Is this the worst comment ever......?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:

Is this really true?

Axver's quote is spot on. I don't have the boot, but I remember this incident well. And, to be fair to U2/Bono, I was also quite irate with Harrison's comments.

If this were 1987, when U2 first broke through, perhaps Harrison would have had a point. U2 finally made the "big time" - but there was no guarantee how well U2 would be received in 30 years. JT might have been some "flash in the pan" album that would be laughed at years later.

However, by 1997, U2 had not only broke through, but maintained their position at or at least near the top. AB was just as brilliant - in the public's eye - as JT (IMO, AB was far more brilliant). U2 had "reinvented" themselves, and still succeeded. They had changed their sound and image dramatically, yet won over even more fans because of it.

If anything, it seemed that Harrison's comments were stated out of jealousy. I recall Harrison also stated that U2 had no idea what screaming fans were REALLY like - only he and his Beatles did. There's truth there - back in 1964/65, the Beatles were everywhere. Their concert in NY was SO loud - due to the sheer volume of screaming fans - that the Beatles couldn't even hear themselves play.

BUT....

This Beatlemania started to die down. A year later, the Beatles did NOT even sell out the venue! Shortly after that, the Beatles stopped touring completely. So while their albums will always remain legends, it's very arguable if the fanaticism they experienced in '64/'65 would have been seen in '68/'69. And, of course, by 1970, the Beatles were no more.

While U2 mania never hit the heights of that Beatle era, when I see devout long-time fans seeing as many shows as they possibly can each tour (me included), that tells me something. We aren't the screaming maniacs (not that U2 concerts don't get VERY loud) that those girls were in '64 - and I think that's actually a good thing. We are there to be enveloped by the music and the concert experience, not fantasize about being married to a mop-top.

Still, the Beatles will always be remembered as one of the first in so many areas. U2 can't have that by the very fact that they were born later. However, Harrison's comments seemed outright ridiculous if not downright insane. No band has experienced what he did in '64. And by '97, U2 had established themselves as one of the best bands EVER in rock music. For Harrison to state that U2 were on the same level as the Spice Girls was about as insulting a comment one could make. Therefore, IMO, Bono's comments and actions toward Harrison were justified.

Of course, they weren't very professional. :wink: Bono recognized this and later publicly apologized for them. He's also stated how he and the rest of U2 adored the Beatles and Harrison, but that Harrison clearly was not a fan of theirs. Fortunately, McCartney is - and that may arguably be better.

typhoon said:
"I Saw Her Standing There"
"Love Me Do"
"Please Please Me"
"From Me To You"
"She Loves You"
"I Want To Hold Your Hand"
"All My Loving"
"A Hard Day's Night"
"And I Love Her"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"I Feel Fine"
"No Reply"
"Eight Days A Week"
"Help!"
"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away"
"Ticket To Ride"
"Yesterday"
"Norwegian Wood"
"Nowhere Man"
"In My Life"
"Day Tripper"
"We Can Work It Out"
"Rain"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Here, There, and Everywhere"
"Across the Universe"
"Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Penny Lane"
"All You Need Is Love"
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"
"With A Little Help From My Friends"
"Within You, Without You"
"A Day In the Life"
"The Fool On the Hill"
"I Am the Walrus"
"Hello, Goodbye"
"Lady Madonna"
"Hey, Jude"
"Revolution"
"Back In the U.S.S.R."
"Blackbird"
"Happiness Is A Warm Gun"
"Birthday"
"Helter Skelter"
"Get Back"
"Don't Let Me Down"
"Let It Be"
"The Long and Winding Road"
"Come Together"
"Something"
"Here Comes the Sun"

Remember any of those? Don't lie now.

U2's entire recorded output is only about twice the size of that list (keep in mind that it's only some highlights from a mere seven years), so I'm really curious how you could possibly come up with a more impressive list. Maybe "Mofo" and "A Man and a Woman" are timeless classics now?

So basically, one's legacy only starts once they're no longer recording.

I'm not asking you personally, it just seems a band has to break up, end, in order for their legacy to start, or at least that's what I've picked up on.

Actually, I try not to remember some of those songs.

U2 get hanged for allegedly writing "safe pop songs", yet a number of the songs you listed, based on the lyrics I've heard, are safe pop songs. What's so unsafe about writing about girls, being in love? Nothing.

The Beatles are loved by a lot of people, aren't they the ultimate mainstream band, yet it's okay for them, but U2 or any other band "plays it safe" and oh "terrible, sellouts!"

Make up your minds people, either writing safe pop songs is okay, or it's not and just selling out and cashing in and appealing to the mainstream.

