Is U2 3D U2's biggest "release flop"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4U2Play said:
Two MORE times this weekend??!!

GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY!!!

Only the film's editor has seen it more times than you!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

lol...I figure I'll stop when I have seen it as many times as I have seen them live (look at profile for that info)....

Oh geez...look what we did now...we hijacked Gabriel's thread.....:giggle:

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:
I have seen it 0 times. :happy:

Yeah me too. But I'm not happy about it. :madspit:
I've seen the trailer commercial 10 times, just today - before work and at lunch. That's cruel and unsual punishment.
Somebody's gonna get hurt.
:mad:

(before homeland security hauls me away: I'm all talk:wink: )

Last edited:
FWIW I just saw a commercial for U23D on VH1 Classic that played up all the great reviews it has been getting. I know, VH1 Classic doesn't have a huge audience, but given that channel's target audience, it's a great way to reach people who would potentially be interested in seeing U23D.

4U2Play said:
If the Aussies were real U2 fans, they would all fly to Johannesburg to see the film instead of waiting 15 years for the film to get to them.

Kangaroos can't hop that far. Do you want the poor kangaroos to drown in the Indian Ocean?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
How can we even talk numbers when it's been a very limited release?:huh:

exactly. this thread's too long for me to read right now as i'm going out but i'll just say i agree with this, plus the film was made to experiment with the 3D technology, not make a banging profit so i don't really see the whole flop thing as 'relevant' to be honest..

gabrielvox said:
:banghead: :banghead:

Can I respectfully request a moderator to please change the title of this thread?

Something like "U2 3D release - Canada getting snubbed?"

and people, please read a bit, I'm not saying this is a flop, poor choice of words. I'm discussing in the context of the Canadian release schedule (or lack thereof). Thanks.

hey did you realize canada had a military? i just found this out like a week ago... stunning, i know. all this time i just thought they were protected by a herd of ill-tempered moose.

It was selling out most shows at my local IMAX for weeks, and then they randomly replaced it with Spiderwick, not splitting showtimes but replaced, NG didn't seem to push it much, there was some newspaper advertising, but no video ads or TV spots, it was in a limited release within a type of theater that's limited as it is. The Hannah Montana release prevented them from expanding it to Digital 3D theaters, but now that's done with really, and NG isn't pushing it? Its an innovative concert film, well received by the fans that knew about it and music people, it was never going to be a blockbuster but it should have been released a lot better.

Joey788 said:
I think that U2 mainly created this film for us, the fans. I don't think they created this film to make a large profit. It's just a gift to the fans for sticking by them and a chance for those who missed them on tour to get a taste of what it felt like.

Yup! I think that sums it up. This was a small release, in a limited number of theaters. Basically, it was U2 playing in the technological/new media sandbox, having fun, and giving their fans a real treat in the process.

LyricalDrug said:

This was a small release, in a limited number of theaters. Basically, it was U2 playing in the technological/new media sandbox, having fun, and giving their fans a real treat in the process.

Well that's an interesting theory, however on the basis of number of theatres in the US alone carrying it, without merit.

Pretty surprising, this prevalent attitude of
'we're the only U2 fans'. Because if you even stop to think about how many U2 fans there are, the notion that this was some special release in a handful of theatres to 'thank the fans' becomes completely ludicrous. Maybe y'all think it was a treat for Elite U2 Fans? :tsk:

lovveu2 said:
Well it could be argued that the people in Davenport, Iowa or Cleveland, Ohio are getting a raw deal too..... and last I checked they are both cities in the USA.....

You take it back...right now! It's opening in Cleveland tomorrow!

unico said:
they* like to call on the guard when it snows

*elfa

Don't start with me woman! :angry:

Hold on though, there already is a thread about this and you decided to start another one with a really stupid (and irrelevant) title and then complain because you get yelled at? wtf...

And this crap about Canada getting a raw deal? :blahblah:

As a fellow Canadian (and Torontonian) I have to say: dude, where have you been living? Under a rock? Of course we don't get as good a deal as the US with shit like this!

Life sucks, get a helmet...

elevated_u2_fan said:

Hold on though, there already is a thread about this and you decided to start another one with a really stupid (and irrelevant) title and then complain because you get yelled at? wtf..

As a fellow Canadian (and Torontonian) I have to say: dude, where have you been living? Under a rock? Of course we don't get as good a deal as the US with shit like this!

Ok, I'll respond in kind, why not:

Your response is crap. It's stupid and irrelevant because I'm not complaining because I'm being yelled at (like I care) but because the 'reasons' being given fly in the face of fact and common sense. In short, like yours, they are garbage responses aimed more at me than at the subject at hand.

I think the only person who's been living under a rock is you man. You do realize we got more U2 shows last tour than alot of US cities, right? And that we have more IMAX and/or 3D capable cinemas per capita than any other city in North America, right? Give your head a shake, it's complete bullshit how Nat'l Geographic and/or Cineplex is handling this.

Last edited:
Their problem is they didn't have a wide release. This limited realse thing was bullshit to begin with. The mere fact that it's not playing in either Calgary or Edmonton at all speaks volumes as to the faliure that was the marketing for this. Not knowing where it's playing, when it's playing, if it's playing reaks of a mickey mouse, rinky dink operation. The way it's been handled is pathetic.

Last edited:
Joey788 said:
I think that U2 mainly created this film for us, the fans. I don't think they created this film to make a large profit. It's just a gift to the fans for sticking by them and a chance for those who missed them on tour to get a taste of what it felt like.

what's hilarious about that is U2 skipped Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba last tour. Excluding Vancouver that's all of Canada west of Ontario. And now the only place to get the movie is Winnipeg. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm bitter or whining, I'm really pissed that I didn't get a concert anywhere near here last tour and now U2 3D isn't showing anywhere near here either. The closest place is Vancouver which would require thousands of KM in driving and take 4 days minimum + hotels. Or flying! haha! Unbeliveable that if I want to see this film, I, along with others have to go about it that way. It simply should've been a wide release all at the same time.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Don't start with me woman! :angry:

Hold on though, there already is a thread about this and you decided to start another one with a really stupid (and irrelevant) title and then complain because you get yelled at? wtf...

Bravo!

Hallucination said:

what's hilarious about that is U2 skipped Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba last tour. Excluding Vancouver that's all of Canada west of Ontario. And now the only place to get the movie is Winnipeg. I don't care if anyone thinks I'm bitter or whining, I'm really pissed that I didn't get a concert anywhere near here last tour and now U2 3D isn't showing anywhere near here either. The closest place is Vancouver which would require thousands of KM in driving and take 4 days minimum + hotels. Or flying! haha! Unbeliveable that if I want to see this film, I, along with others have to go about it that way. It simply should've been a wide release all at the same time.

But according to the press releases, this was supposed to be a movie for fans in markets that U2 might not play in! You must be mistaken, you've clearly missed the bigger plan here!

On second thought, sadly, you're entirely right, this is utter bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom