is this Bonos most mis-dressed performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never mind the shirt and pants -- that really is one hell of a mullet! :lol:

Fashion crimes aside, methinks that (for me) this is the second best performance of SBS i have witnessed. Rattle and hum wins the prize for best. I think youtube is a gift from the gods!

he had grabbed that shirt from a fan in the crowd - it wasn't like it was part of his regular stage attire. i actually think it is pretty cool ...

I like the shirt, but those tight leather pants make me think Bono had other intentions besides just making his legs sweat. :huh:

Missing the point

Given that the songs Sunday Bloody Sunday, and that those colours are those of the Irish tricolour, and represent:

Green - Catholic
White - Peace
Orange - Protestant

I think on a symbolism level, it's entirely appropriate.

Not the coolest look, by any means. But if U2 were only about cool, they wouldn;t be my favourite band!

Scary eyebrows.... :yikes:

Was that the performance they used for the audio version of UABRS? It sounds really familiar, and I don't have any boots from that era. :scratch: I've heard they used the audio of a show in Germany for SBS at least, not the Red Rocks performance.

I love the Loreley 83 concert. I wore mine out but have since been lucky enough to download a pristine DVD from one of the torrent sites.

Anyway this is the version of SBS from UABRS so the audio is already famous.

gman said:
Fashion crimes aside, methinks that (for me) this is the second best performance of SBS i have witnessed. Rattle and hum wins the prize for best. I think youtube is a gift from the gods!

Yes, YouTube is so much fun - and it's at worst, PG-13 rating (from what I've seen), so fun for the whole family! :sexywink:

I really enjoyed the performance. This was the "War" tour, so back in '83, we were dealing with the rise of some weird clothing in acts, like Culture Club, Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, etc. Bono's flag-themed shirt and leather pants may seem out of place on the streets, but as the lead singer of a blossoming rock band in '83, he was pretty tame!

As for the performance - very strong. But this is the one time where I thought Edge was really off vocally. Great guitar work as always, but Edge there sounded like Bono does now when he has a cold! LOL!

doctorwho said:

As for the performance - very strong. But this is the one time where I thought Edge was really off vocally. Great guitar work as always, but Edge there sounded like Bono does now when he has a cold! LOL!

I was thinking that Edge was really screaming his lines there... not sure if he was particularly pissed off that day or just had a frog in his throat... I guess the band still thought it was better than the Red Rocks recording. :shrug:

* Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live from St. Goarshausen) (5:17)

LINER NOTES
All songs composed by U2. Producer: Jimmy Iovine. Mixed by Shelly Yakus at the Hit Factory, NYC. Assistant engineering by Bobby Cohen. Mastered by Stephen Marcussen at Precision Lacquer, LA. Design by RX for The Creative Department, Dublin. Monitor photography by Jacobus van Hespen from "Under a Blood Red Sky" a "U2 at Red Rocks Associates" production.

Denver Recordings: Location recording by Steve Lillywhite. Produced for Source by EDR Entertainment and recorded on the Effanel Music Mobile Facility, Denver, Co. June 5th, 1983.
Boston Recordings: Location recording, produced by DIR Broadcasting and recorded on the Effanel Music Mobile, Boston, Mass. May 6th, 1983.
St. Goarshausen Recordings: Location recording courtesy of "Rockpalast 83", WDR Television, West Germany, August 20th, 1983.

Back
Top Bottom