Is U2 3D U2's biggest "release flop"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hallucination said:
reaks of a mickey mouse, rinky dink operation. The way it's been handled is pathetic.

Pathetic is putting it mildly. But don't listen to the naysayers in this thread, they'll have you believe that this was all part of the plan from day 1, and that this movie was made and released for the elite group of U2 fans they just happen to belong to. You clearly aren't a special enough U2 fan, that's all there is to it - this is a message from U2, they just don't like you!

On second thought, no, that's bullshit. U2 likely is not happy about the way this is going down. I'd like to think that, anyways...

Hallucination said:
Their problem is they didn't have a wide release. This limited realse thing was bullshit to begin with. The mere fact that it's not playing in either Calgary or Edmonton at all speaks volumes as to the faliure that was the marketing for this. Not knowing where it's playing, when it's playing, if it's playing reaks of a mickey mouse, rinky dink operation. The way it's been handled is pathetic.

Have you checked out this thread?

http://forum.interference.com/t184146.html

audience_u23d.jpg

ya'd think they'd get better seats? :tsk:

I saw it last night in Minneapolis....I was expecting the theater to be filled...but...

there were only 5 people! It was kinda sad...a nice, big theater with only 5 people..Which was okay with me, because then I didn't have to be bothered by people walking in front, talking on cell phones, singing...ect.

Fantastic show though! Feels like you're actually there.

Buffalo.... I just went to go see it tonight.
It was pretty packed. No line or anything.

But it wasn't shown in the IMAX, it was a regular screen, with the glasses. So I was kinda disappointed.

I was actually surprised people were there...

Joey788 said:
I think that U2 mainly created this film for us, the fans. I don't think they created this film to make a large profit. It's just a gift to the fans for sticking by them and a chance for those who missed them on tour to get a taste of what it felt like.

I think you're exactly right. There is a little "Thank You" message in the credits that says the film is for all the fams that have stuck with them. I have never been to a U2 show, so count me as one that really appreciates this movie!

ImOuttaControl said:
I saw it last night in Minneapolis....I was expecting the theater to be filled...but...

there were only 5 people! It was kinda sad...a nice, big theater with only 5 people..Which was okay with me, because then I didn't have to be bothered by people walking in front, talking on cell phones, singing...ect.

Fantastic show though! Feels like you're actually there.

There were only six people in the theater - counting me - when I saw it yesterday. But it was 4:00 in the afternoon and I don't exactly live in U2-fan-ville.

i saw a commercial on tv last night... at 1am on comedy central. i always have the tv on, first time i saw a commercial for it.

Geesh, all the stone faces in that theater...and the band is in there with them! I could not stop smiling when I was watching the movie. I looked around and EVERYONE else was smiling or bopping along with the music. The band needs to go to a showing in a smaller town that is not a premire...and see how much everyone is really enjoying the movie!

Rachel D. said:

I think you're exactly right. There is a little "Thank You" message in the credits that says the film is for all the fams that have stuck with them.

There were only six people in the theater - counting me - when I saw it yesterday. But it was 4:00 in the afternoon and I don't exactly live in U2-fan-ville.

You do realize the contradiction here, right?

LyricalDrug said:

Yup! I think that sums it up. This was a small release, in a limited number of theaters. Basically, it was U2 playing in the technological/new media sandbox, having fun, and giving their fans a real treat in the process.
which is basically what some people here have been crying for
U2 to do something for the sake of it instead of for money / recognition / whatever

not that anything will remotely please these people

if the internet had existed in the time of Mark Chapman he wouldn't have had the time to find a gun because of all the fan sites/blogs etc he'd have had to litter

i hope you're not referring to me because I don't care how 'commercial' the 'elitists' perceive U2 to be, if that's what you mean. If anything, this release should have been done way better. I say it for the thousandth time: IF THIS IS FOR THE FANS, THEN WHY ISN'T IT PLAYING, FOR THE FANS???

btw - sorry, I think that Mark Chapman reference is poor taste.

I wasn't referring to anyone in particular

and I already watered down the first Mark Chapman I was gonna post so to not hurt any tender souls

it wasn't a joke
it was a reference on what spending too much energy on our idols can lead to

if you can't make the difference between that and random hitler jokes than that's your problem, not mine

once again
i was not attacking you
it was a general statement offerering simple reference on wasting too much energy on the negative isn't a good thing

Salome said:

what spending too much energy on our idols can lead to

I agree. My mistake then, I thought you meant it a different way.

..altho, Im not sure what it really has to do with the aim of this thread, which is to highlight that if U2 3D is truly for the fans, why then are most U2 fans in Canada not going to get to see it properly..

Last edited:
gabrielvox said:

..altho, Im not sure what it really has to do with the aim of this thread, which is to highlight that if U2 3D is truly for the fans, why then are most U2 fans in Canada not going to get to see it properly..

Does U2 really have much say in where exactly the movie gets played? I'm asking that as an actual question. I don't know how movies work, but I imagine the theaters have some say, a promotion company.....? Maybe U2 wanted it to play in Canada but it's not really up to them?

Anything I've said that hinted at U2 not wanting Canada to see it is pure sarcasm. Of course they want us to see it.

You should take a look at some of the threads, there has been endless communication and passing the buck back and forth between Cineplex and Natl Geographic.

The bottom line is, someone signed a deal with Nat'l Geographic, and the distribution got fucked up royally, at least for Canada.

And I even more firmly believe that now after just returning from wasting $50 to take my kids to see it in one of only two theatres in Ontario to show it. It sucked. The sound sucked, and the video was small, and took ALOT away from the experience. What a joke.

u2 loves canada

gabriel i dont know where you went but i just saw u2 3d last week at empire cinemas in north york and the whole experience was fkin good. sound was amazing and the picture quality was too good...

Back
Top Bottom