Is Thom Yorke (Radiohead) a better singer than Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's another question:

How/why do singers lose their falsetto? It seems to happen to a lot of them. :huh:

Zoomerang96 said:

yeah, i figured what i said would go over you.

i was being ridiculous in that post for fun, it was easy to tell.

but then again, there's a great deal of people who think im serious when i brag about getting an allowance from my parents, so i'm not entirely surprised.

Regardless if you were being serious or not, this thread has come down to which band they like the most.

It's a shame we couldn't actually discuss the ability of the two singers, but I guess a neutral forum would be much better suited.

at least this turned out better than Bono vs. Freddie Round 1.

no ridiculous words have been invented yet!

LemonMacPhisto said:
at least this turned out better than Bono vs. Freddie Round 1.

no ridiculous words have been invented yet!

Nor have their sexual preferences been brought into question. :wink:

I love Radiohead. But I dig the innovation over the vocals.

Thom's voice has great range in a certain direction, but it grates on you after a while.

To be fair, Bono hasn't laid off the damn cigarrettes and red wine,

SIDE NOTE: why has Adam Sandler not done a Thom Yorke impersonation yet? He's got the same vocal quality, he could nail it and do something funny. (think back to vocal tones on such songs as "I love you mommaaaaaa!"

dietcokeofevil said:
I love Radiohead. But I dig the innovation over the vocals.

Thom's voice has great range in a certain direction, but it grates on you after a while.

To be fair, Bono hasn't laid off the damn cigarrettes and red wine,

SIDE NOTE: why has Adam Sandler not done a Thom Yorke impersonation yet? He's got the same vocal quality, he could nail it and do something funny. (think back to vocal tones on such songs as "I love you mommaaaaaa!"

has sandler even heard of radiohead?

LemonMelon said:
Here's another question:

How/why do singers lose their falsetto? It seems to happen to a lot of them. :huh:

More than likely it's just wear, with age and overuse.

But if you have forced the vocal cords too far apart so you need to use too much air to get them to vibrate the pitch then you've actually lost your falsetto.

Hearing WITS Bono hasn't lost it, he's just lost "control" of it.

LemonMacPhisto said:

has sandler even heard of radiohead?

Hey, Radiohead isn't like Arcade Fire; people actually know who Radiohead is. They played at the MTV Beach House that one time ( :lol: ), and Karma Police was on a Now CD...

definitely not

this thread was a bad idea though

but i say bono has a better voice than both yorke and bellamy. I love Radiohead but Yorke can be grating, and really Bellamy sounds like he's trying too hard to sound like Thom. when he doesn't go overboard his voice is quite good though

I'm back to save the univerrrrrrrr.... He can't finish the end of a word often which is irritating.

bono_man said:
They are like apples and oranges.

I love both singers so very much. I like how Bono's voice has gone through stages over the years. Thom's hasnt changed too much since the band began though I am sure its stronger now.

I love the way Thom uses his voice as an instrument, a very beautiful instrument. I love it in Knives Out when he goes: "look into myeyyyyeeessss".

So yes, chalk and cheese. Apples and oranges.

I guess its all a matter of preference!

Thank you. spot on.

This is like comparing apples & oranges, not really valid.
Someone who has a killer voice to me is Jeff Martin (ex Tea Party). Awesomely powerful baritone that never falters live.

Gimme Bono's voice anyday over Yorkie's. Gimme Liam Gallagher's voice anyday over Yorkie's.

That is not to say that Yorkie's voice is unlistenable, it's just not as enjoyable for me on a personal level.

Bono is better. Fact.

.....without having read any of the other comments.....i just think its a daft question....though anything that gets people talking is cool , i guess......2 different voices...2 different bands...both great singers..both great bands....why compare? Lets just celebrate the fact that we have them! Lets face it , the charts would be a pretty dire place without their influence.

In a word no. Bono has far better range and is a far more adaptable singer than Thom Cat. At times Yorke just wails and is inaudible! Still quite like some of their stuff tho.

i'm sure on this forum the clear majority would also say bono's got a better voice than jeck buckley ever did.

Zoomerang96 said:
i'm sure on this forum the clear majority would also say bono's got a better voice than jeck buckley ever did.

they would :lol:

c'mon this forum declared Adam Clayton a better bass player than flea :|

If we posed this question on a Radiohead forum, they would just make fun of Bono's politics, and ignore his actual musical talents so that's useless too. :|

LemonMelon said:
If we posed this question on a Radiohead forum, they would just make fun of Bono's politics, and ignore his actual musical talents so that's useless too. :|

but of course:|

there' no right way to go about this
:|

Matt Bellamy is a poor man's Thom Yorke. Just like Muse is a poor man's Radiohead.

Thom is not even close to having the power and warmth of Bono's voice.

But really, Thom's voice is so special that comparing it to any other voice (other than voices that belong to people like Matt Bellamy that try to sound like him) is rather silly.

It's totally apples and oranges here.

What's next? Michael Stipe vs. Frank Sinatra?

Back
Top Bottom