Is U2 making music for "white" people only?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
indra said:
But isn't it entirely possible that what you think of as universally appealing lyrics and music is not, in fact, universal?
Right. Youssou N'Dour, AR Rahman, Gilberto Gil, and many other so-called 'world music' artists could just as easily be described as 'universal,' too, in terms of their themes. And they are definitely more widely revered than U2 in their home countries. But how many Americans and Europeans are familiar with their work? The language barriers are formidable, let alone the often unfamiliar sounds.

Originally posted by Yahweh
What white musician has a primarly black audience unless they are doing rap...nobody. U2 is no different.
Exactly. U2 speak the language of the social and cultural world they come from; so do OutKast and The Roots. And what is wrong with that? U2, like any other artist, certainly can and do assimilate influences from outside rock's mainstream, but they will always have a 'native tongue.'

Anyway, why does it matter who U2's audiences are? The fact that, say, 'Pride' was not a huge hit with African-Americans in no way compromises its moral or artistic integrity, and to suggest that it does is profoundly demeaning to Dr. King's legacy. The values he gave his life for are universal; the song is not, nor does it need to be. Expressing solidarity with someone(s) is not the same as presuming to speak for or to them.

People of color don't seem to listen to rock music as much as white people in general, so it's not like U2 is unique in having a mostly white audience. I'm willing to bet they have more non-white fans than a lot of rock bands. Aren't they supposed to be really popular in Mexico and South America?

If African American people don't relate to U2's music then they don't relate to it and they simply wont by it. The same can be said about other races as well.

It's not a matter of whether or not U2 are making music for white people only, they're making music for themselves and whoever buys it buys it.

I think they make whatever they want to make, and they have no control over who buys it.

most rock fans are white, so most u2 fans are.

i think a majority of my friends aren't white, and they all either love u2 or like a lot of their songs.

South America loves u2, and I heard u2 has a very big Indian following.

I'm an East Indian living in the US for about 5 yrs now. I've been a fan since 1992 at least. That's 13 years! And I know a few people back in India who are fans. So, the answer is no. They make music for whoever relates to it and/or likes listening to it.

U2's music probably appeals to more cultures than other rock bands, on account of their widespread touring locations. Mexicans, apparently love their music, see Popmart, look at the masses of people jumping, shouting, singing along.

I'm Mexican-American, U2's my favorite band.

Not to forget, rock music, was "black" music, originally, even Bono and Edge said that. One of Adam's favorite bands is Bob Marley and the Wailers, Larry loves Elvis' music, who made "black" music accessible, brought it to "white" American culture.

Not to mention, U2 is Irish, English-Irish, Welsh-Irish, there's black people in Ireland, England, Wales never been there, but it's not like the only black people are in America and Africa.

Last edited:
yolland said:

Right. Youssou N'Dour, AR Rahman, Gilberto Gil, and many other so-called 'world music' artists could just as easily be described as 'universal,' too, in terms of their themes. And they are definitely more widely revered than U2 in their home countries. But how many Americans and Europeans are familiar with their work? The language barriers are formidable, let alone the often unfamiliar sounds.

I'm the biggest Youssou N'Dour nut on this site and I'm a English speaking whitey.

I do understand what you mean though. Universal to one person is not universal to another.

U2 appeals to non-whites who want to see the gap of understanding bridged between those in the first world and those in the third world... Myself, and at least 10 other people I know of South Asian descent are huge U2 fans

bcrt2000 said:
U2 appeals to non-whites who want to see the gap of understanding bridged between those in the first world and those in the third world... Myself, and at least 10 other people I know of South Asian descent are huge U2 fans

Do you believe people can like music in such a calculated fashion?

I like Youssou N'Dour because I like the energy and the big drums (he had four drummers on his last tour. )

My tastes are pretty innate.
Big drums = good
Loud bass = brilliant.

I can't force myself to like music because its the right thing to do eg Bob Dylan.

Ummm... I'm of South Asian descent, and I got into U2 16 years ago when I first saw Rattle and Hum - because I thought Larry was hot! (still do!)
Of course, I've (hopefully) matured a lot in those years, and while I applaud Bono's efforts for the Third World, I am a fan mainly for the music, nothing more.

well I guess it's moslty culture....From Scott Joplin to Blues poeple like BB King, that was probably what most black poeple were interested in at the time....
Now Rap is the culture. I know from what I've seen black poeple tend to stick to there own. It's only the ones that go past the color barrier that embrace western culture more. I know in the US and Europe this probably is 'nt the case in most areas...but in Australia the indiginous poeple really don't like getting involved with the whites....I hate talking like this, but unfortunatly that's how it is.

It's all to do with culture and who you associate with.

stagman said:
but in Australia the indiginous poeple really don't like getting involved with the whites....I hate talking like this, but unfortunatly that's how it is.

Bullocks! Sorry, but I completely disagee with you. Where are you? I grew up in the outback and the Aboriginals had no issues with me. Still don't. I worked for Oxfam here with some of the local community, no problems.

They're are some Aboriginals that are racist as there are some white Australians that are racist, but as a broad sweeping statement I disagree with you completely.

david said:
If African American people don't relate to U2's music then they don't relate to it and they simply wont by it. The same can be said about other races as well.

It's not a matter of whether or not U2 are making music for white people only, they're making music for themselves and whoever buys it buys it.

I think this sums up this topic!

I'm from Cov and i'm as white as they come(except when i go to spain on my hols when i go bright red).U2 do seem to appeal to white'trash' but they don't select who should go and buy their music.

indra said:

But isn't it entirely possible that what you think of as universally appealing lyrics and music is not, in fact, universal?

I mean to me most, if not all, hip hop and rap music (and lyrics) is completely foreign to me. It's just a different cultural upbringing.

I understand what you're saying and after giving it some more thought, I think a more accurate way I could have put it would be to say that I believe that the message U2 bring with their lyrics is pretty universal (not in the least because the lyrics can be interpreted in a gazzilion different ways, lol), but just the style they bring it in (the music, the image) appeals to certain groups of people more than others.
So many people, so many tastes.
I think U2 doesn't necessarily bring "white music" but f.e. rap-lovers aren't inclined to listen to it, because it's not their taste and vice versa. Same for all different genres, I believe.

When I speak with friends about music, it's often an eye-opener to read behind the music they like and try to identity with the message behind it, the lyrics, the background, etc.
It's fascinating. You just have to get over the initial sound and then, yeah, I do believe that a lot of musicians talk about similar topics and beliefs.

indra said:
Well, U2 is four white guys who most likely make the music that appeals to them. I don't think they intentionally target one race, but I do think their music tends to appeal to people of similar social and cultural backgrounds.

I think it works that way for most bands/musicians.

:yes:

Not to be overly PC, but to keep saying "white" is a knock to those who don't consider themselves white on this board. Mexicans, South Asians and Indians are not white people. I know the rest of you know this, but let's not divide the world into white people and black people.

It really boils down to, you get in where you fit in. If U2's message appeals to you, you will dig it no matter your race or ethnic background. It comes down to culture and what you relate to.

the soul waits said:

I think U2 doesn't necessarily bring "white music" but f.e. rap-lovers aren't inclined to listen to it, because it's not their taste and vice versa. Same for all different genres, I believe.

I love rap and I love U2 as well...

in fact, if you remember, Public Enemy opened some of the ZOOtv concerts and people like Dj Muggs (from Cypress Hill) has mixed U2 songs, and Bono has made duets with Wycleff Jean (the guy of the fugees, hip hop and R&B music). Music is not like a thousand islands miles away from each other, you know.

Yes true, and for the record, I love Snoop! And I obviously love U2.
My point is that not all people are open to genres that are out of their field of interest.

I read an interview with Alicia Keys yesterday.

"What's the last record you bought?"

Keys: "The new U2 record. I love U2. The whole album is just crazy. I love the whole flow, and that they're going to be themselves forever."

jick said:

Agree.

U2's lyrics also don't fit the black demographic. There is a common thread in lyrical themes black artists use, and U2 doesn't use these themes.

U2 doesn't also use the same type of English style. They don't use "ain't" often. Maybe if they made their song "Sometimes You Ain't Gonna Make It On Your Own" -it would appeal more to the blacks.

But on the other side, I don't think you'll see many U2 fanatics in a Jay-Z or Snoop or P.Diddy concert or internet fan forum.

Cheers,

J

anyone else find the "ain't" paragraph to be incredibly offensive and/or ignorant?

this is really stupid people... if you're talking about people who like just rap/hip-hop fans... yea, not too many of them like u2, be they black, white, red, orange, purple or striped. they don't like the beatles, the stones, the who, hendrix, bb king, ray charles or any other non rap artist for that matter.

the same can be said for people who only like rock... they don't like jay-z, 50 cent, eminem, whoever.

if you just appreciate music for the music, then it's quite possiable for someone, regardless of color, to have a record collection that includes everything from u2 to eminem to jay-z to johnny cash.

equating a specific musical genre to an entire race of people is a tad ignorant.

chris rock and tiger woods have both been spotted at u2 concerts. dennis rodman is a HUGE pearl jam fan. one of my best friends, a black man, loved dave matthews. :shrug: music is color blind.

jimi hendrix made rock music... was he making music only for white people? what about lenny kravitz? ben harper?

Last edited:
hootie.jpg

oh no i didn't :wink:

I believe Jimi is able to reach out across to blacks AND whites b/c a lot of his music is still blues/ soul based. Although hip hop is the dominant genre to blacks in America, there are still people who love soul, R & B, blues box music and hate rap (mostly of the older generation.

I remember Randy Newman jokingly/ sarcastically referring to U2 and the number of black fans the band had b/c of their use of the choir in Rattle & Hum. I believe U2 appeals to all races except for black Americans (generally). But the impression I got, was that blacks are somewhat dismissive of rock/ alt rock. Of course that doesn't mean there aren't black people who like rock (Living Color, Bad Brains, etc...). My roomie loved Papa Roach and an agro band or two...

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
I remember Randy Newman jokingly/ sarcastically referring to U2 and the number of black fans the band had b/c of their use of the choir in Rattle & Hum.

Yeah, that type of 'joke' is why I expressed concern in my earlier post about why the size of U2's nonwhite audience matters. If it's just an innocent demographics question, fine,
but this is not the place to collect reputable data on that; all you're going to get is a bunch of anecdotes about This Black Guy I Used to Know, or Well I'm Not White and I Love U2, etc. I wonder what sort of context bathiu saw those remarks in.

Too often, the underlying 'point' is what Newman was insinuating--i.e., if U2's audience is overwhelmingly white/'Euro-', then U2 lack credibility as social justice advocates. That sort of cheap shot is less common now than it was in the '80s--thanks mostly to Bono's high-profile activism, as well as U2's embrace of self-parody in the '90s--but it's still a temptation for some.

If I understood it correctly, bathiu's post wasn't asking whether U2's music is inherently 'color-blind,' but rather who listens to it (and doesn't) in real life. It seems silly to get bogged down in debates about 'What makes music White/Black/etc.' when the original question surely has an objective, factual answer. I just don't know how we'd ever find it, since that kind of sales data is not generally tracked.

Back
Top Bottom