Is U2 not inducting The Clash now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
Does anyone have any updated info on this.

The VH1 site has been changed now and some else appears as their presenter?

:confused:

Got this e-mail today from @U2, though VH1 still has Tom Morello listed...

"Sources at Principle Management have confirmed that only The Edge will be present at the ceremony in New York on March 10th to induct The Clash into The Rock And Roll Hall of Fame.

The same source was unable to confirm or deny reports that Bono's absence would be due to hospitalisation."

I would love for Edge to do it, he always has something really smart and funny to say.

Upon reflection, I think the reports that Edge will "be present" mean only that, ie that he's just going to attend, not induct The Clash. It would be great to see him do it on his own, but I don't think that's what's going to happen. I'd love it if someone could prove this theory wrong...

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
Upon reflection, I think the reports that Edge will "be present" mean only that, ie that he's just going to attend, not induct The Clash. It would be great to see him do it on his own, but I don't think that's what's going to happen. I'd love it if someone could prove this theory wrong...

methinks if the commercial says "with appearances from... the edge" he's going to at least say something

perhaps...but if he were inducting them, wouldn't the commercials say he were inducting them?

edit: and I somehow don't think VH1 totally pulled the Tom Morello thing out of their asses. Maybe Edge will say something, but I really don't think he's doing the induction.

Last edited:
I just posted a pic of Edge on the news thread about the hall of fame thing from tonite standing in front of a mircophone, the caption said he was announcing the induction or something like that.....

Last edited:
Edge co-inducted The Clash tonight along with Tom Morello. Unclear if he did any performing in addition to inducting. Pics are out, sure they will be appearing in PLEBA shortly. <g>

This is the caption from the pic that's on yahoo....

"The Edge, of the rock group U2, announces the induction of The Clash during the 18th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony Monday, March 10, 2003, at New York's Waldorf Astoria."

I got this off www.rollingstone.com .

U2 guitarist the Edge picked up where Morello left off. "The last thing that Mick or Paul or Topper or Terry or Joe, bless him, would want is for me to stand up here tonight and sell you a load of emotional hype or blarney about the Clash and how fantastic they were," he said. "Sorry about that, lads, because that's exactly what I'm going to do. Not because they need to hear it, but because I don't think the rest of you know how great they were."

They have a great article about the ceremonies yesterday. You know what, I dont think there's been a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ceremonies where I've really loved so many of the bands involved. The Clash, The Police, ACDC, Elvis Costello, The Righteous Brothers. That's Rock And Roll royalty.

u2popmofo said:
I got this off www.rollingstone.com .

U2 guitarist the Edge picked up where Morello left off. "The last thing that Mick or Paul or Topper or Terry or Joe, bless him, would want is for me to stand up here tonight and sell you a load of emotional hype or blarney about the Clash and how fantastic they were," he said. "Sorry about that, lads, because that's exactly what I'm going to do. Not because they need to hear it, but because I don't think the rest of you know how great they were."

:up: :) :hyper: what else did he say? and what did tom morrello say? *goes to check article*

not enough people do know, and deathbear told me they weren't popular...now, if we could enlist edge in the keister-kicking festivities, that would be great

one of my first roommate's friends came in the room and actually pointed to my clash poster (which has "the clash" printed on it in huge letters) and said "who's that?" :mad:

Last edited:
IWasBored said:

one of my first roommate's friends came in the room and actually pointed to my clash poster (which has "the clash" printed on it in huge letters) and said "who's that?" :mad:

My computer desktop is the London Calling album cover.

I dont know how many times random people have come in and asked me about it. Sad.

u2popmofo said:

My computer desktop is the London Calling album cover.

I dont know how many times random people have come in and asked me about it. Sad.

stupid person: :der: um...do you like pete yorn?

(didn't he rip off that cover or something? i seem to think i saw a poster or an album cover where he did...)

IWasBored said:

stupid person: :der: um...do you like pete yorn?

(didn't he rip off that cover or something? i seem to think i saw a poster or an album cover where he did...)

I had his album for about a month or so. It was pretty unimaginitive and nothing remotely original. It was ok though, just not good enough for me to want to keep.

I've never seen any pictures like that of him, dont know.

when does the induction play on tv again? i've already lost three calendars and can't find the newspaper guide...

a little assistance in the viewing, please (channel, time and length for proper taping would be appreciated!)

thanks, love and awards ceremonies to the great clash and police fans setting vcr and dvd tapes everywhere...(isn't taping a blast? I just got Paul Simon on letterman, what a short man he is, i mean he MUST be as tall as Bono, don't you think??

he he:|

I watched it tonight. Edge and Tom Morello did the best jobs inducting of anyone I think. Great job to them both. It's good to see that they really spent their whole time honoring The Clash, not trying to act cool like some of the other inductors do.

It was amusing when Edge, while giving a couple of examples of rock acts and their music styles, said to Sting, who was sitting in the audience, "Sting, you're sort of white reggae..."

LOL.. Sting didn't really react but being that he has always come across in interviews as being full of himself, I'm guessing he didn't particularly care for that comment. Which is why I liked it so much. heheh :wink:

Back
Top Bottom