It's that time again folks...HTDAAB taking on water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ponkine said:

What for my friend ? They´re disgracing the legendary status they achieved by putting out this same All That You Can´t Leave Behind cocktail :tsk:
Sounds more like the JT/UF than ATYCLB

Come on boys, don´t you see this album is getting their worst ever rating ? just go to www.amazon.com if you don´t believe me !!!. If this album were as good as you say, it would get great reviews, but fans are feeling ripped- off.

Yeah I always base quality on what the masses reccomend. You really showed him.

NOBODY feel ripped-off with such albums like Joshua Tree, UF, War, Achtung Baby, even Zooropa or Pop are better for most of fans. ( despite many of you hate both albums they have better rating than this overexposed "bomb"... why ?. )
:tsk:

U2 at their worst has always been better than 95% of what else is out at the time. If there is a better album out I haven't heard it. Can you elighten us?

Finally the truth comes out mates and we have to accept it.

Ah truth - My truth says this album sells 7 million copies (minimum) amidst AMAZON's negative reviews. Some loser with way too much time on his hands says it sux at AMAZON. FUCK - we've been bamboozled!!!!

LOVE IS BLINDNESS, I DON´T WANT TO SEE....
( U2 - 1991 )

LAY DOWN...LAY DOWN YOUR GUNS
(U2 - 2004)

LOVE & PEACE...........OR ELSE :p

:tsk:

Ellay said:
- Boy - Too early
- October - Too Eighties
- War - Too Vitriolic
- The Unforgettable Fire - Not a proper rock album
- The Joshua Tree - Too American
- Rattle and Hum - Too bombastic
- Achtung Baby - Too experimental
- Zooropa - Not a standalone album
- Original Soundtracks No. 1 - WTF
- Pop - Unfinished (and Gay)
- All That You Can't Leave Behind - Too Weak
- How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - Too unoriginal

Pop-unfinished(and gay) - FUNNY AS FUCK,I really enjoyed that one,thanks Ellay:wink:There's nowt as funny as the 'Gay' one liner!!

I think the songs on HTDAAB will sound great in concert. They are not radio songs or top 40 songs.

Let's face it, U2 hasn't really had a hit song since One. Pop was a bomb, although I love that album. Zooropa is a good album too. ATYCLB is really good. It's got some heartfelt songs like Kite, Peace on Earth and When I look at the World.

But again, they are not top 40 songs. This is what bothers me about U2. I loved them when JT, R&H and AB came out. They were always on the radio. But since then, the new songs don't get airplay. Maybe it's a case where the older you get, the less popular you become. Which makes me think: When will U2 call it quits?

Some fans don´t understand me. :(

jojoline: you say they´ve sold 7 million copies worlwide, the truth is they´ve sold 3 millions.

Neverthless I don´t think album sales means quality at all :no:

remember Britney´s "Baby One More Time" ? it sold more copies than Achtung Baby :ohmy:

Just take a look at the IMPORTANT things, I mean, not Bono´s glasses, not silly crappy iPod videos, not marketing nor album sales.

The most important thing for any band is: FANS OPINION, that´s clear. And fans opinion is clear: They feel ripped off by this overhyped album. Have you wonder why this album is getting their worst ratings ever ? :confused: WHY ? it´s clear this album isn´t a bomb, at least from fans outside this glasshouse. If this album would have been worthy, reviews would have been far better. MUSIC must be the most important thing, not propaganda nor marketing, neither iPod, etc, etc. And the music with this HTDAAB is just a trademarked failure delivery. Sad but True :sad:

I don´t know what´s going on, really. Most of Metallica´s fans, Sting´s fans, Oasis fans, Phil Collins fans, etc, etc can admit without no problem their artist are going downhill and their recent albums are just crap. But yet many U2 fans still don´t want to see what other bands fans are seeing it clearly: U2 are going downhill :ohmy:

Don´t get me wrong, I love U2 :heart: that´s the reason I can´t stand the fact they´re focused just in propaganda, iPod, pay per view www.u2.com, instead of being musicians. I can write far better songs. I don´t have enough money, I don´t have dark glasses and clothes... but I have something they don´t have anymore: Honesty, hard work and the truth. Just remember all those awful lies they said by the time this album was released, trying to increase it sales, shameful.

:(

Last edited:
ponkine said:

jojoline: you say they´ve sold 7 million copies worlwide, the truth is they´ve sold 3 millions.

remember Britney´s "Baby One More Time" ? it sold more copies than Achtung Baby :ohmy:

Just take a look at the IMPORTANT things, I mean, not Bono´s glasses, not silly crappy iPod videos, not marketing nor album sales.

