It's early days but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Has Vertigo got the potential to be your favourite ever u2 song?

Or could we just be in a bit of a daze after hearing some exciting new material for the first time in ages?

Do you think it is possible, for those who are crazy about the song at the moment, for you to get sick of Vertigo?

I reckon it's a brillaint masterpiece and I can't see myself gettin sick of it, but you never know....for me, it's no gloria....but i hope this song has a real durability, and i have a feeling it will.

It's a song for any kind of mood i reckon, its electric and exciting, it soars, this is a potential u2 classic.....

But will we get sick of it and it'll just become "another u2 song", not that that is necessarily a bad thing?

Just wondering if we are on a kind of honeymoon at a place called Vertigo and it could be over sometime.....

i hope Vertigo isn't a honeymoon though.....and it really is a u2 classic which we will never tire of hearing...

I hope you're right -- that it is a U2 classic. I've been fooled before by the rush of something new that didn't really hold up later.

I can't stand to do the same things over and over, yet I keep listening to it. Maybe that says something about the song's long term potential.

Hm.. I don't know...
I think Beautiful Day will stay the test of time a little better than Vertigo. Of course, both songs are great, but I just think there is more diversity (if that's what I wanted to say...:huh: ) in BD than Vertigo. (I really miss some great solo from The Edge there...)

i reckon we're only hearing a shortened radio edit, i bet we're going to see a different mix on the single and maybe even a longer album version...maybe not, but i definitely believe the single version is going to be different...i have a feeling...btw..Vertigo is much better than Beautiful Day....i still believe that BD is a weak u2 song...no edge to it (no pun intended)...i just thought BD sounded like a band covering a u2 song...to light and poppy for my liking...Vertigo is much more like it...it's getting better each time i listen to it

I'm really loving Vertigo more each time I listen _ think the LP version and how the song sounds live will really make a difference - this little sucker begs to be played live and flushed out.
Beautiful Day is an excellent song but it never made me dance around and play the song a levels that I know are harmful for my eardrums - I have done this with Vertigo more times than I care to admit:hyper:
I'm also a sucker for the bass guitar in this song

Vertigo isn't going to be classic U2.

It's the kid of song you get sick of it very fast.

I'll quote this guy, i think just like him:

Khoa Tran, @U2 News

This might be blasphemous to some, but I'm not entirely crazy about "Vertigo." I really, really, really tried to love it, but only ended up liking it somewhat. There's definitely a sense of energy and fun here, but it fails to connect.

I've heard people liken it to Boy and October, but I find it hard to agree. The songs of Boy and October were recorded when the band could not afford a heck of a lot of time or money to make an entire record. The sense of raw energy and urgency in the songs were at least in part (and most likely a large part) due to the urgency and raw energy of being a band of 19-20 year olds who had only two weeks in which to make an album, and whose lead singer had just managed to lose all of his lyrics. In contrast, "Vertigo" sounds like a band of seasoned veterans sounding raw and energetic, but sounding like they took their time to carefully make the song sound raw and energetic. It sounds good, don't get me wrong, but it falls a bit short of being inspiring. The early U2 didn't decide to be a punk band so much as they decided to pick up some instruments and do whatever they could. "Vertigo" sounds somewhat like the band is going back to try to recapture a certain feeling. Of course, it's never quite the same the second time around.

I think its an excellent track, but the point of it is to be a fun rocker, not to have the deepest lyrics or be very meaningful. It's just a in-your-face track that smashes u2 out of the gates with this new release. So will it stand the test of time like B-Day? I dont know, maybe even it won't. But that doesnt mean its not a brilliant tune. I love it, and I definetly see it going a long way.

It's way too early to say at this point. Every new U2 song strikes me as awkward the first time I hear it. It's only after a while before i can form a lasting opinion, but even then that can and does change. Unfortunately the spanish clip kind of ruined the surprise of the new song, i already knew it was going to be rocking. When i first heard the spanish clip i definitely thought "wow, is this U2?" After four years of waiting, you really have to let the dust settle before you can say you truly like it or dislike it. To me it would mean a lot more for the new album to be a classic than this song. That being said, I like the song a lot and it's a great start for the new album!

I think it's the type of song U2 needed right now, something fresh, energetic, and unique sounding that still reaks of U2!!!

I LOVE it!!!!

Something noticable, when u hear this on the radio, it's hard to ignore, even for U2 fans, i think! Plus, it gets better with each liusten, and i find it, addicting, the more you listen, the more you want to listen!!!

It's also back to the rock and roll sound of actung and boy, with the sound of the guitar coming from achtung and the energy from boy!! It also sounds effortless and like they're having a blast playing it! I know Bono just loves singing it, you can tell, and it's honest, just the boys rocking out, putting into the song whatever feels right!

rock on!!!!!!! VERTIGO!!!!!!!!

Back when BD first aired I remember a lot more negative reactions on this site than the negative reactions that Vertigo has been getting now (like next to none!). By "a lot" I don't mean a huge amount, but I will say that there were quite a few posters that felt that BD would never make a lasting impression in U2's catalogue of songs. It is so obvious now that BD is "classic coke U2."

I think Vertigo has fantastic potential to become "classic coke U2" based on our overwhelming positive vibe we have on this site for this song.

It's a great track, and a wonderful merger between the many faces of u2 we know and love, and a selection of great rock bands of the '70's.

So, if the riffs comes off as though Edge borrowed Billy Corgan's or David Grohl's (foo fighter) guitar gear, and Bono appropriated the "yeah yeah yeah's" from Curt Cobain, we can still love the track for representing a fresh take on a well known sound with the inclusion of what makes u2 sound like u2.

I, for one, love the new sound, but then I also loved Nirvana. So, the parallel between two is not so severe. Since I have never had an absolute favourite u2 song (just certain tracks I love a little more or less than the others) this single is a part of that group by default, lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom