Is this the worst comment ever......?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
typhoon said:
Did you really need to quote that whole thing to add a three-word comment? Did you really?

U2's only written around 100-150 songs (no, covers and solo projects don't count, much as U2 fans love to bring them out when talking about "diversity"; I remember someone here talking about how impressive it was that Bono did "Ave Maria," a "classical" song, probably not knowing that Paul McCartney has done entire albums of original classical work).

So you'd have to think every one out of two or three songs they've done was a classic to come up with a comparable list, which is how you get ridiculous things like "Numb" and "Discotheque" on roy's list.

Which was, incidentally, only 37 items long to my 52 (which already disproves KUEFC09U2's claim that "u will find the same number of U2 songs"); U2's had an extra twenty years, and you'd still have to scrape the barrel to come up with a comparable list.

Oh, and I was only listing their better known songs. Roy's list had a lot of obscure songs like "One Tree Hill" and "Miss Sarajevo." If I were going for resonance or such, I would've included some favorites like "For No One" or "Julia" and had an even longer list. Face it, these guys aren't getting touched (especially with U2 rolling out albums once every four years now); the only band that can compare is the Rolling Stones.

All I'm saying is, it's fine to like U2 better, but it's stupid to say the Beatles have been surpassed and are irrelevant now. They haven't, and they aren't. It's not like people still listen to their music because "it's classic, it's important, it's whatever"; their music still survives because it's honestly that fucking good.

And someone earlier was going off on this completely off-topic rant about how a band has to break up to have classics (really, so "Sympathy for the Devil" isn't a classic yet?) or how people complain U2 is too poppy now (only the indie dorks who think their music needs to be "obscure" and "experimental" to be good; I think their latter work is as good as anything they've done). No one had brought up any of these points before in the discussion, so I don't know WTF he was going on about.

:bow:

I may have to hire you as a spokesperson, typhoon :wink:

Last edited:
thrillme said:

U2's legacy will be as an amazing live band. People may not be as familiar with U2's songs as Beatles songs, but when U2 go on tour, it's not a secret. People who aren't even big U2 fans try to get tickets.

Live is where you really have to prove yourself.

U2 performed Sgt. Pepper live, the Beatles never did.

U2 were inducted into the Rock and Roll hall of Fame, with a number 1 album in many countries, with their original lineup when they became U2, not to mention the sold out tour the following weeks.

Is that not a legacy to be remembered?

I'm sure people will be talking about U2 in 30 years time. Especially if U2 go the way of Rolling Stones and tour in their 60's.

mmm I think it's been pretty established that U2 will be remembered 30 years from now, no one in here disagrees with that, now it's about U2 vs. The Beatles didn't see this discussion coming, I'll start some new ones on Coldplay and The Stones too since we never discuss that...

BEVERLY56 said:
George who? (JUST KIDDING!)

I'm not, George Harrison was the most OVERRATED musician that EVER lived. A guy that lived off the back of the genius songwriting of Lennon and McCartney. A very average guitarist and musician and I actually remember when he said this about U2. It was the day they played Roundhay Park on popmart tour 1997 and during that show, which I was at, Bono kept referencing this quote by fitting in a "My Sweet Lord" lyric in one of the songs that night.

rjhbonovox said:

I'm not, George Harrison was the most OVERRATED musician that EVER lived. A guy that lived off the back of the genius songwriting of Lennon and McCartney. A very average guitarist and musician and I actually remember when he said this about U2. It was the day they played Roundhay Park on popmart tour 1997 and during that show, which I was at, Bono kept referencing this quote by fitting in a "My Sweet Lord" lyric in one of the songs that night.

Overrated? Have you heard 'Here Comes The Sun'? Or 'Something'? Or 'Taxman'? Or 'Within You Without You'? Or others?

typhoon said:
Did you really need to quote that whole thing to add a three-word comment? Did you really?

whyever not? you're in a forum where people quote the post ABOVE THEM just to reply for crying out loud...I guessed it would be easier than just writing "*LIST HERE* and the line at the end in case people didn't know what the hell I was on about...don't go on as if I've just done you a huge wrong, here...! :eyebrow:

The ignorance here is overwhelming. I don't even know how to address it all. We need a system of some sort. Okay, if you don't believe that more than one band at a time can have a remarkable legacy, code your messages in green. If you don't understand how one can simultaneously disagree with George's statement but still respect him and his contribution to music, please write your messages in yellow. If you think the only song they ever wrote was "She Loves You (Yeah Yeah Yeah)" in 1963, then color your messages in violet. And so forth.

You guys sound like the other side of the people who say all U2 songs sound the same. Are you sure that, when you go to sleep, your Jekyll doesn't wake up and start writing on message boards about how Edge has been playing the same riff for twenty years? Harrison was a mediocre guitar player? In technical skill, sure (hell, lots of the Beatles' better known guitar parts were played by Lennon or McCartney), but he had taste and restraint and played parts that suited his songs. I hope I can come up with a guitar style and tone half as distinct and pleasant as George's. Kind of a funny point to get hung up on.

But if you're implying that an average songwriter could have done "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (maybe he was living off Eric Clapton's back?), "Something" (which Frank Sinatra called the greatest love song ever written; of course, maybe he disparaged U2 once and therefore sucks too), "Here Comes the Sun" (Paul played bass on that one, so George was obviously living off his back there), All Things Must Pass (I wonder if Phil Spector got tired from having George living on his back that whole time?), two albums with the Traveling Wilburies (Harrison's load was surely distributed evenly over Dylan's, Orbison's, Petty's, and Lynne's backs), and a host of other wonderful works that I won't bother to mention (since I doubt many here would recognize them; if anything, a lot of his stuff is underrated)...well, there must be a lot more below average musicians out there than even the most curmudgeonly cynic (like, say, George or half the people here) could suspect when a back catalogue like that isn't worth a nod.

Also:
thrillme said:
"Sunday Bloody Sunday", has the line about "broken bottles under children's feet, bodies strewn across the dead end street."
If you think any of U2's songs have a message more complicated than "All You Need Is Love" or "Give Peace A Chance," you give your rock stars too much credit. "Sunday, Bloody Sunday" takes the stance that both sides are wrong and should stop killing each other over their stupid revolution, which is certainly a bold sentiment, as certainly as it's an old one.
thrillme said:
Is that not a legacy to be remembered?
Obviously I think so, or I wouldn't be here. The point is that most reasonable people can remember both, and George's comments hardly devalue his legacy or call for yet another Beatle-bashing thread here on Interference.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
You guys sound like the other side of the people who say all U2 songs sound the same. Are you sure that, when you go to sleep, your Jekyll doesn't wake up and start writing on message boards about how Edge has been playing the same riff for twenty years? Harrison was a mediocre guitar player? In technical skill, sure (hell, lots of the Beatles' better known guitar parts were played by Lennon or McCartney), but he had taste and restraint and played parts that suited his songs. I hope I can come up with a guitar style and tone half as distinct and pleasant as George's. Kind of a funny point to get hung up on.

But if you're implying that an average songwriter could have done "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" (maybe he was living off Eric Clapton's back?), "Something" (which Frank Sinatra called the greatest love song ever written; of course, maybe he disparaged U2 once and therefore sucks too), "Here Comes the Sun" (Paul played bass on that one, so George was obviously living off his back there), All Things Must Pass (I wonder if Phil Spector got tired from having George living on his back that whole time?), two albums with the Traveling Wilburies (Harrison's load was surely distributed evenly over Dylan's, Orbison's, Petty's, and Lynne's backs), and a host of other wonderful works that I won't bother to mention (since I doubt many here would recognize them; if anything, a lot of his stuff is underrated)...well, there must be a lot more below average musicians out there than even the most curmudgeonly cynic (like, say, George or half the people here) could suspect when a back catalogue like that isn't worth a nod.

Stand by my statement. Overrated guitar player, and your "but he had taste and restraint and played parts that suited his songs" part, is another way of putting that the guy could barely tune the thing! Yep, he lived off the backs of 2 the greatest song writers in history and if he wasn't/hadn't been in The Beatles they would still have been as massive as they were. Its like saying Ringo Starr was an outstanding drummer, yeah right!:wink:

Oh and The Travelling Wilburys......SHITE!:wink:

gareth brown said:
whyever not? you're in a forum where people quote the post ABOVE THEM just to reply for crying out loud...I guessed it would be easier than just writing "*LIST HERE* and the line at the end in case people didn't know what the hell I was on about...don't go on as if I've just done you a huge wrong, here...! :eyebrow:
ummm...typhoon has a point. there's no need to quote an entire post if it's lengthy, especially if you're just going to reply with a couple words. i'm not trying to single you out here though, i see lots of people do this. it's unnecessary.

rjhbonovox said:
Stand by my statement. Overrated guitar player, and your "but he had taste and restraint and played parts that suited his songs" part, is another way of putting that the guy could barely tune the thing!
No, it's my way of saying "I liked the way he sounded." He had countless memorable leads. When did technical wankery become a requirement in rock music? Most listeners prefer feeling. I'm listening to "I'd Have You Anytime" right now, and it's some of the most beautiful slide work I can think of. And again, how many guitarists have a sound as recognizable as his? I'd kill to leave that kind of fingerprint on rock music.

He's remembered more as a songwriter than a guitarist anyway, which is why I think this is a funny thing to get hung up on. It's not like you see his name or any of his songs at the top of those stupid Top 100 Anything That Has To Do With A Guitar lists (those spots are reserved for Kurt Cobain, of course). So where are all these people who are overrating Harrison's guitar work? I really wanna know, I think I'd get along with them well. I only come across people like you who dog him for apparently not being flashy enough to warrant his stature as a Beatle.

As for his songwriting, the fact that he was able to distinguish himself as a songwriter in a band that included John Lennon and Paul McCartney speaks for itself. I don't see the association with Lennon-McCartney inflating the quality of his work at all; if anything, it made it harder for his songs to sound decent in comparison. Everyone knows he took a while to get going, but he (eventually) proved his worth on his own merit. No one thinks "Don't Bother Me" is high art, yet a lot of people seem to think he had the best song on Abbey Road (including Lennon). How is that overrated? Sounds to me like he had to earn every bit of recognition he got.

Last edited:
:lmao: I loved George -great man. We share the same birthday. I'd agree with whoever said he was 'misguided' in his U2 comment...

Originally posted by rjhbonovox
Stand by my statement. Overrated guitar player, and your "but he had taste and restraint and played parts that suited his songs" part, is another way of putting that the guy could barely tune the thing!

Er... not sure how to break this news to you dear - but you're talking nonsense. :wink:

If you are saying that George's 'restraint' meant that he could barely play, then what do you make of The Edge's minimalist approach (which is considerably enhanced his liberal use of echo delay)?

Well?

Yeah. That's what I thought you'd come back with.

As for your comment about "not a single crap track on any" Beatle album - yowzah! I can think of dozens of songs I wished my poor ears never heard. So yes, I can very much say the same about the Beatles as I have about U2.

I love the way we all spend hours debating something that has no right or wrong answer as it is completely subjective anyway. Iam, of course, gulity as charged... but it's still funny.

Last edited:
Moonlit_Angel said:
*Likes "Hello, Goodbye" and "Stay"*
*Likes the Beatles and U2* As I said before, I think they both have made excellent, memorable contributions to music.
*Does not agree with George's comment about U2* But meh, it's his opinion *Shrugs*.
That is all I have to say.
Angela

You said it! :up:

Added later: Hmm. Just read through the entire rjhbonovox a bit too seriously.:giggle:

Oranges are much better than apples. If you see what I mean

Last edited:
typhoon said:
The ignorance here is overwhelming. I don't even know how to address it all. We need a system of some sort. Okay, if you don't believe that more than one band at a time can have a remarkable legacy, code your messages in green. If you don't understand how one can simultaneously disagree with George's statement but still respect him and his contribution to music, please write your messages in yellow. If you think the only song they ever wrote was "She Loves You (Yeah Yeah Yeah)" in 1963, then color your messages in violet. And so forth.

:lmao:

Originally posted by typhoon if you don't believe that more than one band at a time can have a remarkable legacy, code your messages in green. If you don't understand how one can simultaneously disagree with George's statement but still respect him and his contribution to music, please write your messages in yellow. If you think the only song they ever wrote was "She Loves You (Yeah Yeah Yeah)" in 1963, then color your messages in violet. And so forth.

Don't be so colour prejudiced! :wink:

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:
You said it! :up:

Thank you :).

Also...just a personal thought in regards to George's guitar playing-I dunno, I'm pretty able to figure out when George is playing on a song. He's got a very noticeable sound. I personally would think that'd count for something. But that's just me :shrug:.

And...

rjhbonovox said:
Oh and The Travelling Wilburys......SHITE!:wink:

*Pretends she did not hear this :)*

Angela

I remember George playing on Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down (my theme song, being an opinionated so and so). His part wasn't a good example of what I call guitar wankery - it was very minimalis, in this case definintely a good thingt - but it was instantly recognisable as George. As opposed to the many guitarists who sound like another Yngwie wannabe. Or worse, another fake Hendrix, only minus any of Jimi's talent.

(I can't talk, I'm a bit of a guitar wanker myself - I like my solos! Never mind, eh.:giggle: )

KhanadaRhodes said:

ummm...typhoon has a point. there's no need to quote an entire post if it's lengthy, especially if you're just going to reply with a couple words. i'm not trying to single you out here though, i see lots of people do this. it's unnecessary.

ummm...okay.

U2Man said:

Thankyou.
smallbow.gif

I am gonna wade in and say I think the Beatles are seriously overrated.

Think about it - they were big like in the 60's - if they were around today they would not be anywhere near as popular (not even as much as U2 IMO) - back in those days there was hardly any competition and they were massive - but it would not be anything like that today IMO.

In partiucalr that sort of music probably wouldn;t sell as well - sure they set the way for the future according to some (most) but if they were almost first then how could they not??

They have a few good songs IMO, but not as many as U2 (or even as much as some of my other fave bans such as REM) - and certainly they don't have anything that compares with my fave U2 songs.

Of course it is unfair comparing bands from different times - a lot of people just listen to the Beatles thesedays (i.e younger people) just because of the hype still surrounding them - U2 will probably never have that sort of hype... doesn't mean the Beatles amde better music.

mo786 said:
I am gonna wade in and say I think the Beatles are seriously overrated.

They have a few good songs IMO, but not as many as U2 (or even as much as some of my other fave bans such as REM) - and certainly they don't have anything that compares with my fave U2 songs.

Of course it is unfair comparing bands from different times - a lot of people just listen to the Beatles thesedays (i.e younger people) just because of the hype still surrounding them - U2 will probably never have that sort of hype... doesn't mean the Beatles amde better music.

Saying the Beatles "have a few good songs" is just plain ignorant sorry if I come on strong because I don't want to insult you, but you better go and hear sgt peppers, magical mystery tour, rubber soul, revolver, and abbey road and come back and see if you can say the same thing, by the way how old are you?

sallycinnamon78 said:

Er... not sure how to break this news to you dear - but you're talking nonsense. :wink:

If you are saying that George's 'restraint' meant that he could barely play, then what do you make of The Edge's minimalist approach (which is considerably enhanced his liberal use of echo delay)?

Well?

Yeah. That's what I thought you'd come back with.

I still say he was/is an overrated guitarist. He was nothing more than a rhythm guitarist. Edge during the 80's was pretty one dimensional and it was Achtung Baby that showed what a great guitarist The Edge had matured into. Having said that though, The Edge has, on the past 2 albums, gone back to being a bit one dimensional, his solos on the last album were to put it mildly CRAP! Anyone that can say the solo in songs like Vertigo, Crumb from your table and All Becasue Of You etc are anything special need their ears syringing. Crumbs has got the worse imagination of a solo I have EVER heard where he just repeats the same line twice. Now getting back on topic, George Harrison being in The Beatles is what elevated him to being known as a great guitarist when in truth he was ordinary at best. No one on this forum is EVER gonna convince me that The Beatles wouldn't have been as massive with or without George Harrison who was like Ringo Starr and just made up the numbers in that band. It could have been Lennon and McCartney and pick any 2 other musicians with a semblance of music knowledge and the band would have virtually been the same. My opinion!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:

No one on this forum is EVER gonna convince me that The Beatles wouldn't have been as massive with or without George Harrison who was like Ringo Starr and just made up the numbers in that band. It could have been Lennon and McCartney and pick any 2 other musicians with a semblance of music knowledge and the band would have virtually been the same. My opinion!:wink:

:der:

Blue Jay Way
Don't Bother Me
For You Blue
Here Comes The Sun
I Me Mine
I Need You
I Want To Tell You
If I Needed Someone
It's All Too Much
Long, Long, Long
Love You To
Old Brown Shoe
Only A Northern Song
Piggies
Savoy Truffle
Something
Taxman
The Inner Light
Think For Yourself
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Within You Without You
You Like Me Too Much

I think you would have a very hard time finding anyone who could compose a similar set of songs.

Last edited:
LOL! if anything, George was underrated. Having banged on about all this being subjective, rjhbonovox, I guess it's best for me to just say :eyebrow: and leave it at that.

To each his/her/its own I suppose.

Aardvark747 said:
When during the Popmart tour, George Harrison took a look at the current music industry and said "In 30 years time, will anyone remember U2 or The Spice Girls?"

:|

George Harrison who?????????

:angry:

Back
Top Bottom