Is Vertigo the most "hard rock" tune U2 have ever done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
I'm talking studio, not live performances.

That said, I think it is. I think contenders would be Exit, HMTMKMKM, Gone, Elevation, and a few others, but I don't see anything being as full-blown "rock" sounding as Vertigo, at least, not that U2 have done in the studio.

One of the toughtest, definitely - next to Bullet, Exit, Desire, God part II and The fly.

The Fly and HMTMKMKM wipe the floor with Vertigo. And I'd say Like A Song is pretty damn powerful too.

In studio probably Elevation compares, The Fly, Hold Me Thrill Me, thats about it.

Axver said:
The Fly and HMTMKMKM wipe the floor with Vertigo. And I'd say Like A Song is pretty damn powerful too.

I disagree.

The fly is one of their best, but Vertigo throws HMTMKMKM and Like a song out the window and jumps on them.

;)

I am an old metal head, still listen to metal and punk here and there, but not as much as when I was 18 or so. Grew out of it, I guess.

my top 5 U2 big rockers
-Exit
-God Part II
-The Fly (especially live)
-Mofo (yes, Mofo)
-Bullet

there are a bunch worth noting after that, many have already been mentioned also Sunday Bloody Sunday, Acrobat, I would put Vertigo in this bunch, so probably top 6 or 8, not #1 on my list.

I think the 'hardness' of this song is very deceptive. It's sort of a punk/pop song to me using power chords, I like it and all, but there is a dire theme to some of those other songs.

Plus Bono seems way too happy to really make this a hard song for an old metal head :)

Bullet is one of the hardest songs ever imo by anyone so it's a given than Vertigo ain't up there, Exit, HMTKMKM is there, the Fly is something else altogether, Acrobat is up there due to the pissed offness and Edge's guitar coming from a place I don't want to go:wink:

We all know that U2's hardest song is actually 4th Of July. :wink:

I actually think ABOY rocks more than Vertigo, mainly because of Bono's primal scream and Edge's solo.

Vertigo is a great punk/pop song in the vein of some modern American acts but with more depth and The Edge playing guitar:wink: that is all folks atleast in my opinion

actually, in my opinion, vertigo has more a pop song structure, besides there's neither a solo! really rock tunes where the earlier songs, in my opinion u2 have finished to do rock songs after achtung baby, now they do just "U2 songs", songs of their own style. right about now, if you'd ask me if u2 is a rock band i would answer: "u2 is a u2 band" and that's what makes them great, they're continuing to do wonderful songs without belonging to this or that genre.

ponkine said:
a yeah yeah yeah yeah song can´t be their hardest one ever !!!:censored: :down: :tsk: :banghead:

Musically its as hard as anything they've recorded....and plenty of punk or punk pop bands have flippant lyrics! ever listened to The Ramones???

:tsk: :banghead:

Pero said:
The Fly vs. Vertigo: Fly wins!!!!!Vertigo licks fly's shoes

From your previous posts I'm guessing this question will be hard for you, but do your best...

The question is "why Vertigo licks fly's shoes?"

technically, yes. Vertigo is the hardest rocking "studio" song that U2 has ever made. HMTMKMKM and The Fly come somewhat close, but Vertigo is obviously harder rocking.

Vertigo is only hardrocking musically because it has been so overproduced.
The Fly is rawer. The production is better on it, and the song itself is more unique - there's more intricacy and effort in it.

we're not talking about how unique the song is, we're talking about how hard the song is. Vertigo is harder rocking than The Fly.

mikal said:
technically, yes. Vertigo is the hardest rocking "studio" song that U2 has ever made. HMTMKMKM and The Fly come somewhat close, but Vertigo is obviously harder rocking.

So true

Last edited:
beau2ifulday said:
Vertigo is only hardrocking musically because it has been so overproduced.
The Fly is rawer. The production is better on it, and the song itself is more unique - there's more intricacy and effort in it.

I hear what your saying man. I can hear people saying there is no way The Fly is rawer than Vertigo. To them I say "more intricacy and effort"...Vertigo clearly lacks both.

Last edited:
mikal said:
we're not talking about how unique the song is, we're talking about how hard the song is. Vertigo is harder rocking than The Fly.

I know, but I take things like that into consideration with songs :shrug:
I don't think Vertigo is particularly hard rocking anyway. I know it's down to preference, but i'd put four or five songs above it, two of which are mentioned above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom