It Doesn't Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Matthew_Page2000 said:

p.s.- A lot of the new songs remind me of old mellow shite like Still Haven't Found, Unforgettable Fire, Bad and One. Is anyone else as angry about this as I am??

I think this makes an interesting point. People complain with every new album that it isn't "rocking'" enough. But yet they fail to remember that most of the classic U2 songs , the ones that have survived the ages, are NOT hard rockers at all.

This is U2's Barry Manilow album.

*disclaimer* The above statement is intended to be sarcastic in nature. Any person/persons who take the afore mentioned statement seriously will find themselves overwhelmed with anger. Possible harm to self and others may occur. The poster (drivemytrabant) assumes no reasonability for such actions.

leik ogm u2is so GAYLOL!!111111// y cant they play reel rawk liek nikilbak adn creed??//fjb thatz REEL rawk u2 iz gay!!!!1111//

Man, I think I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading and replying to this thread.

...no wait, I was also listening to Love and Peace or Else and now City of Blinding Lights!! they're pretty rockin songs :D

AtomicBono said:
leik ogm u2is so GAYLOL!!111111// y cant they play reel rawk liek nikilbak adn creed??//fjb thatz REEL rawk u2 iz gay!!!!1111//

Man, I think I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading and replying to this thread.
:D

How do you think I feel? I started the thread. :huh:

Obviously the thread was started with sarcasm in mind, but I really feel that that sarcasm can be used to look at this album in an important/vital way.

First of all, I do like the album--I like it quite a bit, actually! I think that it is a great album (for U2 or anyone else), but nowhere near classic; maybe time will change my perception, but I don't know yet.

I don't feel let down that the album doesn't ROCK ROCK ROCK hard enough--as MANY people have very astutely pointed out, U2 never really was a straight-up ROCK ROCK ROCK band. Unless he was shrieking the words during a Zoo TV show, that sort of...style, I guess...never did play into U2's sound.

I don't think that U2 has to record some sort of silly Metallica-esque album in order to not be pussies or whatever some people might think. But I do feel sorta' scammed, as others have, by Bono's goofy-talk during production. He always does this kind of stuff (Lou Reed once sang, "Her bellybutton was her mouth/Which meant she tasted what she said," and I think he should've sang something to let people know that Bono's ass is his mouth, apparently--a LOT of bullshit comes outta' there and sometimes it's hard to swallow), but it is still sort of crappy.

I've posted similar sentiments elsewhere a few times, and I think that they're valid. The fact is this: we were sort of promised something different, and we didn't get it. If the album consisted of 10-12 insanely heavy rock numbers, I would prefer it to this polished, very listenable, super-tuneful, but PREDICTABLE AT EVERY TURN album; even if those insane rock numbers weren't quite as great as this album, I would dig on the band's balls to record such an album, you know? It would NOT suck (cuz this is U2, and even the last album had its moments), and I'd rather hear an interesting, minor failure than a boring-as-fuck success at a rehash. If the album were all ballads and really slow numbers, I would prefer that to what we got, as well: it would show that the band is still willing to challenge themselves.

Was it tough in the studio with Chris Thomas? I'm sure it was, but remember that they were REALLY doubting their direction when they were in Hansa, back in the day. Great things often come from great struggles....even, perhaps, great failures.

So, yeah...I really do enjoy the album very much. But I'm still disappointed with how by-the-numbers it all feels. I knew these songs before I ever even heard (of) them, you know? That disappoints me, rawk or no rawk.

Matthew_Page2000 said:

It's crap like other mellow albums such as Dark Side of the Moon...
I'm going to have to go back to listening to my Poison and Motley Crew records. Now those guys know how to make a RAWKIN' album.

just leave. don't post here anymore. leave. LEAVE NOW!

DSOTM doesn't rock?! Poison and Motley Crew are better than U2 and Pink Floyd?

Are you mentally stable?

Re: Re: It Doesn't Rock

discothequeLP said:

just leave. don't post here anymore. leave. LEAVE NOW!

DSOTM doesn't rock?! Poison and Motley Crew are better than U2 and Pink Floyd?

Are you mentally stable?

Dude, I don't mean to sound obnoxious or anything, but it's clear that you replied to his SARCASTIC post (as did many other people) before reading later posts or thinking about the stupidity of the statements. I think it's the funniest thing written in these forums for a long time.

SEE the humour :lol:

WHYWHY.

Seriously people. READ. Yes, READ. As in, past the first post in the thread. Keep reading. Before jumping to a conclusion and bashing the guy, READ. THE. THREAD.

This announcement brought to you by the Bureau for Better Thread Comprehension and the Committee for Understanding Sarcastic Posts.

Diemen said:
Seriously people. READ. Yes, READ. As in, past the first post in the thread. Keep reading. Before jumping to a conclusion and bashing the guy, READ. THE. THREAD.

This announcement brought to you by the Bureau for Better Thread Comprehension and the Committee for Understanding Sarcastic Posts.

You seem to be the one with the biggest problem of understanding sarcasm. All of my comments from before were the most extreme example of sarcasm but it went 3 miles above your head. Yeah, you are so intelligent, you obviously need to sit back and learn from the masters!!!

if your past posts were sarcasm then you obviously don't know how far to go, as wishing someone would die along the same lines as Michael Hutchence and calling them ugly dumb shits is just plain wrong unless you clearly state in the post that you're joking.

shaun vox said:
actuall i think HTDAAB is u2 first hard rock album!!!!!

WHAT'S THIS!! Shaun Vox diggin' the new record?!!!! what a shocker!!! Or is this sarcasm!

Back
Top Bottom