It was 20 years ago today....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BostonAnne

Refugee
Ok - today's my 20 year anniversary of my discovery of U2! I first saw them on TV when they played at the US Festival in California. Bono fascinated me with his antics and I was hooked. I bought all of their albums (Boy-War & Under A Blood Red Sky) and caught up on them. Then I joined the already building fan base in anticipating their next album (Unforgettable Fire) & tour in 1984. My first concert was December 2, 1984.
Thank you U2 for being there for so long ? and than you to you fans for getting together and sharing this wonderful U2 world!

I put together a webpage to share what I saw. It's made from screen captures of VCD and the quality isn't so great, but I didn't find any photos of the event already on the web.

http://home.attbi.com/~cimon254/19830530/

Also, you can download the mp3 with a commentary to play while viewing the pics!

Electric Co.

:)

:yes:
20 years ago i was a 2 week old baby.....
you are very lucky for experiencing so much over the years from U2...makes me kinda jealous! :)

This is the one year anniversary since I bought my computer.

(the only reason I know that is because I had to renew my subscription to my antivirus update program)

Sorry, that had nothing to do with U2, I just wanted to share.

Coming up fairly soon will be the 10 year anniversary of me becoming a U2 fan. (Zooropa was the first U2 album I ever bought)

Twenty Years ago I was a Sophmore in High School. I liked the band but I was not yet a massive fan until 1986. I am coming up on 20 years now myself.

Dreadsox, in about 6 weeks - it'll be half my life!] (I turn 40 in July)

You are right though, the way time flies - we'll blink and It'll be 2006! Scary..

20 years ago? Still 3 months before I was born! Isn't it great that you can say you've been a U2 fan for that long and people know what you're talking about? Most bands don't enjoy that status!

2005 will be my 10 year anniversary of U2-ness ~ I got hooked on Miss Sarajevo :D

Last edited:
Yep, there are lots of 20th anniversary's this year from the WAR era. I have the US Festival on Video as well as a Festival played in Germany in August. There is also a 20th anniversary for a show played near Denver in a few days!

20 years ago I was 6, and not only did I have no clue who U2 was, I had no interest in music....

If I only knew what lie ahead....

I hadn't had a cd stereo in my until recently. Yesterday morning I got into the car with my daughter to take her to daycare and head to work. Turned on the car and the stereo started BLASTING a U2 cd I had in it and I rushed to turn it down (just a little). I turned and looked at my daughter, said "Wow, didn't realise that was so loud. " She said "That's ok, I know how to cover my ears if I need to"
"Why didn't you tell me it was so loud yesterday?"
She looked at me with a "What, are you NUTS?" kind of look and said "But mom, I LIKE it like that" Gotta love those kids.
I've been a fan for 20 years as well, and both my daughters, ages 9 and almost 14, were weaned on U2. It's fantastic that parents can share such great current music with their kids. That's a rare occurence.

STING2 said:
Yep, there are lots of 20th anniversary's this year from the WAR era. I have the US Festival on Video as well as a Festival played in Germany in August. There is also a 20th anniversary for a show played near Denver in a few days!

I also have the US Festival on DVD. It's really awesome! :yes:

tiny dancer,

Where did you get the US festival on DVD? Is it good quality?

Yep, 20 year anniversary for me too! Saw New Years Day video on TV at the tender age of 17! After that got myself up to date with what they had out then! Think its time for a U2 tattoo as they have been in my life longer then a woman has! lol

what a bomb! said:
Yep, 20 year anniversary for me too! Saw New Years Day video on TV at the tender age of 17! After that got myself up to date with what they had out then! Think its time for a U2 tattoo as they have been in my life longer then a woman has! lol

:D Happy Anniversary what a bomb!

Back
Top Bottom