Is U2 more popular than ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No I think not. But It really depends on how one measures popularity.

U2 have hardcore fans and fans who will not be ashamed to say they admire and enjoy listening to U2 music.

Yet there exists a strong anti-u2 sentiment amongst many people of the world. For some, it is legitimate. They don't gain pleasure out of U2's sound. For some, it's illigitimate, and is merely a case of jealousy, envy or "tall poppy syndrome", because U2 have an illustious career and widespread success.

Among the average music listener, I have felt that certain phrases seem to sum up how U2 is recieved by the general public upon a a new album release.

PoP: "Hmmm Different." or "Better call it quits"

ATYCLB: "Nice music" or " They still are quite good" or "Oldies Music"

The feeling leading up to the release of the new album has appeared quite different.

HTDAAB: "Here we go again" or "They've been around for ages" or "Old band still going around" or "Quit Already!" (phrases that are said with negative tones)

U2 still have their fans and the fans are earned by the band for creating cosistent quality music.

But nevertheless, there is a feeling that does unfortunately exist amongst society that just wants U2 to disappear so the charts and mainstream radio can make way for bands like Jet and the White Stripes, as well as Idol contestants, more hip hop and RnB "artists."

Sadly, the music buying public are prejudiced towards band like U2, who are "old school" and not worth getting into.

Sad, but true.

The feeling towards a new U2 release is different from the late 80's and early 90's.

It's simple really. U2 gained a gazillion fans in the JT era. From then til now, some new fans joined in the fold. From then til now also, some fans passed away. So who do you think are more, the U2 fans who passed away from 1987 to present, or the new ones they earned from 1987 to present? If your answer is the latter then it's a no-brainer, U2 are more popular now than ever.

Cheers,

J

No. Popularity in terms of fans calling in and demanding to hear them on radio or see them on MTV, the 1987-1993 era can't be topped.

Untill jushua they were going up, all the time.
Joshua led them to the top, but little falling with Rattle & hum didn't hurt them much, because of HIS GREATNESS ACHTUNG BABY,
which even GOD, Yahweh, Budda and Alah are listening all time.
:rockon: :rockon:

Little falling with next two, but ATYCLB brought them back...

Yes, more popular than ever, but not better!!!
last two albums aren't better then Achtung or Joshua, but when you ask normal people(NOT U2 FANS) to name some songs, answers are
1.Beautiful Day
2.Elevation
3.Vertigo
4.WOWY(eventually)
5.One(eventually)
6.Stuck in a moment(eventually)

Which aren't best, except WOWY and One which are great.

I think U2 transcends charts and the like, but I think the thing is that the music media has become bored with them, so, therefore there's an appearence that U2 isn't as popular as they used to be.

The Joshua Tree era was U2 at their highest peak. They could've been bigger during AB but grunge was center stage then. And anything after that was pointless with hip-hop shit taking the spotlight. I guess timing has a lot to do with things as well not just the quality of the albums.

I think U2 are most certainly more well known now then they ever were not due to music but due to Bono's african crusaide. Before 2000 if you asked people outside of the 20-40 age range who U2 was very few of them could answer you, and that isnt made up that is a fact...I used to have a bunch of different wallpapers for my computer at work, the majority didnt recognize who they were until you told them who they were.

Is the music more popular now no its not the music was most popular from 1987-1993 but U2 are certainly more well known now then they have ever been to a mainstream audience whether that is good or bad is another question.

mysticchild said:
I live in Los Angeles and when U2 have a concert or album coming out, Star98.7 and Kroq. also 95.5 KLOS they will start to play their music but only the top 40 ones. There has been a new station called Indie 103.1 and it is amazing. They play U2 all the time. It is a great station and they play everything. Steve Jones is a DJ in the afternoon all week. Also Dave Navaro. I hope I spelled that right ? U2 for me music wise was JT was the climaxed album that was HUge. TUFF was awesome. I saw them right before Jt and it was very special. It has definitely gotten worse to buy tickets. When I saw AB, I payed $175 for lodge right on the side second row. It was great.

What happened to Indie 103's blowtorch? I get a ton of static on that station now. Good f'ing station for sure.

u2valleygirl said:
Oh my Gosh, I was driving around the San Fernando Valley today and I kept hearing U2 all day on KROQ. Then I heard 5 in arow on both 93.7 and 95. something. They were playing COBL, SYCMIOYO and SBS and Numb...I wish radio stations would act like this more often.;)
Lucky! I agree.

Macfistowannabe said:
And now they play a lot of reality TV. Why aren't they called RTV?

Because their target audience have minds that are too small to comprehend such a change. They probably don't even know what the M stands for.

U2's pinnacle was March 1987. They can never be as big again as they were that Summer because they have become part of music history. However unlike so many other 'great' acts U2 have continued to make great music (and some of their best songs) since their zenith.

It might be different in other parts of the world, but here in Middle America where I live U2 are still popular in the sense that almost everyone knows who they are and hum along to their tunes when they come on the radio, but it just isn't as intense as it was back in 1987 when it seemed like everyone (at least everyone between the ages of 15-25) was playing The Joshua Tree 24/7.

I'm surprised this is even a conversation. U2 sets records with speedy sales for HTDAAB, sets records for sold-out tickets for the tour, generating even more intense media scrutiny, and we're wondering if they're more popular than ever? I'd say so.... in NME's music poll, it's U2 alone amidst the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, etc.

That U2 can still garner that kind of attention and respect says something, dont'cha think?

It's different than in 1987 -- back then people were just discovering U2. These days it almost feels like U2 is being discovered again...for the first time.

macphisto23 said:
Tickets didnt look very easy to get for "Saved by the Bell" back then?????? They had to sneek in that store and sleep in that tent, those were the crazy days!

:lmao:

im so glad i opened this thread just so i was able to read this post

well done :up:

Back
Top Bottom