It Might Only Be March But Have U2 Already Seized 2002?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanisheyes

Forum Moderator, The Goal Is Soul
Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, and Berlin
This particular part of the article in Q magazine is what got my attention. Enjoy!

Chris

Plans to redevelop the band's Hanover Quay studios will be demolished, although they recently spent enough time there to demo eight new songs.

"There's no sense of accomplishment," explained Larry Mullen, "but there's a
sense that this is really amazing, and its only the beginning."

March, 2002, issue of Q magazine
It's Bono's World...We just live in it.
It might only be March but have U2 already seized
2002?

Last month saw a busy Bono dashing between meetings with Kofi Annan, Archbishop Desmond Tutu and Bill Gates at the world Economic Forum in New York, where he pushed the case for fighting Africa's AIDS epidemic and
crippling debt.

"When a politician meets me, it's really our audience that he's afraid of," the singer explained. "I would like to see us be the salt in the process."

The following week U2 provided half-time entertainment for the 800 million
TV viewers tuning into last month's Super Bowl. The performance included
Beautiful Day, Where The Streets Have No Name and a giant scrolling backdrop
that bore the name of the victims of the 11 September terrorist attacks.

Further praise for Bono's work, or rather his "political and philanthropic
contributions to improving living conditions in developing countries," came
from R.E.M. and No Doubt at Love Rocks, a Valentine's Day tribute concert
held in the singer's honour in Hollywood.

This year's Grammy nominations confirmed U2's current omnipotence, with the
band trousering eight nominations - extavagant garnish for a band who famously launched their most recent album by, according to Bono, "reappling for the job of the biggest band in the world". Their previous high-water mark, 1987's Joshua Tree, has now sold 17m copies worldwide, yet All That You Can't Leave Behind has
already passed 10m sales since its release in 2000. What's more, last year's
Elevation Tour, which deliberately opted for smaller arenas, has generated $109.7m, making it the second most successful tour of all time - $12m shy of the Rolling Stones
1994 stadium tour.

"Of all the bands who've emerged over the last 20 years, U2 are probably the
only ones to have success comparable to the generation before, the likes of
the Stones or The Beatles," suggests Paul Williams, news editor of industry
bible Music Week. "Certainly they're the only band who've sustained success
on that level."

With rumors of a homecoming show in Dublin this summer, seemingly the only
thing currently beyond U2's control is the city's council. Plans to redevelop the band's Hanover Quay studios will be demolished, although they recently spent enough time there to demo eight new songs.

"There's no sense of accomplishment," explained Larry Mullen, "but there's a
sense that this is really amazing, and its only the beginning."

Q March 2002

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 02-26-2002).]

I can see all the anticipation, all the anxiety coming back again when I read something like those lines Chris highlighted. Lets dream...it's sooooo good. And vital.

Originally posted by U2LA:
Yay!!! This goes well with my theory of the new album being out by Summer. I think the lingering popularity for ATYCLB will work FOR releasing a new album in the summer, not against. ATYCLB will slip out of the Hot 100 Album Chart around May and then boom in June or July, you'll hear the ads.."hot on the heels of their Grammy winning album ATYCLB is a new album of brand new music by the biggest band in the world...U2 NEW ALBUM TITLE. In Stores June, 00, 2002...

I can totally see it....

Now if only that damned Q website would come up so I could add that article to U2News!!!

Hmm.. I think it MIGHT be a Zooropa type thing, sort of like you said. I really hope they release a new album by at least early next year.
biggrin.gif
I haven't had the new album experience yet, argh.

BTW, off-topic question - who else besides you work on U2News?
smile.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

YESSSSSS thats awesome news. I can't wait to hear these songs. I'm really crossing my fingers for a new album soon, they just seem so busy, ya know? Superbowl, Grammys, WEF, Jubilee (DATA), Appearences, etc..

If anyone can do it, it's U2
smile.gif

band6.jpg

It's cookin..

Woo hoo!

I remember reading (and posting) about them being in Hanover and finishing the first new songs, but 8 songs started...is way more than i ever thought.
smile.gif

I too think the new album could be out this year. Can't wait to hear what's next from U2!

------------------
- be uncool, yes be awkward

Well, with eight demos done at Quay, all the stuff they already did that didnt make ATYCLB and the months of March, April, and May to record, produce, and mix, I think a Summer release is VERY possible. They themselves have said many times how much stuff they already have done for the new album. But I realize you just dont want to get your hopes up SKeek!
wink.gif

Originally posted by elevatedmole:

BTW, off-topic question - who else besides you work on U2News?
smile.gif

I dont know! I know other people do. And the verdict on the Q Magazine article is it has no link!! Q does not post their articles online, they make you have to BUY the magazine! Fancy that...

EIGHT new songs? That is fantastic! Thanks for posting the article.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Yay!!! This goes well with my theory of the new album being out by Summer. I think the lingering popularity for ATYCLB will work FOR releasing a new album in the summer, not against. ATYCLB will slip out of the Hot 100 Album Chart around May and then boom in June or July, you'll hear the ads.."hot on the heels of their Grammy winning album ATYCLB is a new album of brand new music by the biggest band in the world...U2 NEW ALBUM TITLE. In Stores June, 00, 2002...

I can totally see it....

Now if only that damned Q website would come up so I could add that article to U2News!!!

I think you need to not get TOO excited over this, spending enough time in the studio to demo 8 new songs doesn't mean they actually did, and furthermore they're likely just very early versions of the songs that will likely get scrapped in time. Like how many songs did they say they wrote for ATYCLB? I don't know an exact number but it was really really high. I mean it's obviously really exciting that they're working on new material, but I'm still not so sure it'll be coming out as early as this summer. It might though, so hoo hah!

Back
Top Bottom