and probably steralised too

It did, but "People Get Ready" was cut out. So was "One"; not sure why...

Unless I'm forgetting something, the only full concert that has ever been released is the Slane DVD, and that has MW as an odd bonus track. :slant:

Or was something cut from the Slane show, I can't find my boot. :mad:

No songs were cut, if anything some talk might be cut, as in the Mexico City release and that "firefly" laser-pointer business.

good point - i totally forgot about that bob marley bit.
still, i'm thinking the shows would be cropped in places, and personally i'd rather they weren't.
like i said, i'm a tool.

CTU2fan said:

One and Pride were cut from Boston, probably so people would buy the Slane DVD, which has both those songs on it.

brejc said:

One and Pride were cut from Boston, probably so people would buy the Slane DVD, which has both those songs on it.

That wouldn't be the motivation for cutting One and Pride, as the release of Slane was about two years after Boston.

CTU2fan said:
"People, Get Ready" was swapped for "Stay" from the other Boston show, probably because it was more representative of a typical Elevation setlist.

I remember reading that "One," "Pride," and whatever other songs were cut out (didn't they also play "Mysterious Ways" before "Stuck"?) were cut out as a compromise between quality and length. I would've taken the complete show for a probably unnoticeable drop in quality (or even if they had to split it up over two DVDs), but whatever.

(Edit: Yes, they did play "Mysterious Ways." I wish they left the "In My Life" snippet in too.)

Last edited:
I hope they do release every show on iTunes, even if some gets "legalized". I like a variety of different shows from the same tour, but I get turned off by crappy quality boots.

On Ciity of Blinding Lights, they cut it off U2 jammed when they showed it on MTV. It is also cut off from iTunes, Under the Brooklyn Bridge show.

dudeman said:
i'd imagine that including these bits would be a publishing/copyright nightmare (requiring payouts to the authors), and i think that's why they weren't included in the officially released versions.:

This is a pretty good point actually, I'd have to look it up, but wasn't a song/s left off of eithert the zoo tv or popmart official releases because of either something they'd sung, or something that was appearing behind them on the screen at the time.

mysticchild said:
On Ciity of Blinding Lights, they cut it off U2 jammed when they showed it on MTV. It is also cut off from iTunes, Under the Brooklyn Bridge show.

ummmm city of blinding lights wasn't played at all on the MTV Jammed. 4 songs were played (same 4 as released on iTunes), and three of them were severly edited for time.

the full setlist was
1. vertigo
2. all because of you
3. miracle drug
4. sometimes you can't make it on your own
5. city of blinding lights
6. original of the species
7. she's a mystery to me
8. beautiful day
9. i will follow
10. out of control
11. vertigo

also... on the Mexico City PopMart release, any the snippit of west side story's "america" was cut out of bullet the blue sky to avoid paying royalties. the same was done for "send in the clowns" durring under a blood red sky's electric co. cut to avoid paying royalties.

that's exactly the type of shit i'm talking about. i'd hate to have part of the show clipped out 'cos bono was getting liberal with the references. one of my favorite things about bootlegs is getting the WHOLE show.

CTU2fan said:
No songs were cut, if anything some talk might be cut, as in the Mexico City release and that "firefly" laser-pointer business.

That laser pointer thing was totally insane. . . makes me think of the Seinfeld where everybody thinks the laserpointer guy is SO funny at the expense of George's 'Boy, that's gotta hurt" line.

Can you imagine thinking it's funny to shine something in his eye during a concert. . . absurd. Thankfully those things have gone the way of the Macarena. . . :)

Re: Re: itunes concert question

Ellay said:

wasn't a song/s left off of eithert the zoo tv or popmart official releases because of either something they'd sung, or something that was appearing behind them on the screen at the time.

Trying to Throw was cut from Sydney due to space on the VHS. They also trimmed audience interaction to improve the flow between songs.

As far as Boston, I gathered from an interview with the DVD producer at the time that it was a bitrate issue. They had too little space for the whole show, considering they had to put the "Making Of" on there as well. And they cut "People Get Ready" cause they plucked someone out of the crowd to play (or maybe they don't have re-broadcast rights to the song).

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: itunes concert question

nathan1977 said:

Trying to Throw was cut from Sydney due to space on the VHS. They also trimmed audience interaction to improve the flow between songs.

As far as Boston, I gathered from an interview with the DVD producer at the time that it was a bitrate issue. They had too little space for the whole show, considering they had to put the "Making Of" on there as well. And they cut "People Get Ready" cause they plucked someone out of the crowd to play (or maybe they don't have re-broadcast rights to the song).

I heard that in Sydney they had to cut TTTYAATW because the girl Bono brough on stage was a minor and was drinking.

For the Boston DVD, they cut People Get Ready and put "Stay" from the next night in it's place--which in my mind was the right thing to do because "Stay" is much more representative of the acoustic set of the Elevation Tour than the random performance of "People Get Ready." They also cut "Mysterious Ways," "Pride," and "One," all of which are awesome performances (I have the bootleg from that night). They also cut a snippet of the Beatles "In My Life" off of Stuck. I don't buy the whole "can't fit it on one disk" thing. They fit the making of on it, and look at the slane DVD- Full concert with a documentary on it.

Back
Top Bottom