Is "Vertigo" THAT bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachel D.

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Today in art class, "Vertigo" was on the radio, and the first thing anyone said was, "I frickin' HATE this song." Then this other kid said, "I like it, but I don't like the band." And to top it all off, the teacher muttered, "Yuck! I can't stand this song!" Some of my friends don't like it, either. Is it really THAT bad of a song? Do most "normal" people find it completely repulsive? Are we crazy or are they crazy?

I, personally, don't think it's that bad. It's a good, upbeat, catchy song, but it's not as good as some of the other songs on the album. It may very well be annoying people out of their minds.

What are your thoughts?

I still love it after listening to it over 300 times. Its funny because i'll skip if for alittle while and then play it again and wounder why i would skip it. :lol:

My aunt, who happens to think U2 reached the pinnacle of their career with Rattle & Hum, hates Vertigo.

My mom, who was all set to go with me to the opener in Miami, didn't like it at first, but loves it now.

Me, I loved it from day one. I skip it often now when I listen to HTDAAB, but that's only because I heard it for so long before the album came out that I got kind of sick of it. But I still love the song. :)

it's nothing special, but it's certainly not that bad either. it certainly kicks the shit out of elevation, which was a bad song to begin with.

i think everyone is happy the rest of the album doesn't sound like it.

Yeah rele, many songs nowadays get like that, I'm in Orlando, and they played the Matchbox 20 song "Unwell" on a seriously hard rotation everyday because they were from here. It's a good song IMO, but after the 400th time, not so much...

My little 8 yr old sister loved it as soon as I played it! She made me play it 3 times.

It's a great song. I still like it, but not as much as the first time I heard it... just don't tell that to my little sister.

I still think it rocks out - it came on random while I was on the treadmill today and I kicked it into high gear. I went through a little period where I got over it, but now I'm feeling it again...

I think that you have to appreciate it for what it is. It's certainly no "Running to Stand Still" or "Bad", but more of an "Elevation" or "Discotheque" song. So, take it for what it's worth and enjoy.

I wonder if people might be sick of it hearing it all the time because of the iPod ad. Does that ad still get shown on TV a lot? I watch so little TV these days that I wouldn't know.

Anyway, I still love the song.

Last edited:
I've noticed that most people tend to like it, but those who do not tend to be rather vocal in voicing their disdain.

Its a great song and it is probably my fav. on the album but it really has gotten over played on the radio. The technician who works for me loves the rest of the album but hates Vertigo because she hears it so often.s

it is a very good u2 song.......

but when you look at it as a first single....it pales in comparison to the The Fly, with or without you and Beautiful Day......

can't see why anyone would hate the song though........

Vertigo is an amazing song, but like some have said, it has suffered from being constantly overplayed.

Most people like the song, I mean it is nominated for grammys, spent several weeks at no. 1 on the rock charts, got constant airplay, and was just named "best song" on the rolling stone readers poll. Someone out there is listening and loving Vertigo.

Rachel D. said:
Today in art class, "Vertigo" was on the radio, and the first thing anyone said was, "I frickin' HATE this song." Then this other kid said, "I like it, but I don't like the band." And to top it all off, the teacher muttered, "Yuck! I can't stand this song!" Some of my friends don't like it, either. Is it really THAT bad of a song? Do most "normal" people find it completely repulsive? Are we crazy or are they crazy?

I, personally, don't think it's that bad. It's a good, upbeat, catchy song, but it's not as good as some of the other songs on the album. It may very well be annoying people out of their minds.

What are your thoughts?

Does it realy matter what others think about the song?
'Vertigo' was the most downloadable song in 2004... what more do you want?

Listen, i wasn't big fan of u2 before this album, yes i had all the albums.
But Vertigo separated me by half. Now left half goes to school on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and right side goes on Tuesday and Thursday.

No, really i was shocked in a good way, now when i see it on mtv or vh1 it's like a holiday in my house

I think this is really quite the normal reaction to U2 for people in Jr High and High School I know it was when I was there in the Achtung Baby, Zooropa, POP days. This really hasnt changed any...U2 is an aquired taste of which some people wont ever understand so I wouldnt sweat it too much.

I have heard U2 sucks hundreds of times no matter what song it is so I dont think it has anything to do with Vertigo.

U2 are not emo. U2 are over 40. U2 do not sing about how their girlfriends have left them for their best friend and how they want to die as a result.
Therefore, alot of teenagers will hate them. Sad but true.

beau2ifulday said:
U2 are not emo. U2 are over 40. U2 do not sing about how their girlfriends have left them for their best friend and how they want to die as a result.

great thought. it isn't always the coolest thing to love the biggest band in the world, the only supergroup left. And add to that it's not always hip for young people to love a rock band thats been around for 25 years and are in their mid-40s.

My aunt from Vegas flew in a month back and she asked me what my favorite band is and I said "u2." She responded by saying, "ahh....their old." And I simply said "is that a reason to stop loving their music? It's still great" And I'm 24, so the high school crowd might sometimes get it worse.

Last edited:
Vertigo is an brilliant piece of work
That Riff is amazing, lyrics are great, vocals are fantastic and the beat is so cool!

I just hope it gets played a lot over the years. It keeps getting better and better

Its just Punk Rock made on Venus!
What a tune....really great

Been a fan since the mid 80's and can tell ya: HTDAAB Is a Masterpiece

U2005

beau2ifulday said:
Well said, U2 is a little too mature for a generation who wants to hear whining punk, glam rap, and bubble gum pop singers. As far as Vertigo, I don't think it beats out most of their older work, although in my own opinion, it's better than Desire or Sunday Bloody Sunday. Better than most of the All That You Can't Leave Behind material, but How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is so much better. I hope that Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own will be on the radio very quickly here, it's definately one of the best U2 songs in ages, in fact (okay, in opinion is a little more like it) ever.

im 19 and before vertigo came out i got quite a lot of friendly abuse from my friends about U2 being my favourite band (mainly because they are quite bigotted about music and only like very latest bands and after a while if a band becomes big then they wont like that band anymore).

So i couldnt help but smile when Vertigo started getting played on the radio and most of them painfully admitted that it was actually quite good!

although it has now suffered from being overplayed which (and this applies to most big songs) generally means people get annoyed by it after a while......but i still think its great!

yeah, most people who aren't fans have told me they like it. Like many songs though, I think a lot of people grow tired of it b/c it has been played so much on the radio, tv, etc.

I really like it; it's catchy, fun to sing to, and I can't wait to dance around to it live!!!!!!! :wink:

I had to work on Thanksgiving and we had the football game on. And they kept on playing the ipod commercial over and over and people at work kept on saying how annoying it was.

I think the ipod commercial was cool in the beginning, but they really overplayed it and now people think the song sucks and it's annoying.

To me, it's a good song, but not a great song. It's like Discoteque and Elevation. It's great at first, but then it gets annoying.

U2 has been getting called "over the hill" for 15 years now yet they keep picking up new fans with each release of an album which I think is excellent.

EMO is nothing more then the grunge of this era, and will soon fade to be a fad of the past then we will go back into the "pop" fad with groups like Spice Girls and guess what U2 will still be around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom