Is U2 more popular than ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmb737

Refugee
I have been a fan since I was 15 which was about 1992. I fell in love with them gradually over a year and a half period...long enough to completely miss Zoo TV. (One of my wife and my biggest regrets..."Man, you ever wish you could just back in time?") Tickets were not hard to come by for PopMart. Elevation was harder but not as bad. This is directed to those long term vets who I admire so much.

Is U2 more popular right now than they ever have been? They seem to be breaking all kinds of ticket sales records, this album is selling as well as any of their previous...and with the addition of their marketing partnerships they seem to be everywhere.

Good, bad, or ugly...is it true?

My $0.02......

I think with the advent of the internet, and especially ebay, U2 has become just as popular with ticket scalpers as they have with true fans. But to really understand why they've become so popular with the scalpers requires one to understand why the band itself is so popular.

First, you've got 4 guys who've stuck it out for 25 years +, never leaving, never going off doing solo projects (save for some soundtrack stuff), and always staying committed to each other and to their band. It doesn't happen. Not even The Beatles, considered by some to be the best rock band of all time, can make that type of claim.

Next, the music. And not so much the music itself, but what fuels the music. A listen of their catalog is instant proof that this band makes music from the heart....from their emotions. They don't just sing catchy pop tunes, yet they can take a moving lyric and wrap it in such a melody. They have that ability. But it's this type of music that makes them so appealing to their fans.

Longevity. They've got fans from their early days, and some of those fans have children who have become fans as well (my sons included). They've endured for so long that they've picked up way more fans than they've lost...this I'm sure of.

All of this makes them a wildly popular group. And that fact means their live shows are in HUGE demand. HUGE demand means the price of seeing them in concert goes through the roof (simple supply and demand rule of economics). So not only do you have tons of fans cramiing ticket outlet centers and internet websites, but you've got those scalpers who understand the profit that can be made cramming those same places as well.

The answer to your question, in short, is yes. For the good reasons, for the bad reasons, for the ugly reasons, yes, it's true.

Na.
I mean, they have a greater fanbase now than ever, but I think they were more popular back in the times of The Joshua Tree. I wasn't around then, though, so what am I to say?

But I think what they should be proud of is that they stuck together. No band has stuck to itself for so long (what is it, 27-28 years?) without losing a member or taking new ones in etc.
That's what makes the fanbase solid, too.

Last decisive factor is All That You Can't Leave Behind. Fans that left because of Passengers or Pop came back, and it had a much stronger appeal.
They continue the trend, as you see.

So my conclusion:
Greater fanbase than ever. But General public? I'm not quite sure.

I was just talking about this today with my best friend and U2 partner in crime. We agreed that it was almost impossible to judge what the mindset of the general population is because we live in an extreme bubble of U2 fandom. It's hard to be objective coming from this place. Our views are way to skewed. So, I'm really interested to hear what others have to say about this. All I know is that since I became a fan in 1987, it has never been so difficult to get tickets.

I think it depends on how you look at it. As far as chart success you would have to say "no" they are not as popular now as they were back in 1987. They had two #1 hits in the US with JT and have only cracked the Top Ten, I think, twice since then with Discoteque and One.

On the other hand, if you measure popularity by other means, I would say they are more popular now than ever. The hype that preceeds a U2 release is like nothing else and the desire for people to see them live is "Out of Control" compared to the JT era.

I know, for myself, that I am in love with the band more now than I was when I became a fan back in 1988. They have truly become the soundtrack of my life.

Just a thought.....

I think they're just as popular as any other established veteran rock act that's been around for a while... Like the Stones or Aerosmith or anyone else. That is the level of popularity they are at right now.

They're no longer popular in the sense that they're a breakthrough act that has a current hot album out that is on everyone's top ten list.

And they're also not popular in the sense that they're just a cool trendy band that is experiencing a good 15 minutes of fame either.

No... people I know and a couple of boards I frequent don't think much of U2 or defend them as much as a U2 fan when the band is criticised. People always moan about Joshua Tree and Achtung being their best days and nothing good has come out from the band ever since (POP and ATYCLB included). Indie snobs seem to think the same. However, HTDAAB could help them or hurt them... I think its still up in the air.

But personally I don't see them being as popular. I'm talking about Joshua Tree all over the media popular with the occasional Beatles comparisons.

Last edited:
In 1987, I attended the JT tour in Toronto (Bono had a broken arm). U2 was the flavour of the year in a world that was still rock friendly. You had people jumping on the U2 bandwagon who were only too quick to fall off it when they made the far less- radio friendly with AB.

Today's fan base is much stronger and secure. (I prefer to measure popularity in terms of the fan base.) No doubt it's never been this large, and is probably the most commited despite the unfortunate predominance of hip hop.

How much do sales really count anyways in determining popularity? Led Zep, one of the most famous and popular bands ever, was rarely played on mainstream radio and only managed one top 5 hit in 10 years (Stairway to Heaven arguably one of the most famous songs of all time, wasn't even released as a single)

...and I know I'm more of a fan now then I ever was.

Cheers

I'm combining the sales success and the actual critical success. I've seen quite a number of anti-HTDAAB reviews or un-enthusiastic reviews. A lot of these reviews aren't from small indie rags either. I remember back in the JT days, critics treating U2 like people did with Radiohead when Radiohead came out with OK Computer/ Kid A. It wasn't too offensive to some to mention these guys as the new Beatles. Now... U2 doesn't get that kind of adoration though they get the elder statesmen respect.

Tickets didnt look very easy to get for "Saved by the Bell" back then?????? They had to sneek in that store and sleep in that tent, those were the crazy days!

I live in Los Angeles and when U2 have a concert or album coming out, Star98.7 and Kroq. also 95.5 KLOS they will start to play their music but only the top 40 ones. There has been a new station called Indie 103.1 and it is amazing. They play U2 all the time. It is a great station and they play everything. Steve Jones is a DJ in the afternoon all week. Also Dave Navaro. I hope I spelled that right ? U2 for me music wise was JT was the climaxed album that was HUge. TUFF was awesome. I saw them right before Jt and it was very special. It has definitely gotten worse to buy tickets. When I saw AB, I payed $175 for lodge right on the side second row. It was great.

mysticchild said:
I live in Los Angeles and when U2 have a concert or album coming out, Star98.7 and Kroq. also 95.5 KLOS they will start to play their music but only the top 40 ones. There has been a new station called Indie 103.1 and it is amazing. They play U2 all the time. It is a great station and they play everything. Steve Jones is a DJ in the afternoon all week. Also Dave Navaro. I hope I spelled that right ? U2 for me music wise was JT was the climaxed album that was HUge. TUFF was awesome. I saw them right before Jt and it was very special. It has definitely gotten worse to buy tickets. When I saw AB, I payed $175 for lodge right on the side second row. It was great.

Yeah, I was in Hollywood and Burbank last night with a friend and every other station was playing U2 songs.. One could tell U2 was coming to town.

Sadly U2 only gets this kind of radio airplay when they're coming out with a new album or coming to LA for a show.

mculver said:
I think it depends on how you look at it. As far as chart success you would have to say "no" they are not as popular now as they were back in 1987. They had two #1 hits in the US with JT and have only cracked the Top Ten, I think, twice since then with Discoteque and One.

Just some minor corrections here...

First, "Mysterious Ways" and "Desire" were also Top 10 hits.

Second, the charts are constantly changing. Back in 1997, for example, a song couldn't chart until its CD single was released. However, now, songs chart on airplay alone as CD singles sales were relatively low and sometimes not really indicative of a song's success.

"Vetigo" forced Billboard to change their charts again. "Vertigo" was a Top 40 hit based on airplay, but with over 300,000 downloads, it was so wildly popular on-line that Billboard is now including legal downloads when considering a single's chart placement. This new procedure was just implemented and as a result, "Vertigo" leapt nearly 20 places on the charts. Had this been in place in "Vertigo's" prime, U2 easily would've had another Top 10 hit.

With that in mind, it is arguable that U2 is as popular now as they were in the JT and AB days. However, in the JT era many people were just learning of U2 - so there was that extra "magic". U2 were finally the "next big thing" and people paid attention. Plus, they were young and different. With their longevity, some of that "magic" has been lost. Therefore, I'd say U2 are still going strong, but in terms of sales and charts, not quite as good as in '87.

However, the question asked about overall popularity. And since U2 has been so successful for so long, I'd say they are more popular than ever. They have fans from the 80's, 90's and the 00's. Even those who didn't like "Pop" or the newer works are still fans and are still buying the music and going to concerts. Everyone (who pays attention to popular culture) knows U2 - especially Bono - by now. So I'd say that definitely U2 are at their potential peak.

Flying FuManchu said:
I'm combining the sales success and the actual critical success. I've seen quite a number of anti-HTDAAB reviews or un-enthusiastic reviews. A lot of these reviews aren't from small indie rags either. I remember back in the JT days, critics treating U2 like people did with Radiohead when Radiohead came out with OK Computer/ Kid A. It wasn't too offensive to some to mention these guys as the new Beatles. Now... U2 doesn't get that kind of adoration though they get the elder statesmen respect.

Barring the Chicago Sun-Times, I disagree - most of the negative press reviews have been from small indie rags. And I've loathed the critic from the Sun-Times for years. He's an elitist snob - as soon as any artist gains popularity, he hates them. As such, he's hated U2 for years.

Entertainment Weekly also gave a midling review. I'm remembering reading a few others. I miss youtwo.net... :sad:

doctorwho... you are right, in that generally the reviews have been good but I think the early review skewed that perception (reviews made by people who got to listen to the record beforehand). The impression I got was that HTDAAB just got respectable reviews and not the type of Radiohead OK Computer/ Kid A type of fawning that makes a band or an album. A few good reviews and then the haters. But then I could be remembering wrong.

I would say world wide U2 have never been as popular as they are today but I dont think they will ever beat the Joshua Tree days in the US infact I am 100 percent sure they wont....worldwide they are certainly just as popular today it is the US that is lagging behind the rest of the world as far as "getting" U2 is concerned. Of course they have most of the record buying public so they are the ones that can make or break an album.

david said:

Yeah, I was in Hollywood and Burbank last night with a friend and every other station was playing U2 songs.. One could tell U2 was coming to town.

Sadly U2 only gets this kind of radio airplay when they're coming out with a new album or coming to LA for a show.

Oh my Gosh, I was driving around the San Fernando Valley today and I kept hearing U2 all day on KROQ. Then I heard 5 in arow on both 93.7 and 95. something. They were playing COBL, SYCMIOYO and SBS and Numb...I wish radio stations would act like this more often.;)

Album/single sales - no
tours/tickets -just as big,if not bigger.
IMO u2 have a large fan base,mainly from 25 years old upwards.Mainy ppl have put alot of time,effort and emotion into u2 over the years,thats a hard thing to break.They pay the fans back by still producing quality,fresh new material....25 years after starting:drool:
Album sales will never hit the JT period,the world has changed since then(downloads etc)but you try getting a ticket for this tour:ohmy:
In short....u2 are not as big as they once were but they have 'been there,bought the t-shirt' and are still there:|

Lack of US tickets

Jeez,

You're all being "so nice" about the situation. Have you checked out the Scalper link at the top of the page.

Wonder how many "fan club" tickets went there. DUH.

As to Larry Mullens "two words" for those so called U2 fans.

Here's 3 right back.

KISS MY A$$.

Re: Lack of US tickets

Britman45 said:
Jeez,

You're all being "so nice" about the situation. Have you checked out the Scalper link at the top of the page.

Wonder how many "fan club" tickets went there. DUH.

As to Larry Mullens "two words" for those so called U2 fans.

Here's 3 right back.

KISS MY A$$.

Can't you come up with something better. You have 3 posts and it's exactly the same in three different threads.

Flying FuManchu said:
No...
But personally I don't see them being as popular. I'm talking about Joshua Tree all over the media popular with the occasional Beatles comparisons.

Yes, and:
funny how times change. Now the media occasionally references a new band as possibly being "the next U2". :rockon:
move over Beatles (jk.. no one can replace the Beatles)

edited to say: liking the new smilies:giggle:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom