Is U2 3D U2's biggest "release flop"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2isthebest said:

The next album is going to be called "America's Hat" and feature a song about Canadian beer and moose. So, don't feel bad.:hug:

*this is all true.

lol

Actually U2 did really well when you look at the numbers.
i don't have them in front of me but we had a discussion in the office as we read the Trade magazines and they did better than expected.
Why are people so quick to be negative?

:banghead: :banghead:

Can I respectfully request a moderator to please change the title of this thread?

Something like "U2 3D release - Canada getting snubbed?"

and people, please read a bit, I'm not saying this is a flop, poor choice of words. I'm discussing in the context of the Canadian release schedule (or lack thereof). Thanks.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Of course U2 wants to be in these markets, but they can't right now. They are limited right now, by technology, by theaters, and by the market. Of course you can outline specifics of where, but you can't outline the specifics for how long... That's just not how films work.

I think the person with less grasp on this situation is you. Do you even realize how many 3D capable cinemas I have within 50 km of my house? There are 4 or 5 IMAXs, not to mention smaller Digital 3D cinemas, one of them even has more than one Digital 3D capable screening room. Listen to me carefully: I was told by an executive of the company that controls the majority of those cinemas, in writing, that because of late notice from National Geographic, there is no scheduling room for basically the rest of 2008 for IMAX screens in Ontario. And also. that because of Hannah Montana's numbers, there are no plans in the near future for a wide release to Digital 3D capable cinemas. What is so hard to understand here, we're not getting the movie, basically! Let's say you live in New York, and the entire tri-state area is not getting U23D. That is the equivalent of what is happening in Toronto....you tell me you wouldn't be a bit upset, as a U2 fan waiting for a movie that was apparently created for U2 fans. :huh:

gabrielvox said:

Can I respectfully request a moderator to please change the title of this thread?

and people, please read a bit, I'm not saying this is a flop, poor choice of words. I'm discussing in the context of the Canadian release schedule (or lack thereof). Thanks.

:wink: The mods enjoy watching you squirm. But don't take it personally, it's just a fact of most forums. :drool:

gabrielvox said:

you tell me you wouldn't be a bit upset, as a U2 fan waiting for a movie that was apparently created for U2 fans. :huh:

LOL...but you've seen the movie and can see it again when you come to the U.S.A ( in less then a week I might add)

:madspit: !

(i don't think I should mention here that I have seen it 24 times...might make someone's head :combust: )

Well I was going to mention that I can see it any old time I want in the US, but I didn't start this thread for myself only...you're absolutely right, I have plenty of oppportunity to see it again. The other hundreds of thousands if not millions of U2 fans in Canada do not, however.

Well it could be argued that the people in Davenport, Iowa or Cleveland, Ohio are getting a raw deal too..... and last I checked they are both cities in the USA.....

gabrielvox said:

Sorry, but when you use the words "biggest flop" you are most definitely going to get the grief you asked for. Hopefully, you learned your lesson. You should've thought several times before clicking on "submit", but you didn't.

MrPryck2U said:

Hopefully, you learned your lesson. You should've thought several times before clicking on "submit", but you didn't.

Are you for real? Ohnoes, I posted a thread with a slightly misleading title. My life shall now end. :rolleyes:

Not my fault people can't read more than 3 posts in to get a grasp on how the discussion has evolved. :shrug:

gabrielvox said:

Are you for real? Ohnoes, I posted a thread with a slightly misleading title. My life shall now end. :rolleyes:

Not my fault people can't read more than 3 posts in to get a grasp on how the discussion has evolved. :shrug:

You saying "slightly misleading title" is the biggest understatement of the week.

It is your fault, but life goes on.

gabrielvox said:

I think the person with less grasp on this situation is you. Do you even realize how many 3D capable cinemas I have within 50 km of my house? There are 4 or 5 IMAXs, not to mention smaller Digital 3D cinemas, one of them even has more than one Digital 3D capable screening room. Listen to me carefully: I was told by an executive of the company that controls the majority of those cinemas, in writing, that because of late notice from National Geographic, there is no scheduling room for basically the rest of 2008 for IMAX screens in Ontario. And also. that because of Hannah Montana's numbers, there are no plans in the near future for a wide release to Digital 3D capable cinemas. What is so hard to understand here, we're not getting the movie, basically! Let's say you live in New York, and the entire tri-state area is not getting U23D. That is the equivalent of what is happening in Toronto....you tell me you wouldn't be a bit upset, as a U2 fan waiting for a movie that was apparently created for U2 fans. :huh:

I understand your predicament, but you said it yourself "there is no scheduling room", but most of your bitching in this thread makes you sound like U2 had more control over this than they do. They simply don't. Sorry.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I understand your predicament, but you said it yourself "there is no scheduling room", but most of your bitching in this thread makes you sound like U2 had more control over this than they do. They simply don't. Sorry.

So your conclusion is that they were so desperate for a distributor that they signed on to one that would put together a haphazard (at best) release schedule with little advance notice to theatres and practically no marketing campaign? No way.

gabrielvox said:
:shh: Don't tell those guys over in you-know-where....I'm gonna hit that shit rite and corner the Atlanta, Germany Powerjuice market...they'll never see it coming..

I just moved to Altanta, Germany. :shifty: Your secret is safe with me.

We're going to have to do a much better job of hiding this thing, Gabe. :uhoh:

gabrielvox said:

So your conclusion is that they were so desperate for a distributor that they signed on to one that would put together a haphazard (at best) release schedule with little advance notice to theatres and practically no marketing campaign? No way.

No, my conclusion is that you have only half the story, you have "in writing" from an executive that National Geographic was "late".

You've taken this half of the story and painted the whole story and decided to take this one person's side. All we know is he could be covering someone else's ass...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No, my conclusion is that you have only half the story, you have "in writing" from an executive that National Geographic was "late".

You've taken this half of the story and painted the whole story and decided to take this one person's side. All we know is he could be covering someone else's ass...

You need to read the other thread. I said over there that I fully thought he was full of shit, yet he doesn't need to be full of shit about the statement 'due to the Hannah Montana numbers there are no plans in the - EDIT: he said "near" - future for a wider release of U2 3D' - that has a higher likelihood of being true, and it's largely due to the way the intial limited release 2 week run was done in one cinema in Toronto. THEY made the decision not to carry it further, based upon what has been ruled - and I agree, it is - the completely asinine comparision btwn a short release at said one cinema vs what happened for Hannah Montana.

None of your counterpoints account for or changes that we are not getting this movie released in any significant fashion in Ontario. That's what this is about, and how it looks like it could happen elsewhere, too...

Last edited:
lovveu2 said:
i don't think I should mention here that I have seen it 24 times...might make someone's head :combust: )

You've seen U23D twenty four times???

Twenty Four???!!!

DAMN YOU!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!

Signed,
Canada
(and Australia)
:banghead:

4U2Play said:

You've seen U23D twenty four times???

Twenty Four???!!!

DAMN YOU!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!

Signed,
Canada
(and Australia)
:banghead:

lol...thank you...at this point hell has to to warming then Chicago...

BTW I will see it two more time this weekend....

Two MORE times this weekend??!!

GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY!!!

Only the film's editor has seen it more times than you!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom