Is U2's next album their farewell?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hallucination

Refugee
I'm just wondering if anyone else gets the feeling this next album will be U2's last? Listening to the "beach clips" I totally get a "farewell" kind of vibe from them. I hope not but tat's the feeling I get when listening to these songs.

Yep, it'll be their last, just like The Joshua Tree, Rattle And Hum, Achtung Baby, Zooropa, Pop, ATYCLB, ande HTDAAB were their last albums at some point in time. :wink:

exactly, the u2 tower in dublin would indicate otherwise. The top 2 floors of what will be the tallest building in ireland are being used as U2's new recording studios. The tower wont be ready for at least another 3 years. Sounds like a band with a longer-term plan to me.

:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:
What does a "farewell" vibe sound like?

Play the beach clip 402 backwards and you'll faintly hear Bono in falsetto going 'Goodbye world, we have found what we were looking for...'

Zootlesque said:

Play the beach clip 402 backwards and you'll faintly hear Bono in falsetto going 'Goodbye world, we have found what we were looking for...'

this is not the da vinci code.

LOL made me laugh that

Hallucination said:
I'm just wondering if anyone else gets the feeling this next album will be U2's last? Listening to the "beach clips" I totally get a "farewell" kind of vibe from them. I hope not but tat's the feeling I get when listening to these songs.

NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C'mon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUH!

i'm sorry...but that was one of the funniest things i've read all day...are we actually decoding U2 now??? hahaha...that was great...in that case yes everyone Paul really is dead!

Here's a quote from U2 By U2. It's actually the final quote in the book, and of course, Bono gets the last word:

"I'm waking up every day now trying to imagine what we can do next.

It is such an extraordinary thing, music. It seems to be how we communicate on another level. If you believe that we contain within our skin and bones a spirit that might last longer than your time breathing in and out, music is the thing that wakes it up. It certainly woke mine up. I wasn't looking for grace, but luckily grace was looking for me.

I used to think that one day I'd be able to resolve the different drives I have in different directions, the tension between the different peple that I am. Now I realize that is who I am, and I'm more content to be discontent. But I do feel I'm getting closer to the song I hear in my head. I mean that on every level. And when that distance between the song we hear in our heads and the one that comes out on the radio gets closer, I think this band's going to get much bigger. I actually don't think U2 is in any kind of mood to go quietly. If we get our songs right, I think we could really be very popular."

:lol: That last line totally cracks me up!

Re: Re: Is U2's next album their farewell?

fredstab said:

Well pardon me for expressing the feeling and vibe I get from the clips. Too bad we aren't all as smart and in the know as you:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Zootlesque Play the beach clip 402 backwards and you'll faintly hear Bono in falsetto going 'Goodbye world, we have found what we were looking for...'

that made me laugh:laugh:

If anything, I thought that Original Of The Species and Yahweh had an extremely "farewell-ish" vibe about them, more so than anything else they've done....

Unless something sudden and unexpected happens out of the blue, U2 will release a new album. The sheer fact that Rubin is in the picture confirms this.

The burning query hangs over U2's two-album-rule. The old, "if we release 2 crap albums consecutively, we're finished" rule.

Does U2 define HTDAAB as a comparatively crap and mediocre effort? If so, this next album might well be their last.

intedomine said:
If anything, I thought that Original Of The Species and Yahweh had an extremely "farewell-ish" vibe about them, more so than anything else they've done....

Unless something sudden and unexpected happens out of the blue, U2 will release a new album. The sheer fact that Rubin is in the picture confirms this.

The burning query hangs over U2's two-album-rule. The old, "if we release 2 crap albums consecutively, we're finished" rule.

Does U2 define HTDAAB as a comparatively crap and mediocre effort? If so, this next album might well be their last.

I don;t knwo how they could look at "Bomb" as a crap album. In my opinion it's in their top 3. its dfinately better than ATYCLB. At leas I thik so. Plus Bono has been quoted as saying he thinks the songs are better than AB and JT songs but for whatever reason the album didn't have the same magic as those two. I agree that Yahwe did have kind of a farewell vibe but not nearly the way these "beach Clips" seem to have. Maybe it's just me but they sound as though there's a bittersweetness to them.

And to take it a step further let's say Mercy is included on this album; doesn't Mercy have the last song on the last album ever kind of quality to it? I mean that song would be a great final note.

I'm not saying I want U2 to end, definately not. It's just the feeling I get from the songs. Again though the positive thing is Bono and Co. always seem so enthusiastic and excited about the future of U2 so.....

intedomine said:

I thought 40 and MLK had some "farewell-ish" vibes" to them...

Just kidding, I think the whole concept of having a farewell vibe is completely ridiculous...

I have thought that the next album and tour may be their last, i think i always thought U2 do things on a really large scale and with a great deal of hype and fanfare. I dont know how much longer they can keep that up.. I dont see them doing things on a small scale... but i could easily be wrong, they make music for another 15 years...

ahahahah!!!
listening to the beach clip you gotta this kind of vibe? are you seriously saying that?
shit, listening to those clips I only got the "what's that kind of music-i cannot hear a thing!" feeling!:wink:

Re: Re: Is U2's next album their farewell?

fredstab said:

There is no reason to be nasty.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Just kidding, I think the whole concept of having a farewell vibe is completely ridiculous...

Definately not. Listen to The Cure's album Bloodflowers and you can totally hear a "farewell" vibe in that album. In fact it was originally intended to be The Cure's last album and you can definately hear it in the music and the lyrics.

Hallucination said:

Definately not. Listen to The Cure's album Bloodflowers and you can totally hear a "farewell" vibe in that album. In fact it was originally intended to be The Cure's last album and you can definately hear it in the music and the lyrics.

I have, and it doesn't, and it wasn't. Honestly, I don't see your point, you are going to have name specifics for this theory to work...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I have, and it doesn't, and it wasn't. Honestly, I don't see your point, you are going to have name specifics for this theory to work...

Listen to it again than. And yes it was intended to be The Cure's last album. the songs 39, the Loudest Sound, Bloodflowers. It's obvious. If you have the album there's no point in me nameing specifics. If you dont hear you don't hear it. I hear it.

Ladies and gentlemen, October has to be U2's last album. It's such a step down from Boy, and it's got those farewell vibes of a band who have given their all but have found the music industry too tough to bear. Is That All? really says everything. U2 will vanish into nothing and no-one will remember them in a decade.

War is going to be U2's last album. This band is going out with a bang, leaving a huge political statement to resonate through the ages. 40 is a fitting and solemn prayer to end their career. Bono has even been talking about how this is the end of U2, and the beginning of a new phase. Maybe they have conflicting musical interests and are creating new bands as we speak?

U2 will never make another album after The Unforgettable Fire. They have experimented, proven they are not a one-trick pony, and will finish on top, leaving their most accomplished artistic statement as their last. MLK just sounds like a goodbye, wishing the best for the future.

How could U2 ever top The Joshua Tree? It is the most incredible album ever made. U2 has hit the peak of music and there is nothing left to achieve. This will naturally be their final album. Can't you feel the vibes? No band could continue past this point without turning into a miserable shadow of themselves.

Yuck, Rattle And Hum is the end of U2, and what a sad end! They should never have tried to top the brilliance of The Joshua Tree! Didn't they know they would suffer this ferocious backlash? Well, I'm sure they have been shamed into hiding now. We will never hear another note from these Irish lads.

Achtung Baby has killed U2's fanbase even more than Rattle And Hum did. They've released two albums that have totally failed and lost multitudes of fans. I doubt their record company will even sign them for another album. Once they go on tour and play to half-empty arenas, they'll want to quit anyway.

I can state that Zooropa is definitely U2's farewell album. They have done what many bands failed to do: they entered the nineties with a bang, embracing new sounds and taking audiences by storm. Zooropa is a creative zenith. The Wanderer is obviously their way of looking back at themselves as wanderers through the world, and now they will part and go their separate ways.

What I said about Zooropa two years ago has been proven by Passengers! U2 will announce their formal cessation any day now. They have forsaken the U2 moniker as they have other pathways to pursue. They have taken on a new guise and new interests. U2 ended with Zooropa.

Pop will be the end for U2. Listen to how depressed Bono sounds on Please and Wake Up Dead Man; you can almost hear 'goodbye' being sung between the lines. This band does not want to be in the music industry any more. And the way this album and tour has bombed, they wouldn't want to keep making music anyway.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is U2's final statement as a band. It's a radical departure from Pop; it is the sounds U2 had to make and release before they disband - the sounds they could not leave behind. But now that they have released this album, they have achieved all they wish to achieve and will finish their careers on a high. Doesn't Beautiful Day just say it all about their career anyway?

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb is the end for U2. They're not getting any younger, they're running out of ideas, and Bono is clearly so committed to Africa that the band is just a side project and he will leave U2 to pursue a career in social activism. The Vertigo Tour is U2's farewell tour, so make sure you catch it when it comes to your town! Just look at the way they're covering the world - this is definitely the end.

The forthcoming album will be U2's last. They want to spend time with their families and settle down. Their career has spanned three decades, and the beach clips have such a strong farewell vibe that this is really the only conclusion that can be reached. U2 will end before any of them turn 50, so they avoid becoming cliche "rock dinosaurs".

Back
Top Bottom