Is U2 in trouble of losing the tittle of worlds...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're talking like Coldplay has hit their peak and will only go down. As much as we all want to see that(because new album isn't as good as Hut Dab) that won't happen. Coldplay will make some more albums, some of them better, some of them worse. But Achtung and Zoo period(or for other Joshua and Lovetown) can't be competed. Those were the best days. Hardly u2 will match them.
Next thing: HAVE YOU SEEN COLDPLAY LIVE?If you did, you'll stop talking that they are challenging u2.
The Rolling stones are old,dried out, but they are what they are. More people will always go to see them than U2.
The whole music industry aren't only U2 and Coldplay.

Lets give some props to Coldplay. They are a good studio band.

Problem is they suck live! There live shows lack emotion and excitement, something that any U2 show undoubtedly has.

Another thing about bands today becoming what U2 is now is the way the music business is these days. U2 came from an era where many bands aren't around anymore (80's) and hit the perfect pitch with Achtung Baby. If it wasn't for AB I don't know how U2 would have survived. Bono said it best at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction, that if U2 came out today they wouldn't last as long as they have. I really don't see how Coldplay or anyone else can even come close to where U2 have been or is now. The music scene has changed so much now. People's attention spans are so short I'm surprised if they can even listen to 3 tracks off an album. The concert industry is hurting too. If U2 wasn't touring this spring/summer who would be selling out arenas. The only people who tour good size venues are greatest hits acts (U2 is so special because they still tour there new tunes). When the Stones tour I'll be surprised if they play 5 songs off their new album. Mick will have to say before the new tunes "This is a new one for you", while U2 will just play. In 10 years you think Coldplay or anyone for that matter will be selling out stadiums or even arenas. Coldplay right now is just a victim of the industry. They made a lackluster album (X&Y) and are being driven by the media like they made the Joshua Tree II.

Anyone saw Speed of sound video??
Music-much like Clocks
Video-those colors in the back look much like Vertigo tour
(am i the only one who feels like this)

Sorry..been trying to listen to X & Y (& zzz)...and I find nothing even remotely "worlds greatest band" about it. Boring and monotonous. A very disappointing album given all the media hype. Hell Dave Matthews Band is a more realistic contender for "world's greatest" than Coldplay. Latest album is one I actually can listen to without falling asleep, and they are certainly entertaining live.

Seeking Adam said:

When/where did you see them?

I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl at the end of the their last tour. 80 minutes I think. If they had emotion, it didn't translate. And though I kind of enjoy some of the songs off X&Y, it's a snoozer. Press picked a bad time to annoint a successor.

zoopop said:

U2 came from an era where many bands aren't around anymore (80's) and hit the perfect pitch with Achtung Baby. If it wasn't for AB I don't know how U2 would have survived. Bono said it best at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame induction, that if U2 came out today they wouldn't last as long as they have.

Most bands in the 80's weren't on Time Magazine and known as the biggest band in the world. If they didn't have AB, they could have made music closer to Joshua Tree and they still would probably be huge. Fan base might not be as diverse, but they were set for life in the record industry. When Bono said U2 wouldn't have survived if they came out today, he was talking about October being a commercial dud.

Seeking Adam said:

When/where did you see them?
I saw them performing live for MTV Europe.
singer is sitting and wiping himself with a tovel
guitarist is walking 2 steps, left, right
That's all

Pero said:

I saw them performing live for MTV Europe.
singer is sitting and wiping himself with a tovel
guitarist is walking 2 steps, left, right
That's all

you saw them on tv? and they didn't move around a lot? so obviously that would translate into they suck live.

i am a coldplay fan. not a huge fan, but i like them. i have seen them live a couple of times, and they are no u2, but both shows I saw though were excellent, and very spirited, emotional, etc. Chris Martin is no Bono, but on the few tracks he doesn't play piano he was up and running around, etc. (since that is obviously what makes a great performer) They did only play about 85 minutes, but then again they had only released two albums and one ep when I saw them.

They played 85 minutes much like U2 did on the October and War Tours. I guess by your logic U2 used to suck live and only got good when they started playing 2 hrs. Or maybe U2 was always good because Bono was always very active on stage- since that is what really matters.

all that said coldplay is a great band. X&Y imo is a subpar album from them. It is a little too slow and similar in feel overall. coldplay is still a young band and will be around for a while. There is a lot of hype right now becasue of a rush of blood to the head, and they are not going to live up to it with this album, but the may start to in the future.

as far as my taste goes U2 is still on top, radiohead will be right there with them when their next album comes out, and when people stop looking to brit pop for the next band to rule the world- wilco will start to get their due (again my opinion - i don't need anyone to give me a break down on why wilco will never be a huge commercial success- i realize that).

zoopop said:
Another thing about bands today becoming what U2 is now is the way the music business is these days. U2 came from an era where many bands aren't around anymore (80's) and hit the perfect pitch with Achtung Baby. If it wasn't for AB I don't know how U2 would have survived.

Your comments made me think... Achtung Baby was great not just because U2 reinvented themselves, but because they did so by still creating new, amazing music that was just what the music audience needed to hear, even if they didn't know it. So, at first I was going to say that all a band really needs to do is reinvent themselves--but do it WELL--and they can make it. That's why most of the 80s bands didn't make it--they couldn't adapt to the times. The other option, like you said, would be to play nothing but greatest hits, but that's not how you remain the greatest band in the world.

But then I thought some more (wow!)... Like Bono says in the "Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree" DVD, the fact that U2 made it in the 80s is somewhat surprising because their music never really fit in with the rest of 80s songs. Yet they were great. And then when they reinvented themselves in Achtung Baby, even that didn't fit in with the music of the times (remember: Nirvana, Pearl Jam, etc. were big at the same time). Even now, there may be those who try to sound like U2 on ATYCLB and HTDAAB, but no one really does. It kinda leads me to conclude that the reason U2 are the greatest band in the world is that they write music that transcends what fits in the music industry and they somehow figure out what people want to hear--or what people WOULD want to hear once they knew it's out there. If U2 are the biggest band in the world because of their unmatched creativity & ingenuity as writers of music and architects of their industry, dare I say that they will not be unseated until they somehow lose that creativity?

Last edited:
Very interesting Coldplay opinions from the U2 fans. If only a few of you knew U2 a bit better!

One guy said "War" was an upbeat album (angry is more like it) and another said that an argument could be made that they (U2) could be one of the best ever at their respective instruments!

That's funny. Let's see: Larry Mullen among the best drummers ever? Um, no. Adam Clayton best bassist? Uh yeah he's right up there with John Entwistle.

U2's greatness lies in the SUM OF THEIR PARTS. Any legitimate fan knows this.

Just hilarious. Maybe some of you should put away the Coldplay albums and try listening to U2. Seems like you could use a refresher.

Last edited:
I don't like Coldplay that much -- I think their songs sound almost all alike... I miss the different rhythms and styles.
And I don't like particularly Chris Martin's voice.
It's a "normal voice" -- nothing that gives a particular touch.

Maybe the will make other very good records, or maybe not.

There's absolutely no way to forsee this...

I have listened X&Y for 4-5 times because I had to write a review and it was really "play-it-safe"

Never saw them live, so I can't say if they're good or not.

....have to agree with the New York Times review im afraid... I got into Coldplay at the very start back in summer 2000 when they released Shiver on single, they were really great I have to say....and the Parachutes album was a refreshing change at the time...

...then Rush of Blood came out....I remember thinking it felt abit over-produced, but still....an admirable follow up, and it showed that they were definitly reaching for something, but yes, you could hear an overt shift towards a U2 style of music even then...

..at this stage, with anticipation raising for their new album, I was feeling a certain amount of excitement and also worry(!?) that these guys might have what it takes to seriously challenge U2 artistically and commercially....(not a bad thing! ...was just fan-nerves!)

...with all of Chris Martins pre-talk of 're-inventing the wheel' and such, I really thought these guys where gonna full an Achtung Baby or something.....although it was alot sooner in their careers than U2, the music world has changed, and I definitly saw it coming.....

....then the First single name was announced....'Speed of Sound' ....forgetting what you know of the song now, I thought it was gonna be an edgy fly-style full-on rocker to blow our hair off! ....ya know? ...it sounds like a pretty cool title......and then the Album name came out...X&Y ....very different, it really seemed like they wanted to make a mark, and then talk of Kraftwerk inspiration as well....I was foaming at the mouth, it felt like they were gonna make the album I wished Bomb was....

....and then it was released. The buble burst with Speed of Sound. Nothing as I hoped. Nice melody, but ultimately boring-ish and yes, a Clocks rip-off (no blatant I cant believe they allowed it...)

...and then, oh my god....the lyrics. This is where the NY Times guy is spot on. They really are...atrocious. I mean, I'm speakin as someone who cringed listening to most of Bombs lyrics, but X&Y makes Bomb look like Ulysses...... ...its such watered-down...crap. For want of a better word. And the Kraftwerk 'influences'? ...they basically nicked the whole tune from the beautiful Computer Love and molested it with some woeful lyrics. I mean, imagine, they ACTUALLY got permission to use ACTUAL Kraftwerk music and that is all they did with it.....play it on guitar. 'Talk' about a wasted opportunity.

Im sorry, but my complaints here are genuine. Genuine from the disappointment at such a bland offering.

And to all the naysayers who say they shouldnt be criticised for aspiring to be the new U2, that would be fine ya know.....if they were bringing something original to the table with it. Like one of the posters said, U2 were inspired by the Clash, the Ramones, Led Zep....countless bands that they sound nothing like....because they were aspiring to the spirit of those bands, they had a confidence with their 'own' sound......Coldplay were playing with fire a bit with Rush of Blood, they NEEDED to make a clean break of their own after that...and instead they just dropped further into this beige, bland, watered down, chiming-guitar.....blob that they've become.

Im sure they'll add a few 'edgey' sounds to their next album...some distortion on Chris Martins vocals, some deeper-breathy lyrics.....but its a bit too little, too late....they've done the worst thing you can do in rock music...

...become predictable.

:|

(sorry bout that....think its waited to come out for a while)

I was thinking as I clicked on this, it better not be about Coldplay! No way will those saps ever top U2.

The Sunday Parade magazine said that the new Coldplay album is being criticized because they abandoned their original sound for a mainstream one that copies everyone else on adult contemporary radio, and also because people are sick of hearing Martin write and whine about being a lost, sad, lonesome guy when they know he really beds down with Gwenyth Paltrow!

U2 is just legendary... When looking back there is a memory of something great everywhere you look .. they really pushed boundaries in ALL directions... from punk to Blues to Pop to straight up rock and roll. They almost seem like different bands depending on when you look at them in their career.. but the common thread is their unique ability to identify with the average fan. Coldplay music, to me personally, while sometimes enjoyable to listen to, just doesn't 'click' with me like U2 does.

Why did this thread get dug up after four months of well-deserved quiet? :huh:

I reviewed X&Y and went on about how appalling some of the songs were where the LYRICS are concerned and the lyrics just let otherwise fantastic pieces of music down, and my friend read the review and he was all.....:ohmy: "Wha...?!"

on the point of them sucking live, Pero...I don't think seeing them on television really counts...:eyebrow: I was at the front for their performance at Glastonbury this year and it was bloody fantastic! Well worth the 3 year wait since passing the chance to see them in 2002!

Last edited:
Pero said:
You're talking like Coldplay has hit their peak and will only go down. As much as we all want to see that(because new album isn't as good as Hut Dab) that won't happen. Coldplay will make some more albums, some of them better, some of them worse. But Achtung and Zoo period(or for other Joshua and Lovetown) can't be competed. Those were the best days. Hardly u2 will match them.
Next thing: HAVE YOU SEEN COLDPLAY LIVE?If you did, you'll stop talking that they are challenging u2.
The Rolling stones are old,dried out, but they are what they are. More people will always go to see them than U2.
The whole music industry aren't only U2 and Coldplay.

Thats not actually U2. U2 latest 32 date Vertigo Tour of Europe is the highest GROSSING tour in the history of Europe, more than any Rolling Stones Tour. This year, the Rolling Stones have not released any of their concert attendance or gross figures. U2 as usual have released all their and have been doing record breaking business so far. All shows have soldout on the day of sale even in 80,000 seat stadiums in Europe. The demand to see U2 in 2005 far exceeds the number of shows the band are playing.

Since were on the topic of Biggest Band in the World, here are the latest concert attendance and GROSS figures for the Vertigo World Tour up to October 17, 2005:

1ST LEG of VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: NORTH AMERICA

1, 2. San Diego, California : March 28, 30, 2005 : ipayOne Center at the Sports Arena : GROSS $2,909,029 : ATTENDANCE 29,140 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

3, 4. Anaheim, California : April 1-2, 2005 : Arrowhead Pond : GROSS $3,454,198 : ATTENDANCE 33,535 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

5, 6. Los Angeles, California : April 5-6, 2005 : Staples Center : GROSS $3,673,850 : ATTENDANCE 34,527 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

7, 8. San Jose, California : April 9-10, 2005 : HP Pavillion : GROSS $3,357,098 : ATTENDANCE 36,140 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

9, 10. Glendale, Arizona : April 14-15, 2005 : Glendale Arena : GROSS $3,198,861 : ATTENDANCE 34,905 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

11, 12. Denver Colorado : April 20-21, 2005 : Pepsi Center : GROSS $3,509,741 : ATTENDANCE 36,714 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

13, 14. Seattle, Washington : April 24-25, 2005 : Key Arena : GROSS $3,105,574 : ATTENDANCE 30,251 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

15, 16. Vancouver, British Columbia : April 28-29, 2005 : General Motors Place : GROSS $3,020,466 : ATTENDANCE 37,031 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

17, 18, 19, 20. Chicago, Illinois : May 7-12, 2005 : United Center : GROSS $7,541,679 : ATTENDANCE 77,173 : SHOWS 4 : SELLOUTS 4

21, 25. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania : May 14-22, 2005 : Wachovia Center : GROSS $3,767,178 : ATTENDANCE 39,273 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

22, 23. East Rutherford, New Jersey : May 17-18, 2005 : Continental Airlines Arena : GROSS $3,838,066 : ATTENDANCE 40,347 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

24. New York, New York : May 21, 2005 : Madison Square Garden : GROSS $1,907,086 : ATTENDANCE 18,415 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

26, 27, 28. Boston, Mass. : May 24, 26, 28, 2005 : FleetCenter : GROSS $5,071,565 : ATTENDANCE 51,658 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

1ST LEG of VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS

GROSS: $48,354,391
ATTENDANCE: 499,109
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $1,726,942.5
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 17,825
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $96.88
SHOWS: 28
SELLOUTS: 28

2ND LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: EUROPE

29. Brussels, Belgium : June 10, 2005 : Koning Boudewijn Stadion : GROSS $4,864,554 : ATTENDANCE 60,499 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

30. Gelsenkirchen, Germany : June 12, 2005 : Arena AufSchalke : GROSS $4,203,947 : ATTENDANCE 59,120 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

31, 32. Manchester, England : June 14-15, 2005 : City Of Manchester Stadium : GROSS $11,119,740 : ATTENDANCE 107,671 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

33, 34. London, England : June 18-19, 2005 : Twickenham Stadium : GROSS $13,677,410 : ATTENDANCE 110,796 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

35. Glasgow, Scotland : June 21, 2005 : Hampden Park : GROSS $5,819,053 : ATTENDANCE 53,395 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

36, 37, 38. Dublin, Ireland : June 24-25, 27, 2005 : Croke Park : GROSS $21,163,695 : ATTENDANCE 246,743 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

39. Cardiff, Wales : June 29, 2005 : Millennium Stadium : GROSS $6,406,073 : ATTENDANCE 63,677 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

40. Vienna, Austria : July 2, 2005 : Ernst Happel Stadion : GROSS $4,200,416 : ATTENDANCE 55,645 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

41. Chorzow, Poland : July 5, 2005 : Stadion Slaski : GROSS $3,127,416 : ATTENDANCE 64,711 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

42. Berlin, Germany : July 7, 2005 : Olympiastadion : GROSS $4,725,530 : ATTENDANCE 70,443 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

43, 44. Paris, France : July 9-10, 2005 : Stade De France : GROSS $11,822,645 : ATTENDANCE 160,349 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

45, 46, 47. Amsterdam, The Netherlands : July 13, 15-16, 2005 : Amsterdam Arena : GROSS $13,022,200 : ATTENDANCE 165,516 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

48. Zurich, Switzerland : July 18, 2005 : Stadion Letzigrund : GROSS $3,574,993 : ATTENDANCE 44,260 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

49, 50. Milan, Italy : July 20-21, 2005 : Stadio San Siro : GROSS $7,565,264 : ATTENDANCE 137,427 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

51. Rome, Italy : July 23, 2005 : Stadio Olimpico : GROSS $4,010,779 : ATTENDANCE 67,002 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

52. Oslo, Norway : July 27, 2005 : Valle Hovin : GROSS $3,765,136 : ATTENDANCE 40,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

53. Goteborg, Sweden : July 29, 2005 : Ullevi Stadion : GROSS $4,081,864 : ATTENDANCE 58,478 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

54. Copenhagen, Denmark : July 31, 2005 : Parken Stadion : GROSS $3,650,294 : ATTENDANCE 50,000 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

55. Munich, Germany : August 3, 2005 : Olympiastadion : GROSS $5,343,379 : ATTENDANCE 77,435 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

56. Nice, France : August 5, 2005 : Parc des Sports Charles-Ehrmann : GROSS $3,548,702 : ATTENDANCE 51,900 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

57. Barcelona, Spain : August 7, 2005 : Camp Nou : GROSS $5,130,437 : ATTENDANCE 81,269 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

58. San Sebastian, Spain : August 9, 2005 : Estadio de Anoeta : GROSS $2,936,571 : ATTENDANCE 43,720 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

59. Madrid, Spain : August 11, 2005 : Estadio Vicente Calderon : GROSS $3,679,354 : ATTENDANCE 57,040 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

60. Lisbon, Portugal : August 14, 2005 : Estadio Jose Alvalade : GROSS $4,492,762 : ATTENDANCE 55,362 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

2ND LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS

GROSS: $155,932,214
ATTENDANCE: 1,982,458
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $4,872,882
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 61,952
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $78.66
SHOWS: 32
SELLOUTS: 32

3RD LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR: NORTH AMERICA

61, 62, 63, 64. Toronto, Ontario : Sept. 12, 14, 16-17, 2005 : Air Canada Centre : GROSS $7,624,870 : ATTENDANCE 82,572 : SHOWS 4 : SELLOUTS 4

65, 66. Chicago, Illinois : Sept. 20-21, 2005 : United Center : GROSS $3,795,583 : ATTENDANCE 38,815 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

67. Minneapolis, Minn. : Sept. 23, 2005 : Target Center : GROSS $1,823,883 : ATTENDANCE 19,328 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

68. Milwaukee, Wis. : Sept. 25, 2005 : Bradley Center : GROSS $1,782,895 : ATTENDANCE 19,336 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

69, 70. Boston, Mass. : October 3-4, 2005 : TD Banknorth Garden : GROSS $3,381,429 : ATTENDANCE 34,488 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

71, 72, 73, 74, 75. New York, N.Y. : Oct. 7-8, 10-11, 14, 2005 : Madison Square Garden : GROSS $9,658,009 : ATTENDANCE 93,275 : SHOWS 5 : SELLOUTS 5

76, 77. Philadelphia, PA : Oct. 16-17, 2005 : Wachovia Center : GROSS $3,773,053 : ATTENDANCE 39,305 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

3RD LEG OF VERTIGO WORLD TOUR TOTALS TO DATE

GROSS: $31,839,722
ATTENDANCE: 327,119
AVERAGE GROSS PER SHOW: $1,872,924
AVERAGE ATTENDANCE PER SHOW: 19,242
AVERAGE TICKET PRICE: $97.33
SHOWS: 17
SELLOUTS: 17

Combined 1st, 2nd, and 3rd LEG VERTIGO TOUR TOTALS TO DATE October 17, 2005

GROSS: $236,126,327
ATTENDANCE: 2,808,686
SHOWS: 77
SELLOUTS: 77

The remaining 33 shows in North America will likely take the Gross for the whole tour past the $300 million dollar mark by the December 19 Portland show. The band then have the option to do another 30 shows in Europe, shows in South America, Australia, Japan and maybe even a return to the United States all in 2006, pushing the total GROSS of the tour even higher.

In addition, HTDAAB has sold 9.5 million copies worldwide and is one of the 10 biggest selling albums of the last 3 years worldwide! Only two bands have an album that has sold more over the past 3 years and Coldplay is not one of them.

DPrinceNY said:
Lets give some props to Coldplay. They are a good studio band.

Problem is they suck live! There live shows lack emotion and excitement, something that any U2 show undoubtedly has.

totally agree!went to see them in marley park (dublin) on the wednesday before U2 played dublin,i was at the saturday gig no competition!!!!
it will be many a year yet before a comparison could be made,just my opinion for what its worth

STING2 said:

The band then have the option to do another 30 shows in Europe, shows in South America, Australia, Japan and maybe even a return to the United States all in 2006, pushing the total GROSS of the tour even higher.

Have there been rumours of another UNITED STATES LEG???

BECAUSE IF THERE IS!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG!!

----
and where did you get this information about the gross sales, what website?

and oh btw. Coldplay was cool really when they were a british band. That ended after a few months of the release of their 2nd album.

They became a stupid american media darling boy band type pop/alternative poprock... it's no longer britpop like the rest of the britpoppies.

Chris martin needs to be strong behind the microphone. He seems like a sissy.

Utoo said:
Why did this thread get dug up after four months of well-deserved quiet? :huh:
oh I don't know, because U2 fans are morons. :huh:

And I don't give a flying fuck about how much money U2's made or is making. That has got bugger all to do with the quality (or current nonquality) of U2's music.:silent:

How I do so miss the year 2000 when Coldplay first arrived and they got constant criticism for ripping off Radiohead.

Back
Top Bottom