I have every U2 album, a few b-sides, I can't find one straight-forward love song. Closest is "All I Want is You" but apparently I'm missing something, cos a few have said it's not really a good song to say...get married to.

U2...well Bono mostly, writes about things, some rock lyricists won't touch with a 20 foot pole.

+++

That Lennon quote about the Rolling Stones...so I guess he never really saw the Beatles as having any long term future?

+++

I dunno, think maybe there was just a hint of jealousy with Harrison at the time?

A bunch of kids out of Ireland (they were in their teens when they started), ended up having a career longer than his band.

The Rolling Stones, even longer.

Nice to see a discussion in a thread of mine!

Any chance of an upload of that little speech then Axver? I believe he dropped George's name into another song during that Leeds gig...can't recall which tho.

I wont ever slag him for saying what he did, it was his opinion. And George is a legend....forget about The Beatles, without George there would've been no 'Life Of Brian':drool:

Yimou - u know it son!:yes:

Aardvark747 said:
Any chance of an upload of that little speech then Axver? I believe he dropped George's name into another song during that Leeds gig...can't recall which tho.

I tried to find my copy of that show and I can't. :(

Some of my bootlegs are in a total mess ...

Aardvark747 said:

I wont ever slag him for saying what he did, it was his opinion. And George is a legend....forget about The Beatles, without George there would've been no 'Life Of Brian':drool:

Yimou - u know it son!:yes:

You know it :yes:

EBTTRT - http://s37.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=2EQUX850Y5YAM25CLAHV6940WW ( George remark in the intro )

And just for the hell of it i uploaded Mofo because it rocks !!!
Mofo - http://s37.you sendit.com/d.aspx?id=0XOVR0SXHEWO01C6PUFL1AAZVL

Last edited:
George Harrison was a legend but he was a prick.
The Beatles are incredible, so are u2.
I like u2 a lot more but if someone told me the Beatles were a better band it's not like I would argue the point.

u2 will be remembered a long time after 30 years.

Leeds 97 :rockon:
best Popmart boot

Wow, my transcription off memory was extremely close!

Axver said:

"Good people of Yorkshire, you've made a terrible mistake! George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all just lemons and big fucking hats and air! Well, I've one thing for you, George: pump it up!"
- start of Even Better Than The Real Thing, Popmart Leeds, 28 August 1997

"Good people of Yorkshire, you've made a terrible mistake. George Harrison says you shouldn't be here. It's all big fucking hats and lemons and air! I've one thing for you, George: pump it up!"

thrillme said:

So basically, one's legacy only starts once they're no longer recording.

I'm not asking you personally, it just seems a band has to break up, end, in order for their legacy to start, or at least that's what I've picked up on.

Actually, I try not to remember some of those songs.

U2 get hanged for allegedly writing "safe pop songs", yet a number of the songs you listed, based on the lyrics I've heard, are safe pop songs. What's so unsafe about writing about girls, being in love? Nothing.

The Beatles are loved by a lot of people, aren't they the ultimate mainstream band, yet it's okay for them, but U2 or any other band "plays it safe" and oh "terrible, sellouts!"

Make up your minds people, either writing safe pop songs is okay, or it's not and just selling out and cashing in and appealing to the mainstream.

I have every U2 album, a few b-sides, I can't find one straight-forward love song. Closest is "All I Want is You" but apparently I'm missing something, cos a few have said it's not really a good song to say...get married to.

U2...well Bono mostly, writes about things, some rock lyricists won't touch with a 20 foot pole.

+++

That Lennon quote about the Rolling Stones...so I guess he never really saw the Beatles as having any long term future?

+++

I dunno, think maybe there was just a hint of jealousy with Harrison at the time?

A bunch of kids out of Ireland (they were in their teens when they started), ended up having a career longer than his band.

The Rolling Stones, even longer.

Your legacy starts as soon as you write something that is an eternal classical masterpiece. Yesterday, for instance, was from day 1 the world heard it.

And no, it simply isn't possible to be jealous at any other band on this planet today if you were a member of The Beatles. I highly doubt that George Harrison would have liked to switch positions.

You say U2's career have been longer than the Beatles'? Well, yes they have stuck together for a longer time. But may I remind you that even though The Beatles only recorded albums in 7 years, they managed to make more albums than U2 have done so far in 25+ years - and not a single real crap track on any album! You cannot quite say the same about U2's albums.

I don't mean to diminish George Harrison's opinion (because he's entitled to it; and, believe it or not, some people just don't like U2). However, I think that, at that time, many people recognized that he was dying of brain cancer and things didn't always come out the way he meant them.

I remember hearing that U2 was on tour (in England I think) when they heard about George's comments. I think they were puzzled by them to say the least. I don't think they held much ill-will toward him after it since they continued to say positive things about him, played his songs (i.e. My Sweet Lord) at shows after he died, etc..

I would counter, U2Man, that U2's legacy is - by your definition - just as strong.

People know "I Will Follow". Even I'm amazed at how well known this song is. Even casual music fans know and adore this song - from U2's first album.

But if that isn't enough, classic songs like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day" already secured U2's place in history. Neither song was a huge hit in the U.S., but both songs have transcended time and become appropriate for all generations of music.

As for your comment about "not a single crap track on any" Beatle album - yowzah! I can think of dozens of songs I wished my poor ears never heard. So yes, I can very much say the same about the Beatles as I have about U2.

Yes, the Beatles were far more productive, but that was a vastly different era - an age where an artist would release 2 albums in a year; an age where singles dominated and albums were more of "after-thoughts". U2 doesn't live in that era - singles aren't even released in the U.S. anymore (only via radio). Admittedly, U2 creates albums far more slowly - but not in their early years. They were at a similar pace to the Beatles then. It's only when U2 started to enjoy success, tour longer and change directions that their albums started taking longer. I also want to point out that all of the members of U2 have done infinitely more side projects than the Beatles. I once had a list of the things they did between "Zooropa" and "Pop" - and it was mind-boggling. Also, since the Beatles stopped touring mid-way through their careers, I would contend that you can't really compare the two bands. U2 tours for a year or more after most albums. The JT/R&H era toured from '87 through early 1990! Granted, there were some breaks, but that's a long time on the road.

While one might argue that the members of the Beatles were more creative, again, a different era was present. U2 have to work a lot harder, IMO, to produce quality music - partly because of bands like the Beatles. Likewise, newer artists have to work harder partly because of bands like U2. One can always make some flashy rock song that captures the zeitgeist of a particular season, but will it be remembered in 5 years? 10 years? 30 years? The Beatles have proven their music stands the test of time. U2 have shown the same.

Knuckle said:
I don't mean to diminish George Harrison's opinion (because he's entitled to it; and, believe it or not, some people just don't like U2). However, I think that, at that time, many people recognized that he was dying of brain cancer and things didn't always come out the way he meant them.

I remember hearing that U2 was on tour (in England I think) when they heard about George's comments. I think they were puzzled by them to say the least. I don't think they held much ill-will toward him after it since they continued to say positive things about him, played his songs (i.e. My Sweet Lord) at shows after he died, etc..

These comments were in '97, before Harrison was diagnosed with brain cancer.

U2Man said:
even though The Beatles only recorded albums in 7 years, they managed to make more albums than U2 have done so far in 25+ years - and not a single real crap track on any album!

Oh, I don't know about that. I'd hardly consider "Wild Honey Pie", "You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)" or "Revolution No. 9" to be good songs. If you're a songwriter, you're occasionally going to pen a bad song; to err is human. The trick is to keep the crap songs to a minimum. ;)

Wild Honey Pie, You Know My Name, Revolution nr. 9 were never really meant as songs. The difference is that when Beatles made songs that were below their normal standards it was at least funny and it still contained some fair melody, like Yellow Submarine. When U2 write a song below their normal standards, it's just plain boring, like Miami, Love Rescue me, or Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car.

But nevermind that. Perhaps I should have written that Beatles' albums only contain a vanishing amount of doubtful material.

Last edited:
I like all 3 of those U2 songs:eyebrow:

I don't like those Beatles songs:wink:

@doctorwho

Do you seriously think that I Will Follow is in the same category as Yesterday or Here, There and Everywhere????

What happened in the period where U2 was just as productive as the Beatles, as you say? They produced "October"! Did Beatles ever produce an album so way below their normal standards?

I would seriously doubt that bands have to work harder today because of earlier bands' accomplishments. This is art, it is about song writing, about inspiration! It hasn't become more complicated to write a good song today than it was back then. You also got to remember that Beatles didn't enjoy the benefits of technology that bands of today do.

Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Years Day. Certainly good rocking songs. But musically, certainly not innovative in any possible way. They don't contain anything that the world hasn't heard in the last 40-50 years. Just straight-forward rock.

Last edited:
LJT said:
I like all 3 of those U2 songs:eyebrow:

I don't like those Beatles songs:wink:

:tsk: teddy :tsk:

You still have a lot to learn! Good thing, you're going to uni now and congratulations btw. :wink:

U2Man said:

:tsk: teddy :tsk:

You still have a lot to learn! Good thing, you're going to uni now and congratulations btw. :wink:

Thanks U2man:D

I guess the lasting memory of me is still the teddy:hmm:

I can't believe we're comparing The Beatles to U2. They're apples and oranges as far as I'm concerned.

While I think George's comment was crap, I still think he was brilliant. And as Aardvark747 mentioned, without George, there would've been no "Life of Brian." You guys should be worshipping the man, as far as I'm concerned! :mad:

:wink:

Beatles wrote an incredible amount of great and innovative songs. I like their music, I respect them, I respect George but that comment was really really bad. U2 were around for 17 years...

Oh, what a shame... there are probably only 4/5 U2 songs that I would call crap... Crashed Car and Miami are two of them :laugh: Don't care about it, it's just a personal taste.

I remember when Bono stuck the middle finger up to that comment on the Popmart tour....should try to find the picture for it!

typhoon said:
"Love Me Do"
"Please Please Me"
"From Me To You"
"She Loves You"
"All My Loving"
"A Hard Day's Night"
"And I Love Her"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"I Feel Fine"
"No Reply"
"Eight Days A Week"
"Help!"
"Ticket To Ride"
"Yesterday"
"Norwegian Wood"
"Nowhere Man"
"In My Life"
"Day Tripper"
"We Can Work It Out"
"Rain"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Across the Universe"
"Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Penny Lane"
"All You Need Is Love"
"A Day In the Life"
"The Fool On the Hill"
"I Am the Walrus"
"Hello, Goodbye"
"Lady Madonna"
"Hey, Jude"
"Revolution"
"Back In the U.S.S.R."
"Blackbird"
"Birthday"
"Helter Skelter"
"Get Back"
"Don't Let Me Down"
"Let It Be"
"Come Together"
"Something"
"Here Comes the Sun"

U2's entire recorded output is only about twice the size of that list (keep in mind that it's only some highlights from a mere seven years), so I'm really curious how you could possibly come up with a more impressive list. Maybe "Mofo" and "A Man and a Woman" are timeless classics now?

I Will follow
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New years day
Pride
Bad
Unforgettable Fire
Where the Street shave No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
With or Without you
Bullet The Blue Sky
Running To Stand Still
One Tree Hill
Sweetest Thing
Desire
All I want Is You
The Fly
Even better Than the real Thing
One
Until The End of the World
Mysterious Ways
Stay
Numb
Love Me, Thrill Me...
Ms Sarajevo
Discotheque
Mofo
Staring At the Sun
Gone
Beautiful Day
Stuck In a Momnet
Elevation
Walk On
Vertigo
Somtimes You can't make it on your Own
COBL
Original of the Species.

I'm sure there are plenty of others I've omitted...

Beatles are a great band but also one of the most over rated bands in music history and always will be because of the time they came out which was perfect for them. If they came out today I dont think they would do nearly as well or have nearly as many timeless classics.

typhoon said:
"Love Me Do"
"Please Please Me"
"From Me To You"
"She Loves You"
"All My Loving"
"A Hard Day's Night"
"And I Love Her"
"Can't Buy Me Love"
"I Feel Fine"
"No Reply"
"Eight Days A Week"
"Help!"
"Ticket To Ride"
"Yesterday"
"Norwegian Wood"
"Nowhere Man"
"In My Life"
"Day Tripper"
"We Can Work It Out"
"Rain"
"Eleanor Rigby"
"Across the Universe"
"Tomorrow Never Knows"
"Penny Lane"
"All You Need Is Love"
"A Day In the Life"
"The Fool On the Hill"
"I Am the Walrus"
"Hello, Goodbye"
"Lady Madonna"
"Hey, Jude"
"Revolution"
"Back In the U.S.S.R."
"Blackbird"
"Birthday"
"Helter Skelter"
"Get Back"
"Don't Let Me Down"
"Let It Be"
"Come Together"
"Something"
"Here Comes the Sun"

I like to add "Yellow Submarine" and "Michelle" to that list. :D

I don't agree with what George said, but that was his right to say it. Did it make me think less of him, no. Did it make me not like The Beatles anymore, no. Celebrities are always throwing comments like that around. You should take them like water off a duck's back. In my opinion, yes U2 will be remembered 30, 40 even 50 years from now. How can they not be. I for one though believe U2 doesn't have as many songs to be considered timeless classics like The Beatles do. There is no comparision in that department.

The Beatles also relied heavily on drugs to boost their creativity. U2's brilliance came naturally..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom