Is this true...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I heard on the news that Bono didn't have a hat he wanted during a concert, so he payed $1,700 dollars to have it shipped to him in time for the concert.

Great thing for a spokesman against poverty to do :|

shart1780 said:
I heard on the news that Bono didn't have a hat he wanted during a concert, so he payed $1,700 dollars to have it shipped to him in time for the concert.

$1,700 for Bono is probably the equivalent of a candy bar or bag of chips for you. :shrug:

Well, in a third world country it's the equivalent of a ferrari!

I'm not saying I'm not guilty of spending more money than is practical on certain things, just seems silly considering the influence he has.

Yes, because someone campaigning against poverty should send every penny they have to the cause, and live in a mud hut, wearing potato sacks.

Oh brother. Some people will praise Bono to their grave. There is a line people like Bono need to draw when he's preaching to the world how to use their money.

While I find this pathetically vain, I don't see it as being relevant to his integrity as an antipoverty campaigner.

shart1780 said:
Oh brother. Some people will praise Bono to their grave. There is a line people like Bono need to draw when he's preaching to the world how to use their money.

I kinda agree with this. It does leave a bit of a sour taste when he is wasting money like that and then next minute preaching about 3rd world poverty. But then you'll not get any takers on here being a fanbase and "love bono whatever he does" forum kinda thing!:wink:

who the hell charges $1700 to ship a hat? Man, has UPS and Fed Ex gotten that expensive since the last time I've used them? I don't think this story has any veracity to it at all.

randhail said:
who the hell charges $1700 to ship a hat? Man, has UPS and Fed Ex gotten that expensive since the last time I've used them? I don't think this story has any veracity to it at all.

Bono's limousine driver!:wink:

shart1780 said:

First of all - this is most likely not a true story. These rumors reappear every few months in one form or another. They are designed to make Bono look bad. I seem to remember one version from last tour that had Bono spending $20,000 to send his private jet back to Dublin to pick up his favorite pair of boots because he forgot them at home.

Secondly - so what if it is true? Bono has dedicated years of his life and spent who-knows-how-much of his own money working for aid to Africa. So if he wants to live in a mansion in the south of France and spend some of his cash on frivolous things, then I say - you go for it B-Man! You've earned it and you deserve it!

shart, ever been to Africa? I doubt it. I'll tell you something, when I was there I could've given all my spending money to a poor person, but guess what, there wouldn't be anything for that person to spend it on. Yeah, it's THAT bad. No clean water, no health care, no access to any basic needs for survival. So, say whatever you want, but you're wrong. And if Bono can't buy a hat without taking shit, I guess I can safely assume you don't own an iPod, a computer, a game system, a TV, a cell phone etc, etc. otherwise that would be mighty hypocritical of you.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
And if Bono can't buy a hat without taking shit, I guess I can safely assume you don't own an iPod, a computer, a game system, a TV, a cell phone etc, etc. otherwise that would be mighty hypocritical of you.

Yeah but shartman doesn't go around spouting about the poverty in Africa while being worth £150 million, does he now?:wink:

Anyway stories about Bono. I heard that Bono had a right hissy fit when backstage at one gig the sandwiches were too small and the ham was hanging out the side!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
Yeah but shartman doesn't go around spouting about the poverty in Africa while being worth £150 million, does he now?:wink:

So only the poor can try and help the poor?

rjhbonovox said:

You know, putting a smiley face on a stupid comment doesn't make it any less stupid. I guess you would prefer if wealthy people like Bono and Bill Gates just ignored all the world's poor and lived their lives completely selfishly, wouldn't you? Yes, that would be much better.

rjhbonovox said:

I should hope not b/c he obviously doesn't know shit about it.

It's called structural poverty for a reason.

Zootomic said:

You know, putting a smiley face on a stupid comment doesn't make it any less stupid. I guess you would prefer if wealthy people like Bono and Bill Gates just ignored all the world's poor and lived their lives completely selfishly, wouldn't you? Yes, that would be much better.

Oh come on. If they are really concerned about Africa then why don't they donate all their money to helping the people. It kinda rankles a bit when they are worth so much and are all the time preaching. Still thats my opinion and I am entitled to it.:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

Oh come on. If they are really concerned about Africa then why don't they donate all their money to helping the people. It kinda rankles a bit when they are worth so much and are all the time preaching. Still thats my opinion and I am entitled to it.:wink:

Did you not read what I said? It's called structural poverty for a reason. If you won the lottery everyday for a year and donated every penny before taxes to "Africa" in general, you wouldn't even make a sorry dent. You can't buy health care, you can't buy infrastructure, you can't buy education. Those take time and resources....stable gov't, stable economics....you have to develop this cycle. Fortunately, there are people like Bono with enough brains to recognize this and enough balls to actually get out there and try to make this happen, rather than anonymously donate a couple hundred thousand euros to X-nonprofit org and feel better about himself for the rest of his life.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

Did you not read what I said? It's called structural poverty for a reason. If you won the lottery everyday for a year and donated every penny before taxes to "Africa" in general, you wouldn't even make a sorry dent. You can't buy health care, you can't buy infrastructure, you can't buy education. Those take time and resources....stable gov't, stable economics....you have to develop this cycle. Fortunately, there are people like Bono with enough brains to recognize this and enough balls to actually get out there and try to make this happen, rather than anonymously donate a couple hundred thousand euros to X-nonprofit org and feel better about himself for the rest of his life.

I read what you said. I have this big concern with all this aid for Africa as it just goes to corrupt governments to buy the biggest palaces while their people live in shit. There is a hell of a lot of corruption in these african governments just look at the Mugabe regime. Not the peoples fault but how can you keep giving aid to countries when it goes to corrupt governments. I was watching an interview Bono gave about this on Newsnight and these were the very same questions Jeremy Paxman was asking Bono about. Bono was answering and saying all the right things but will that part of the world ever change when there is such corruption.:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom