It Would Have Been Better If... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2003, 07:56 AM   #31
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
the "somebody cry" part couldn't have been used on the studio version of electric co., 'cause as we all know... ... the guitar part used in that live intro is the guitar intro from the studio version of "is that all." although some of us would have wanted always and beautiful day on atyclb, so perhaps having 2 songs with the same guitar parts doesn't bother some of us
Ah yes, but what came first, The Electric Co. or Is That All? We all know that it's the former. Now I've never heard any recordings earlier than 13-12-81, so can anyone tell me: before October, did U2 play the "somebody cry" part of The Electric Co. or was that only added after Is That All was made?

Y'know, it wasn't until a couple of days ago that I actually realised the "somebody cry" part and Is That All shared the same guitar ...

Old 01-01-2004, 08:04 AM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 10:36 PM
The "somebody cry" song is an extract from another U2 song called Cry . It was decided that the two would follow on from each other for every live performance since about 1980-1981. But when Electric Co. was RECORDED, the merge hadn't been made.

Old 01-01-2004, 07:58 PM   #33
Vocal parasite

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of performances of The Electric Co. are labelled 'The Cry/The Electric Co.' but never The Cry by itself. Are there any recordings existing of it performed as a stand-alone song?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-02-2004, 03:03 AM   #34
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:36 AM
It wouldve been better if u2 put the fly, lemon and walk on and please on the 90-2000 best of rather than gone, the first time and stuck in a moment
Old 01-02-2004, 06:09 AM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

...the band had less complaining fans
Old 01-02-2004, 08:57 AM   #36
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
It wouldve been better if u2 put the fly, lemon and walk on and please on the 90-2000 best of rather than gone, the first time and stuck in a moment
I would agree with Lemon instead of Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, and The First Time shouldn't have been on there. However, Gone is one of their best tracks and both it and The Fly should've been there (and were on some editions). Walk On wasn't released until 2001 as a single, so I'm thinking it'll appear on the Best Of 2000-2010.
Old 01-03-2004, 02:10 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I would agree with Lemon instead of Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, and The First Time shouldn't have been on there. However, Gone is one of their best tracks and both it and The Fly should've been there (and were on some editions). Walk On wasn't released until 2001 as a single, so I'm thinking it'll appear on the Best Of 2000-2010.

fair call about walk on, but it just seems illogical for 2 best ofs from different eras to feature songs off the one album....after all, walk on was written before before 2001...and we first heard it pre-2001.....
Old 01-04-2004, 03:41 PM   #38
War Child

Local Time: 11:36 PM
- if HMTMKMKM was added to the Zooropa album and performed by Mr. Macphisto during the Zooropa tour.
- if the elevation tour was longer with fewer US shows and more European and rotw shows.
- if lady with the spinning head was played during the popmart tour.
- if the Boston live version of Bullet the blue sky was released as a single during the Iraq crisis earlier 2003 and the profits going to a charity goal.
- if they played mofo, hmtmkmkm, god part II, heartland, twilight, another time another place, your blue room, hawkmoon 269, gloria, acrobat, ultraviolet and dirty day during the elevation tour
Old 01-06-2004, 07:08 PM   #39
War Child

-lemon and the fly on ½The best of½
-seconds,zooropa-singles,
-lady with the spinning head,acrobat,NUMB,god part2 live during the next tour
-concert in croatia
-Mr.MacPhisto's resurrection
-the playboy mansion video
Old 01-06-2004, 08:18 PM   #40
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

the "somebody cry" part couldn't have been used on the studio version of electric co., 'cause as we all know... ... the guitar part used in that live intro is the guitar intro from the studio version of "is that all." although some of us would have wanted always and beautiful day on atyclb, so perhaps having 2 songs with the same guitar parts doesn't bother some of us
If I recall correctly they already did reuse a guitar line. Is That All uses the guita line from an early U2 song called Cry, which is the song snippet which is inserted at the beginning of Electric co. It's been a while since I read about that so I have no idea if that's accurate or not.

I wouln't touch any of the albums save for ATYCLB. Stuck definitely should be in accoustic form as the album version sounds too glssy and poppy. Elevation, while not exactly a brilliant song is so much better in the Tomb Raider mix that its a mystery why they used the version on the album (though the album mix does fit a bit better with teh feel of ATYCLB - as that feel is one I find lacking well I wouldn't miss it). Wild Honey should have been a B-side, slot Summer Rain in its place. Finally, while the message of Grace is very nice and again it fits the album, it is just awkward sounding and I'd drop it in favour of TGBHF and maybe slide Stateless in there somewhere.

Oh and I'd drop "In the days when new media was the big idea" from Kite. I hate that line, it is awkward as hell and severely dates the song.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:26 AM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 05:36 AM
IT WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER IF...

...U2 finished POP.

...Bono was not an alcoholic/chain-smoker - his voice would still have been much better now.

...Adam didn't get caught in that drug bust back in `89.

...Adam did not miss that Australian gig.

...Gloria made the 80-90 Best Of.

...Fly made the 90-00 Best Of.

...there was a second European leg to the Elevation Tour.

...U2 played Raleigh, NC back in 1997 instead of using a lame excuse not to play because only few tickets were sold.

...U2 released Popmart Mexico, Zoo Sydney, UABRS, and Best of 1980-1990 on DVD.

...Mysterious Ways was not excluded from the main Slane show in the DVD.

The list can go on and on, but I just decided to stop and keep it up to here.

Cheers,

J
Old 01-11-2004, 04:15 PM   #42
War Child

If Pop sold more copies....

No uuuuuuuuuuuu PLEASE BUY ATYCLB!! UUUU ELEVATION!!

No Stuck In A Moment

No Superbowl

No 3 Best Of ( yes, the contract signed in 1998 was for 3 Best Of and 50 million$ )

No Lettermans, Leno's and the rest of things they have resisted for most of their career

etc

Vox
Old 01-11-2004, 05:00 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

...if The Unforgettable Fire had opened with The Three Sunrises

...October had been in the Top Five Best U2 Albums on Zootopia a couple of months ago...

...[i]Acrobat was played at least ONCE on the ZOO TV tour, and the video footage used on the Best of 1990-2000 DVD

...U2 released the FULL Red Rocks on DVD with LOADS of extras

...U2 released an album instead of bragging about how amazing it is
Old 01-14-2004, 04:14 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:36 PM
stuck in a moment...does...um...suck?