The most important thing for any band is: FANS OPINION, that´s clear. And fans opinion is clear: They feel ripped off by this overhyped album. Have you wonder why this album is getting their worst ratings ever ? :confused: WHY ? it´s clear this album isn´t a bomb, at least from fans outside this glasshouse. If this album would have been worthy, reviews would have been far better. MUSIC must be the most important thing, not propaganda nor marketing, neither iPod, etc, etc. And the music with this HTDAAB is just a trademarked failure delivery. Sad but True :sad:

I don´t know what´s going on, really. Most of Metallica´s fans, Sting´s fans, Oasis fans, Phil Collins fans, etc, etc can admit without no problem their artist are going downhill and their recent albums are just crap. But yet many U2 fans still don´t want to see what other bands fans are seeing it clearly: U2 are going downhill :ohmy:

Don´t get me wrong, I love U2 :heart: that´s the reason I can´t stand the fact they´re focused just in propaganda, iPod, pay per view www.u2.com, instead of being musicians. I can write far better songs. I don´t have enough money, I don´t have dark glasses and clothes... but I have something they don´t have anymore: Honesty, hard work and the truth. Just remember all those awful lies they said by the time this album was released, trying to increase it sales, shameful.

Uncle Leo?

ponkine said:

I really can't be bothered with you, because deep down, I feel you are just a wind-up merchant, nothing more nothing less, however:

"They´ve sold 3 millions" - No they haven't, they've sold 5.7 million so far.

"And fans opinion is clear: They feel ripped off by this overhyped album." - No they don't. The vast majority of fans love this album.

"Have you wonder why this album is getting their worst ratings ever ?" - Yet again no it hasn't, it was in most critics top ten in fact.

"I can write far better songs. " - Nuff said....

And last but not least:

"Don´t get me wrong, I love U2" - No you don't, you love 90's U2, which doesn't actually represent U2's music as a whole.

You are the joker in the pack...

Last edited:
TwoAmericas said:
I think the songs on HTDAAB will sound great in concert. They are not radio songs or top 40 songs.

Let's face it, U2 hasn't really had a hit song since One. Pop was a bomb, although I love that album. Zooropa is a good album too. ATYCLB is really good. It's got some heartfelt songs like Kite, Peace on Earth and When I look at the World.

But again, they are not top 40 songs. This is what bothers me about U2. I loved them when JT, R&H and AB came out. They were always on the radio. But since then, the new songs don't get airplay. Maybe it's a case where the older you get, the less popular you become. Which makes me think: When will U2 call it quits?

Mysterious ways was a top 10 song in US, as was Discotheque.

Beautiful day was massive in terms of airplay/MTV rotation - that makes a song a hit and is more relevant than reaching the no.1 spot IMO, which is something I think Vertigo failed to do.

Here, ATYCLB singles were played a lot on the radio, except Walk on.

This album is even more filled with top 40 singles candidates than ATYCLB. Of course it will get harder as U2 get older, but I think we can safely expect them to be around till they're 50 at least.

to be honest, theres songs on every U2 cd that i dont like, and HTDAAB is no exception. but, theres songs on every U2 cd that I love as well. i think even the HTDAAB haters would be lying if they said theres no songs they enjoy listening to off the new album. :up:

ponkine said:

Finally the truth comes out mates and we have to accept it.

LOVE IS BLINDNESS, I DON´T WANT TO SEE....
( U2 - 1991 )

Your opinion is not "the truth", and that's about enough. These posts are starting to border on trolling. I would suggest going back and reading Sicy and I's recent replies to you here, as well as the FAQ here.
http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=5#30

U2girl said:

Mysterious ways was a top 10 song in US, as was Discotheque.

Beautiful day was massive in terms of airplay/MTV rotation - that makes a song a hit and is more relevant than reaching the no.1 spot IMO, which is something I think Vertigo failed to do.

Here, ATYCLB singles were played a lot on the radio, except Walk on.

This album is even more filled with top 40 singles candidates than ATYCLB. Of course it will get harder as U2 get older, but I think we can safely expect them to be around till they're 50 at least.

Not to mention that their albums sell shitloads as well....

If U2 wrote an album with songs that match the depth and value of "Bad", "One", "With or Without You", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "Pride", "Sometimes...", "Stay...", "Gone", "All I Want is You", and "Desire" the naysayer line would be just as long as it is very nearly every other album U2 have made.

Outside of the Rolling Stones (I am not a Beatles fan), no group has produced a catalogue of music this good for this length of time.

ok so its 50/50! half of you like htdaab and half dont...

but i dont think this album will be that great live... just watch zootv now thats the shit!!!

and whats up with all the stolen cd,ipod ads and so on?

i think u2 need a kick in their arss, they have no compition thus their album are not so good... when jt came out and even AB , there were alot or great rock bands at that time making kick arss music so u2 had to make music that was the best..

now there are no great rock bands (well maby two or three) so no matter what u2 puts out we will buy it and call it a masterpiece. so i hope oasis kicks u2s arss this year and maby their next album will be worth it!

remember when u2 wrote SBS now what are they singing about ya one step closer to knowing zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.:wink:

My opinion of HTDAAB has gone up slightly but I still don't really like it. It had a short shelf life where I enjoyed listening to it.

ATYCLB I still love and listened to for a year straight.

Maybe I've changed.

It's funny how people in this threat dog ATYCLB but in many magazines and reports, ATYCLB is now considered a U2 classic and pivotal album. But not the U2 fans.

Zoocoustic said:
Then there are the group of fans who just APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT U2 EVEN BOTHERS TO RELEASE A NEW RECORD 25 YEARS INTO THEIR CAREERS.

Me? I say THANK YOU U2 FOR CONTINUING TO STICK TOGETHER AND MAKE MUSIC.

End of story.

This post ended this thread - as far as I am concerned anyways...

Thanks!

goat

I'm sure if this forum existed in 1987 or 1991, people would've been saying the same things about JT and AB. It's impossible to not compare to past albums.

We must remember that we've had nearly 18 years (!) to digest JT. Yes, it is a classic. It's not one of my personal favorite U2 albums, but there's no denying how strong of an album it is. We've also had over 13 years (!) to enjoy AB. Again, it too is a classic. With that much time, the songs on JT and AB have made a home in our hearts and heads - we can't imagine life without those songs; they have helped define who we are.

Poor HTDAAB hasn't even had 2 months (!!!!) since its release. The fact that we are comparing it to JT and AB is actually a tremendous compliment to HTDAAB.

People may dislike ATYCLB, but it was time for U2 to shift again. Just like we saw signs of U2 changing on R&H, we saw that on "Pop". Had U2 continued their experimentation this decade, they wouldn't have succeeded at all. Instead, "Beautiful Day" is now a song that's becoming part of our world.

HTDAAB needs time. There is so much that might happen in 2005 that it's impossible to hate/love this album yet.

However, for the moment, I do enjoy HTDAAB far more than ATYCLB - and I really liked ATYCLB.

shaun vox said:
ok so its 50/50! half of you like htdaab and half dont...

but i dont think this album will be that great live... just watch zootv now thats the shit!!!

and whats up with all the stolen cd,ipod ads and so on?

i think u2 need a kick in their arss, they have no compition thus their album are not so good... when jt came out and even AB , there were alot or great rock bands at that time making kick arss music so u2 had to make music that was the best..

now there are no great rock bands (well maby two or three) so no matter what u2 puts out we will buy it and call it a masterpiece. so i hope oasis kicks u2s arss this year and maby their next album will be worth it!

remember when u2 wrote SBS now what are they singing about ya one step closer to knowing zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.:wink:

I agree I think, Oasis' album better be a belter so U2 get back on the warpath........ HTDAAB is good and solid although it hasn't got any magic so a boot up the arse is welcome:wink:

shaun vox said:

Maybe one day U2 can be as relevant, original and great as Oasis

RAAAWK ON....

roy said:

Maybe one day U2 can be as relevant, original and great as Oasis

RAAAWK ON....

Come on man don't be sarcastic, if any band rises to U2's size or any band/ artist capable of a major critical and commercial sucess in U2's genre it could propel them to come up with another masterwork

I'm a huge Oasis fan, but I consider them to have been on a big decline since Whats The Story... I really don't think they can knock out a brilliant album like Atomic Bomb right now, but who knows..

ZeroDude said:

Come on man don't be sarcastic, if any band rises to U2's size or any band/ artist capable of a major critical and commercial sucess in U2's genre it could propel them to come up with another masterwork

I disagree completely. What bands were around in 1987 and 1991 which threatened U2 (and by that I mean non-Heavy Mental & Grunge)?

If anything U2 should feel more threatened now than ever, especially with bands like Coldplay and The Killers actually competing for the same audience/genre...

Last edited:
to me i dont care for reading reviews or threads about "oh i dont like the new album bla bla bla" i love it, thats all that counts... why do i wanna read about people that "HATE" it, if people could come up with an "original" critisim then maybe i would read, but the fact is they cant, they keep blabing on about the same things

U2 = 4 40+yo men who can still kick the crap out of the younger bands, enough said

KUEFC09U2 said:
to me i dont care for reading reviews or threads about "oh i dont like the new album bla bla bla" i love it, thats all that counts... why do i wanna read about people that "HATE" it, if people could come up with an "original" critisim then maybe i would read, but the fact is they cant, they keep blabing on about the same things

U2 = 4 40+yo men who can still kick the crap out of the younger bands, enough said

w0rd to your face.

Last edited:
U2 made a great record with this record from front to back amazing quality as far as im concerned so thats all that matters and the songs sound really excellent live as I am sure you will hear from anybody that was at the MTV Jammed performance. People can complain all they want but in the end there is a lot more people that love the new album then that dont. If you dont want to listen to U2 anymore be my guest and do me a favour and dont get tickets to the tour when it happens so that people that truely apprciate the new material and want to hear it on tour will get to.

As far as sales go this album will have surpased the 6 million mark world wide after this week of sales according to the global music chart which doesnt even cover everything, people like ponkine would love to lead people to believe that the U2 record is failing it is not and even if it didnt sell another copy would have sold as much as POP did in total.

Back
Top Bottom