Is U2 game enough to pull off a White Stripes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Would U2 even consider trying to do what the White Stripes did to promote their album which is play 5 nights/ days straight on Conan?

I think that would make up with this long album wait and be pretty cool. Of course it would be U2 "following" the White Stripes, but it would be a cool promotional thing.

:)

Seriously, I bet Conan would be all for it...

Supposedly, Conan, Carson Daly, and Kilbourne really want U2 to come on their respective shows and play... like really in demand for U2. I read this from last week's Entertainment Weekly...

Leno and Letterman want the Stones...

I've read people bash U2 going to places such as TRL, awards shows, and late night shows to promote ATYCLB. IMO, I would love to see U2 do this again.

I dunno. Fans would love it, and then again maybe some would hate it and then some people would probably view it as overkill/over exposure.

Funny you mention the White Stripes. Here's what Bono said about them during the Much Music interview:

"I remember when, you know, when bands came through, and I remember the feeling that somebody was really on it, and, you know, I can remember when Nirvana came through. I remember when I heard the Pixies. The White Stripes are like that right now. It's like Jack White, there's really something going on there. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club... I'm not uncomfortable in their company. If I thought we had made our best records and we were on cruise control out to the airport here, I would jump out the door...while [the car] was moving. I don't want to be in that band. Right now, we've got it going on."

So there you go, the man himself mentioned U2 in the same breath!

Last edited:
Those shows are so cheesy - ergh! One appearance is enough, even for our boys.

Most artists do the rounds anyway: Leno, Letterman, Conan and the Today show just to make sure they canvas every timeslot. At least Matt Lauer seems interested when he interviews people!

Surely they'll do that won't they? It's pretty much the same as if they did the same show over & over. ( and probably seems like it to them too) ;)

Cheers ~Ultra

Someone tried to convince me that Meg White was a better drummer than Larry and I was like :shame: we are not proceeding with this discussion on your way.

That said I have thought it would be kind of cool to see U2 do seven nation army... :reject:

Overexposure? U2, besides Bono is barely on the news. Electrical Storm and The Hands That Built America IMO barely registered with the mainstream, although they did win an Oscar, right.

What the Stripes did was cool. 5 nights with 5 different songs. I think they were all from the new album at the time. Of course U2 will probably make the rounds on the shows, but they always play the single. Its the single, single, single... 5 nights with 5 different songs = promoting an album IMO...

Conan's a fellow Irishmen and the bands he puts on his show are pretty cool.

U2 and White Stripe covers = No way though.

Screw being too big... mebbe they can do it on Letterman or Leno, instead. Be the world's biggest house band for one week.

TiaraGurl said:
Someone tried to convince me that Meg White was a better drummer than Larry and I was like :shame: we are not proceeding with this discussion on your way.

That said I have thought it would be kind of cool to see U2 do seven nation army... :reject:

Sounds like a joke. Meg falls out of time all over their records. Larry can play circles around her.

Despite U2's foundness for calling themselves a "punk rock band" they won't do something like this. While it might be semi-punk to appear on a late night talk show 5x in a row, it would be inconvinent and barely worth the time. Conan average, what...2.5 million viewers per night; and most of those are repeat viewers. It would make sense if every single person watching bought the new album, but that's not going to happen.

I think they should play anytime/any place, but I doubt they'd go for it. ---And sure, Conan, Craig and Carson would love them to play on their shows; it would sell higher priced advertising. Who is surprised by THAT revelation? :)

If they're going to appear on a chat show like that, I would rather it be for one night, they play 2-3 songs and the host talks to them for a while.

Danospano said:
Despite U2's foundness for calling themselves a "punk rock band" they won't do something like this.

What's so punk rock about playing on a TV host show?
If I remember correctly, U2 got quite some flak - even here, with fans - for playing TRL and Letterman, for example when they promoted the previous album. Yet virtually all musicians do all kinds of things to promote their new material.

*edit* instead of playing at one hosted TV show for several days, it's better to do what they did and play several TV shows instead and capture more possible new fans in the masses.

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:

U2 and White Stripe covers = No way though.

Okay maybe I had a momentary lapse of reason. :shrug:

Audioslave did it and it was kinda cool but for the moment I will leave it alone.

U2 need to build up hype and promote their new album. They aren't like they were in 1992. They have to work a little harder to promote their albums now. They didn't promote Pop, and it did poorly. On the flip side, they promoted the shit out of ATYCLB, and it did very well. They will promote this new album. I think it's necessary, unless they don't want to sell albums.

springsteen played 2 nights on letterman, and has shown up on conan a few times (thanks max)... pearl jam, who rarely does any kind of publicity for their albums, played 2 nights on letterman. i don't see what the problem is :shrug:

if u2 is smart, they'd do the same thing... hook up with letterman for a 2 show gig. dave tapes thursday night's show and friday night's show both on thursday. so when they have a big musical act on for 2 nights, it's really just a one day thing. i think u2 would be stupid not to do it.

even let 'em play leno... even though leno's more lame than TRL in my opinion, if ya can believe that

Headache in a Suitcase said:
even let 'em play leno... even though leno's more lame than TRL in my opinion, if ya can believe that

i believe it

conan is king

I dunno... MTV, Vh1, Grammies, Saturday Night Live, TRL, etc.... Beautiful Day was all we heard, it took about a year for them to start playing other songs but that was when other singles were released... I think Letterman was lucky to get New York and TRL let them play a bunch of songs...

Wow, some people don't want to see U2 play a whole bunch of new songs on TV as a band, huh?

I know U2 might be too big to do it, but screw being too big... they "whored" themeselves out last time... they should go for broke.

Conan is a fellow Irishman and he rules the late late night.

"U2 could start/ be associated with a rock movement like the White Stripes."

There... the White Stripes & U2 in the same sentence...

Why not mention the White Stripes in the same sentence? I didn't make any claim of Jack and Meg being as great as U2 or something...

I want to see/ hear U2 do something, alah K-Mart, to get the promoting underway...

Mebbe if they do it unannounced on Conan? Wouldn't that be a surprise...

UltraVelvet said:
At least Matt Lauer seems interested when he interviews people!

Cheers ~Ultra

Matt Lauer's an idiot. You're probably mistaking interest for dumbfoundedness as to how Katie Couric is still the draw on his rating-plummeting snoozefest morning show and not him in spite of his darish good looks. Please don't try and give U2's credibility a bump by linking them with Today. They're not even the top morning show anymore.

Nostradamus

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom