It's official, Pharrell & Bono work together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jinn77

The Fly
Pharrell fielded a question by the Dandy Warhols in "The Face" magasine and it went a little something like this.....
Q- Do you ever do Bono-style charity work?

A- I am working with Bono on a record for Mandela right now. Bono is amazing, he's got such a good heart. He really gives a fuck about the world.

It was a great inteview on the whole. I guess he must have had some production duties on 476664 or whtever it was called(no disrespect, i know it was Mandella's cell number) can't wait to hear the results, a Neptunes/N.E.R.D produced U2 single would be nice too.

The guy who did "Light Ya Ass on Fire" with Busta Rhymes and "Beautiful" with Snoop Dogg (who is in Halifax Thursday night :up: )

Anyone who's worked with Justin Timberlake should be shot.

is bono fucking up u2 or what.

im sick of this shit!

stick with u2 and just make a rock&roll album and songs.

no more pop, rab or what ever songs!

first he hangs out with politicians now this shit.

beyonce was not enough BONO:mad:

It's just a natural progression for Bono. U2 have proven that they reside outside the time vacuum when it comes to music and relevance. Their ability to stay mainstream after all these years is tribute to their ability to study market trends and form their music to suit these public needs.

When Sting and Boy George were the big thing, Bono did Band Aid. When Dylan was hip, Bono joined him onstage and sang with him (not to mention butcher Dylan's lyrics). When grunge started to materialize, U2 were quick enough to get Pearl Jam as their opening act for Zoo TV. When Prodigy, Beck, and the Chemical Brothers were all the rave in the mid 90's, U2 did the techno-inspired POP album. When boyband and manufactured music was the rave, Bono wasted little time in getting all these acts together for the "What's Going On" charity work.

So Sting has gone all yoga and r&b on us, Boy George is nowhere to be found, Dylan has morphed from "living legend" to "leaving legend", Pearl Jam have alienated themselves to nothingness, and techno-driven Chemical Brothers, Prodigy and the like have driven themselves back into that underground hole they came from. Yet through it all, U2 has managed to stay mainstream longer than any other musical act in history. Every new single or album they release up to this day still gets airplay in top 40 radio and MTV - sadly, the same can not be said of the Stones or REM or Radiohead. It is only U2.

So working with Pharell is just part of Bono's growth as a musician. It is part of his keeping U2 in the limelight. Bono only works with the current hip crowd - not with the "has-beens" of the music world. No wonder there is talk of him doing a collaboration with J.Lo. If I were Bono, the next project should be a collaboration with Avril Lavigne produced by The Matrix. That idea can't be that far-fetched. U2 always finds ways and means to remain hip with the music buying crowd.

Cheers,

J

i wouldn't want a single release produced by pharrell... but i would welcome any sort of remix he might do. i always thought a remix of elevation or new york would have been really good with a touch of the neptunes magic.

they remixed sympathy for the devil... and i thought that sounded pretty damn good... sure it's not the original, but it made the tune sound fresh and new 30 years after release. i say bring it on

Back
Top Bottom